Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to custom paint my bike this weekend. I am pretty good painter, which I inherited from my oldest brother. :D But I am not sure what kind of brands I should use to spray paint my 250R...I'm planning to only use white(1 can) and black primer (2 cans) and 3 or 4 cans of clear coat to protect the paint and to give off glossy finish. Do anyone have any suggestions?? I saw a bunch of paints at hardware today, and those were krylon, and xo rust...I'm not even sure if they are that good. I'm not gonna order anything off internet since I don't want to wait.

The gas tank, part of the front section (headlight), and front fender will remain lime green, while the side of the front section (sides of the headlight) and the whole fairings will be turned black, and then the rear seat fairings will be white. So it can match my helmet and as well as get that feel of 02-03 zx6r's lime green scheme.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
27,368 Posts
I used Krylons Fusion on my plastic fenders on my Jeep and that stuff is awesome. Bonds to plastic quite nicely.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
PJ1 makes really good black... I don't know if they make any colors besides white though. Try an automotive store before you try a hardware store. The paint will cost more, but it'll finish better.

You'll want to make sure that you get "gas proof" paint. Otherwise gasoline will damage the paint if you spill any on the tank.

As far as actual painting goes what you want to do is lay down the lightest coat that you possibly can on top of the plastic. Then build from there. But you need that one REALLY light coat to make it bond well. If you do that right then take your time doing the rest of it no one will be able to tell the difference between your rattle can job and a professional job. Except yours will be FAR easier to scratch.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My both sides of the fairings are going to be turned black. But I'm worried about it would chip off, so I asked my middle brother if that I should at least rough up them with sandpaper so that way it becomes all rough on the surface. My middle brother was like "No you don't need to do that"...But I don't really want to listen to him. Since I know that the rougher surface be, the better it will bonds. Am I right?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just use some good old clear coat after.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
27,368 Posts
the Krylon Fusion doesn't require sanding. My fenders are black plastic. They had faded over the years of sitting out in the sun. I cleaned them with an alcohol based cleaner and sprayed it on. It went on smoothe and its holding up quite well to the wheeling I've been doing lately.(branches, mud, rocks) Comes in quite a few colors too including satin and gloss black.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
:D just trying to give out useful advice to my fellow KF members. Do what I can where I can. You know me... public service is my goal in life.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
Here's some work I did on my old car.... here's how I did it...

Crashed cause I didn't think I'd make it through this turn, scared shit out of me.
So I belet sanded it with my Bosch 4"x24" belt sander with 50 grit paper
Sprayed it on with a rattle can from home depot

And here's the result. Looks amazing. If you can see where it's at tell me, but I bet you cant. Its about 1½ by 1 foot section in this pic...

post up pics of what your painting and beofre and after. Take pictures while you do it to show people how you did it. I wish i had kept mine so I could help you out a little more. Seriously good luck man. it' s alot of fun.

Attachments

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Here's some work I did on my old car.... here's how I did it...

Crashed cause I didn't think I'd make it through this turn, scared shit out of me.
So I belet sanded it with my Bosch 4"x24" belt sander with 50 grit paper
Sprayed it on with a rattle can from home depot

And here's the result. Looks amazing. If you can see where it's at tell me, but I bet you cant. Its about 1½ by 1 foot section in this pic...

post up pics of what your painting and beofre and after. Take pictures while you do it to show people how you did it. I wish i had kept mine so I could help you out a little more. Seriously good luck man. it' s alot of fun.
That is beautiful man! Kudos to a great job. BTW ... it is very helpful that you listed your steps on how to do this, but you omitted a very important step. "Wash the surface you wish to paint". I could easily see someone missing that step.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
That is beautiful man! Kudos to a great job. BTW ... it is very helpful that you listed your steps on how to do this, but you omitted a very important step. "Wash the surface you wish to paint". I could easily see someone missing that step.
I peed on mine. since it was a small area... no big deal.

Jk kidding. yea you gotta wash it. use dishwashing or landuary soap. the more concentration is better for the area. use a soft cloth though works better.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I'm thinking about using metal wire brush dabbed with solvent to scrub and rough up
the fairings, and the headlight section. Would that work ok or thats a big fail?

I'll check out the automotive first, if nothing works out to my likings the I'll resort to Krylon with heavy coating of clearcoat. Probably gonna spray it 4 times layered after the black has been painted.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
So I'm thinking about using metal wire brush dabbed with solvent to scrub and rough up
the fairings, and the headlight section. Would that work ok or thats a big fail?
That will work ... but the solvent that will make the job easier is called, "Aircraft Stripper". It is potent stuff, but it will make the paint prep job much quicker and much easier. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.