Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my buddy has an 00 zx6 and its got some sort of problem. It starts and idles fine until it warms up, and then you have to keep giving it throttle to get it to stay running. If not, then it dies out. We've cleaned the carbs, changed plugs, etc and to no avail. So what else could it be. another one of our friends said that the motor was getting ready to let go and it needs rebuilt but that doesnt sound right. So any suggestions on what to try?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What RPM do you have to hold it at to keep it running? Are you giving it throttle to get it up to 1300 rpms (idle speed)? If so, did you try adjusting the idle screw?

I woudn't be so quick to say the motor is ready to let go. Could be a vacum leak or something like that. In theory a motor with low compression doesn't like to run at low speeds... How many miles, or what other info can you give us.

·
Registered
31 Posts
when u cleaned the carbs did u take all of the jets out of the carbs and clean them? did u put the right jets back in the right carbs they are different also where do u have the mixture screws set, and were they ever drilled out? it sounds like the carbs are still dirty and that they need a good cleaning. and to be re synced

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well like i said, its my buddys bike, and ive just been helping work on it in my garage....anyway...carbs went back together just how they came apart....to our knowledge they havent been drilled out....the bike has approx. 9200 miles on it also

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sounds similar to the problem I had a few weeks back. For me it turned out to be bad gas. Hope its simple man; but 9200 miles is not much so I don't agree either with the idea of the engine going out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.