Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the 2006 ZX-6R.

I have nothing to compare this to, but I think the bike rides a little rough. After about 20 minutes or riding (have ridden only 25 miles so far and all below 4500 RPM), my hands were numb with minor but constant vibrations.

Is something wrong? If so, what could be the probable causes? Would this go away after break-in?

Also, gear shifts are not as smooth. Actually let me rephrase that. The shift itself is smooth. But releasing clutch is followed by a "jerk" - almost as if the slack in the chain is pulled in. There is a very slight (but noticeable) latency between the clutch release and the rear wheel gets the power. Could this really be chain slack or something else. Again, shift itself is soft, but transfer of power to the wheel on clutch release is not!

Any info would be a great help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You will get used to the vibrations in a couple weeks.

Check that your clutch cable is adjusted correctly. Should have a little bit of slack at the lever.

;)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
This is your first bike isn't it?

Newbie rider, I'm thinking 1st and formost inexperienced paranoia. As for the numb hands, relax your grip on the bars and support your weight with your stomach and back muscles. Grip the tank with your knees a little too. You should be able to flap your elbows like a chicken while riding and not upset the bike.

As for the jerky clutch, again back to inexperience. As tweakmon said, adjust the clutch freeplay. There should be 2 to 3mm freeplay in the clutch lever when you start to pull it in. This freeplay is measured between the lever itself and the lever holder attached to the handlebar. Practice and experience along with a properly adjusted clutch lever will allow for a smoother transfer of power. Just like when you learn to drive a stick shift, it takes practice to get the clutch and throttle control down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went through the same thing.... I had a honda rebel before moving up to my ZX6R. Everything felt different. I knew about the jerk though... As I had posted somewhere else.... I had always seen sportbikes jerk when kicking into first gear. I thought that was cool! When you shift into second from first, if you are going WAY over 9 miles and hour, you will probably hear a CLUNK and feel a little jerk. That is normal. I try to get out of first by 9mph so I don't hear it. As far as the soreness..... It took me about two weeks and alot of pain to get used to the new riding style. Your abs are going to get a workout!! Im looking thinner now than before. It sure does help the beer belly. Just be careful not to lean on your wrists while you ride. Let your stomach do all the work.

You will be fine. Have fun and be safe. And I quote the "spiderman" movie... "with great power comes great responsibility"

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The vibrations will die down greatly after about 600 - 1,000 miles, but they won't ever go away completely.

There is some "slop" (for want of a better word) in the drivetrain. It feels (to me) as though it's something to do with the cush-drive assembly. I don't think it's anything to do with the gearbox or clutch.

Whatever it is, it's normal for this bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks! I can now "Rest In Peace" (Thanks to the extra effort that Makenna took ;) )

Not exactly a newbie, but a bigger bike for the first time yes. Enough experience to know that this is not because of the clutch lever being released quckly! It'sdefinitely some slack that's pulled in or something else with the tranny, probably the former. Will have the chain checked for tension when I go in for the first service.

·
Registered
377 Posts
When you shift into second from first, if you are going WAY over 9 miles and hour, you will probably hear a CLUNK and feel a little jerk. That is normal. I try to get out of first by 9mph so I don't hear it.
Seriously? You change into second before you hit 9mph? I think if there is a clunk, its because the bike is trying to fall into second with the gears moving too slow. If you find it smoother under 9mph then its probably because they are going so slow that it doesnt matter. It's a race bike, if you want it to feel smooth try changing into second around 50mph, and it will be as smooth as a babies butt. Otherwise just deal with the clunking. I personally think your asking for other more serious problems dropping it into second at 8mph.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by cybereyes

Seriously? You change into second before you hit 9mph? I think if there is a clunk, its because the bike is trying to fall into second with the gears moving too slow. If you find it smoother under 9mph then its probably because they are going so slow that it doesnt matter. It's a race bike, if you want it to feel smooth try changing into second around 50mph, and it will be as smooth as a babies butt. Otherwise just deal with the clunking. I personally think your asking for other more serious problems dropping it into second at 8mph.
I shift at 9 to 11mph NOT before 9. the clunk comes in when you shift into second and your going way to fast. I heard that if you match the RPM with the wheel speed, you wont get a clunk. I only use first to start rolling, after that im all over the place with my gears without a problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well I never hear a clunk except when Im in nuetral and put it into first from a stop, at times that gives me a clunk. I shift to 2nd on a normal basis around 25 to 35mph. The only time you will get a clunk is when you left off the gas and hesitate as your putting it into 2nd. It is suppose to be a quick smooth motion letting off the gas for less than half a second as your changing gears and then right back on it. This goes for all gears though. If you continue to baby it and lazily change gears Im guessing you will eventually have tranny problems. If you want to cruise that slowly on it at least learn to be quicker on your gear changes with very little let off of the throttle. The clunking doesn't come from going too fast in 1st, it comes from a weak/slow and poorly timed gear change.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by chuyjr1

I shift at 9 to 11mph NOT before 9. the clunk comes in when you shift into second and your going way to fast. I heard that if you match the RPM with the wheel speed, you wont get a clunk. I only use first to start rolling, after that im all over the place with my gears without a problem.
If you rev up high in first and hold it there for a while before shifting into second, it will clunk but if you smoothly rev up and shift straight into second without holding it in first it should be smooth. That's my experience at least. Shifting at 10 mph out of first just seems like no fun and kind of inefficient other than getting good gas mileage...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.