Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a stearing damper, just dont want to spend alot on one. What do ya'll recommend? Shindy?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
good and cheap are generally mutually exclusive terms. I know the linear type are cheaper than the rotary in many cases. But you really do get what you pay for. Personally I look at it this way, a damper is a safety device. My life is worth more than $400 to me so I go with the best I can possibly afford. Thats my same view on leathers and helmets.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Rivetgeek
good and cheap are generally mutually exclusive terms. I know the linear type are cheaper than the rotary in many cases. But you really do get what you pay for. Personally I look at it this way, a damper is a safety device. My life is worth more than $400 to me so I go with the best I can possibly afford. Thats my same view on leathers and helmets.
agreed but something is better than nothing, correct? I'm just not trying to drop much more cash in this bike...trying to save up for a 636, but I have recently became obsessed with wheelies and think a damper would be a good invenstment..lol.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you could get a factory gsxr linear damper on ebay for under $20. you could change the oil weight and get better damping from it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
sinful, if you get a rotary style damper, you can transfer it to your new bike. Not sure about the linear types though.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
all you'd really need is some way to attach it to the fork leg or the triple clamp. i know vortex and protek make fork leg adapters, im sure you can find one on ebay as well. you need a 41mm leg clamp. good luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I understand how that one works and what else I would need to get it hooked up. It wouldn't attach to the left side of the frame like the shindy's? Sorry for being dumb about the topic, but this would be exactly what I would be looking to do with this bike if I could understand completely what needed to be done, so I can order everything I'll need.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
it would not be a direct bolt on, you would need to make it mount up, but for under $100 easy you can make it work perfect, and i am doing this aswell and i am in the same position, i want a 636 so i am not going to spend alot on it that i cant put on the new bike...
Ben

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well let me know what all you buy and I will follow suit...lol, I have no idea...I'm good with installing shit and whatnot, just not sure what all I will need with the factory gixer damper

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to a couple sellers on ebay about the stock gsxr damper and they all had doubts on it working. One guy said that it *definately* wouldn't work because the zx6r was longer

which do ya'll suggest me buying brand new from say ronayers? Is it possible to get a good damper for around 200?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
if it fits 98-99 i think it would fit the 00+bikes, but most dampeners that say 00-02 or 05-07 zzr600 will not work due to they utilize the stud welded on the frame that is not on the 98 or 99. but any rotory will work on all years but side mount ones are specific or use the older model for the newer bike if you get what i mean...
Ben

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.