Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a picture of LP Flush Mount Vs installed?

I got mine in but I can see around them. The hole for the old lights is too big. It looks like dick.

Putting them on an '01. Thanks.

Yellow '01

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Yeah, here they are on my bike, mounted backwards so they fit...

BUT here's the thing, they really do sorta shine backwards, so if you plan to run 'em backwards, they aren't so bright for vehicles coming towards you (the point of having them!)... I've since unhooked them and returned them to the dealer and ordered SS2 short stalks from Lockhart Phillips and a mounting kit from Huge Industries. You can SEE them from the side and all, but it just seemed kinda goofy to have them shining back towards me primarily. I KNOW I'm turning, it's the people facing me that I want to know I'm turning... ;)

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
431 Posts
Went to put those same ones on my bike this past weekend. Just couldn't get them to fit anyway that I liked. Backwards like DJ said is the best fit. I ended up ordering a different kind from this company.

http://www.breaklites.com/flushmount.htm

They are also available from http://www.graphicartmotodesign.com
They are cheaper here by $5. I found this out after I ordered them. I saw them on a bike on this site and they looked great.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
431 Posts
CdnNinja I got them from searching this site and seeing what you had posted. Thanks. Do you have any tips or hints to mount them. They should be here by the end of the week and I'd like to put them on this weekend. From what I read they mount with 3M tape and look like they fit very flush. Thanks again.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback ppl.

I put the LP Short Stalk III's on the back and trimmed the tail down tonight. Tomorrow I'll try the Flush V's up front. Might as well, I already paid for them.

Yellow '01

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dave Lee, do you not find that they're shining bright the wrong way like that ??? I did...

Replacing mine with SS2's and a mounting kit that adapts to the hole...

... that will let you use pretty much ANY short stalks...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have my LP flushmount V's mounted the same way as Dave Lee too. After installing them I checked them for visibility etc and didn;t find them to be a problem. They were clearly visible. Not as visible as the stock ones, but I didn't think they were unsafe. BUT (and I think this is the trick to the visibility)...I didn't go with clear ones, I went with the amber ones, so the entire housing lights up. With the clears it may be different.

DsturbD...what you need to do is make a backing plate that goes into the groove and fills the hole. Make it just big enough to cover the stock hole. Then drill some holes in it for the wire to go through (and mounting bolt - optional custom install). I've done that with both by 6R's and had V's on em both. Personally I don't trust the tape, but c'est la vie. Some people use em and have no trouble.

I also drilled holes throught the base of the marker (underneath the cover) to insert the mounting bolt through. Easy stuff, just takes some time. You can use whatever you want for the backing plate, I used some very thin plastic (actually from an old 3.5" floppy disk LOL). And they even come in a variety of colors - i used black.

DJ, good choice on the rear's I also have those on mine (in amber).

Here are some pics...(they're probably huge SORRY [8)])

current bike

view fron the front

old bike

Oh, and no comments on the chicken strips on the old bike, it had brand new 010's installed right before that pic was taken and they hadn't been scrubbed in yet LOL - true though :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
ROFL... well looks like you've MORE than made up for it on the new bike in that shot... nice work !

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a red 2003 ZX-6R and ordered the flush mount V's as Kawasaki insists the make the mounting location for the front turn signals indented on the rear half and protruding on the front half. This make most flush mount blinkers really hard to fit without modifing the lowers.

I found out the fact that the bulbs face "backwards" after I received them. It is not too bad though, you can still see the light from the front.

The really lame thing is that the flush mount V's are mounted with some really cheap adhesive tape. No way the lights will stay attached for long. I used the steel backing plate that attached the stock lights and a plastic screw and drilled it into the back of the flush mount V's sandwiching the lower between the light and plate. It worked great and guarantee's a good attachment. The important thing is to use a screw that will not go too far into the flush mount V's.

Keep the Rubber Side Down

·
Registered
38 Posts
:D to dj dunzie, where did you get the mounting kit?????? I use the ss3's (same as in your picture) on the rear and the fm5's on the front. I'm not sure I like the fm5's on the front.

Keep the rubber side down

Originally posted by dj dunzie

Dave Lee, do you not find that they're shining bright the wrong way like that ??? I did...

Replacing mine with SS2's and a mounting kit that adapts to the hole...

... that will let you use pretty much ANY short stalks...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got 'em on last night. Turned out much better than I thought. Looks good. I can't quit staring at it and grinning. *geek*

Thanks for all the input and pics, guys.

Yellow '01

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've found them to work fine mounted "backwards." I've had people check from different angles on the road and they say they're very visible, even from the front. And I personally like them being bright to the sides and rear, as well. Can't hurt.

I used the tape, myself, and they're still solidly mounted after several thousand miles.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm liking them the longer they're on :D

Yellow '01

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status