Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys .

I recently got a 500 mile old ninja 250r for a discount at a dealership , the bike runs great and I love it , however I may had ran it a little hard from the beginning , going on sprints from 0-60 and I took it on a expressway run where the RPMs where constantly over 10k rpms for like 20 minutes .

THe bike runs good and I have put 150 miles on it since , now the rush has died out and I am riding more conservative but after reading some posts I am worried .

when I got the bike it had its first oil change before they gave it to me , if something had messed up , would there be any signs ? do you guys think the bike survived the initial abuse ? ( it was only like 6 times I reved it high ) and I WOT it once in a while to pass someone

Should the bike be pretty broken in at this point ? I don't hear any weird noises and there is no smoke coming out of the rear pipe , also oil level is normal and has not dropped .

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
imo i think it will be fine and you didnt do any damage

some ppl WOT right out of the dealership with them.. i dont think you will have a problem but just keep an eye out on your oil and coolant and all that good stuff

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imo i think it will be fine and you didnt do any damage

some ppl WOT right out of the dealership with them.. i dont think you will have a problem but just keep an eye out on your oil and coolant and all that good stuff
Hi Wes and thanks for the reply , what signs would there be for any damage ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Running the bikes hard from the get-go is a good thing. The only "worrisome" thing about break-in IS running it at a constant RPM for long periods of time. You want to constantly vary the RPMs. But by 500 miles it's pretty well broken in and these bikes will run all day long at 10,000 RPM.

It's good they did the initial oil change early as well. You want to push the bike hard from the get-go and do a couple of oil changes to make sure everything is clean. So yeah sounds like you're good to go.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Running the bike too hard from new is not a good thing. Neither is running it too soft. But the first 500 miles was already done so there's nothing you can do about it.

Just ride it normally. It'll stand 20 minutes - and a good bit more - at high revs. As ong as it seems to be running OK, the only thing you need to do is watch the oil consumption. If it uses a lot of oil; you might have something worry about.

With such a near new bike, isn't it under warranty anyway if anything goes wrong?

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running the bike too hard from new is not a good thing. Neither is running it too soft. But the first 500 miles was already done so there's nothing you can do about it.

Just ride it normally. It'll stand 20 minutes - and a good bit more - at high revs. As ong as it seems to be running OK, the only thing you need to do is watch the oil consumption. If it uses a lot of oil; you might have something worry about.

With such a near new bike, isn't it under warranty anyway if anything goes wrong?

Rob
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies .

Well the oil seems fine and no white smoke so maybe I dodged the bullet , the guy that had it before me I heard drove it slow (I bought it with 500 miles ), but this is what the salesman said and I don't trust those guys.

The warranty is only 1 year ,and the bike is 2010 so no , unfortunately the warranty is done for .

Regards.

Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts