Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have either the A* SMX4 or Sidi Strada Evo Air?

Currently I just wear Timberlands when I ride, but I'd like to get some riding boots. These looks like good choices, so let me know your reviews or if you have any other ideas. I'd like to stay under $200 max.
I only do street riding now, but I'd like to do some track days in the future too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
check out newenough.com .i know there are some SIDI's, i think the B-2 model for about $220. i got the sidi vertebra's for $235 but they were a closeout. anyway, they were well worth the $$. very comfy, easy to walk in, easy to shift in, and great protection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have owned the Alpinestars SMX-4's and currently have the SMX-R's from New Enough. Here was a brief review I wrote at the time comparing the two. http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55379
After 5 months with the SMX-R's, I'm even more pleased that I spent a few extra bucks for them. Incredibly comfortable! ($233 at the present time)

Here is a picture of the SMX-R when it was brand new.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I have the S-MX4 and I like them. Not like an full-out race book, but pretty firm around the ankles, plastic around the toe, fairly waterproof, and uses a tuck-in for the pants.

If you thick calves, getting your pants into the boot might be a snug fit.

Make sure you check the zippers before wearing and keeping them. On my right side, one zip keeps getting skipped, but it really doesn't make a difference.

It's also good for medium sized (width) feet. I have narrow feet, so they're a little wide for me, but since they've got leather, they break in, mold to your feet, and become very comfortable. So I've been commuting 2 months, and no regrets getting this boot.

What are you looking to do with them?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
You may want to go to your friendly local dealership and try a pair on to make sure you get the right size. If you like them, then buy them online. I did that with my Diadoras, and they fit great. They held up well in a 50mph lowside too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
love my Sidi Vertigo Corsas

Highly recommend them. Try them on if you can. Different brands will fit differently. It's not just about getting the right size.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Originally posted by psycho_penguin
check out newenough.com .i know there are some SIDI's, i think the B-2 model for about $220. i got the sidi vertebra's for $235 but they were a closeout. anyway, they were well worth the $$. very comfy, easy to walk in, easy to shift in, and great protection.
[:Agree]

I've been using my Vertabra 2's (black pair in pic) for over two years and they've held up great. I ride year round, rain or shine, street and track, and they're still in great condition aside from a few scuffs. They give really good feel and break in quickly. I picked up a pair of Vertabra 2 Race (white boots in pic) a couple months ago from NewEnough.com since the deal was too good to pass up.... The Vertigo (model that replaced the Vertabra) is also a very comfortable but I opted for another set of Vertabra's since I'm not a big fan of how the heel cup/shock absorber looks.
A*s are great boots as well but the Sidi's fit my foot a lot better and feel less bulky especially under jeans. The range of calf adjustment is also nice and very leathers tucked in boot friendly.....:D

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
[:+1] on the Vertebras... You can't go wrong with Sidi boots... they have great range of motion, excellent protection, and are comfortable too. Not cheap, but this is a case of "you get what you pay for.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I love my A* boots...little more difficult to shift as opposed to just sneakers but you'll be glad you wore your boots if/when you crash...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the reviews. I think I will look at some of the more exp ones too. Adjustable calves would be good, since my mine are kinda big.

I find that most dealers here don't stock many boots, but I know one place that does have a few. Might have to go there this weekend.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the A*s and they are great boots, but if you can save up a little more cash and get the sidis, dont think theres a better boot around.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have the A* SMX Plus and I love them. Great boot. Go to motostrano.com and check out their clearence, I think they have a ton of A* boots for cheap right now, thats where I bought mine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the SIDI vertebra and they were a bit tight at first but I am slowly breaking them in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have A* S-MX R boots and love them. Make sure you visit somewhere to try the damn things on though. I wear a size 9 Nike and when I tried on the A* 9 it was HUGE. I ended getting an A* 6 to fit my foot snug. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My SMX Plus are a 48, which is like a 12.5 I think, and I wear a 12-13 in Nike shoes so mine are close.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I dont know how you guys do it but I cant wear race boots for daily riding and walking around. I use Astar SMX-3's for the track but I use Astar touring boots for daily rides. They are a lot more comfy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
FYI, there is a group buy going on for Sidi Boots at the moment in the Group Buy section. The vendor has stated that exchanges will not be a problem if the sizes aren't as expected. Check it out....

-Kimball

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.