Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Yosh slip-on for my '03 636...It sounds sooooooooo sweet, nice deep and throaty, but not too annoying...I just installed it a couple days ago and I noticed after riding it that it was smoking and it had a bad kind of burning smell coming out out of the end off the muffler, nothing that I've ever seen or smelt before...This is my first time ever putting a new exhaust on my bike and I know its normal for new exhausts systems and mufflers to smoke until the oil residue burns off...But I actually have ridden it hard 2 times since I put it on and I would think that the oil residue would of definately have burned off by now...So I'm thinking that something else might be wrong...Any comments or inputs would be greatly appreciated...Thanks Guys!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
IMO is going to take more than 2 hard rides for all of it burn off. I don't know how much different a car pipe is from a bike but it took about a whole week for all the smell/smoke to go away on mine.

I also have question because I'm thinking about getting a pipe my self. Do you get more/less HP from a slip on?, or is it just for sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I believe the smell is coming from the muffler packing. It will go away after a few more rides.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i think you get a small hp increase but nothing like a full system. i guess people get them more for the sound and look

·
Registered
755 Posts
All manufacturers tell you that for a couple or three rides that excess oil and packaging from the pipe will burn off, smoke, and smell like shit (not in those exact words probably).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha thanks a lot guys, I'll wait for a few more rides to see what happens and since you guys said it takes more than 2, I should have nothing to worry about! Im very very very satisfied with the way the Yosh sounds!!!

Boricua- Like spartan said, I got the exhaust for the sound. As we know the stock exhaust for the zx-6r just purrs a tiny bit, nothing spectacular, more quiet than anything...But yes you can increase a couple notches in the HP dept. with a slip-on...And if you put a full-system on you will get more HP's and Db's then a slip-on...When you get a new exhaust they say you should re-jet adjust the carbs, and re-map it...But if your bike is fuel-injected all you really have to do is re-map it, so that your fuel system is in sync with your new exhaust.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Remapping is changing the fuel / air mixtures at various points in the powerband to mesh up better with the less restrictive pipe. There are different maps due to different restriction and air flow with each brand, but there might be a dead spot occasionally with a new pipe in the powerband without remapping the FI with a PCBIII.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.