Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is probably stupid but it is in inch pounds (25 to 250 in. lb.) in one inch increments

Do 12 inch pounds equal 1 foot pound ?
If so, the max torque I can get would be a little more than 20 ft. lbs. Should I go to Sears and trade it for another model for general bike and auto work ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, 12 inch pounds equals 1 foot pound.

As far as trading it in... You could get a larger model torque wrench but then it may not go low enough. i.e.; it may be 20 to 150 ft.lbs. and then you'd be lacking 2 to 20 ft. lbs (25 to 250 in. lbs.) You might want
to have both... or see what size you'd use more or which are the more important torque specs. and thus which is more pertinent to own.
I've got access to both. (It's great to have a tool crazed Dad.) :D

Also, don't forget to back the "torque" off the wrench when you're done using it for that torque. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
BSHAP is right "back the "torque" off the wrench when you're done using it".

Here's a couple of other tips:

1. Only use it to tighten bolts.
2. Never use it to loosen bolts.
3. Don't continue tightening bolts after it clicks.
(Over torqueing will reduce the accuracy of the torque wrench.)

I have 3 torque wrenches. They all have their uses.

3/8" drive inch-pound wrench (approx 20-200 inch-pounds)
3/8" drive ft-lb wrench (approx 5-75 ft-lbs)
1/2" drive ft-lb wrench (approx 25-150 ft-lbs)

If you're anal about following the service manual specs, you will need all 3. If you want the bigges bang for the buck, get the 1/2" drive 25-150 ft-lb model. That one will cover most of the critical bols on your bike.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd just like to add to what mjahelka said...
If you currently have the 3/8" drive inch-pound wrench (yours being 20 - 250 inch-pounds) which roughly translates to 1.5 - 20 ft.lbs. You'd only need one more to cover all the basis as Craftsman makes a 1/2" drive ft-lb wrench that's 20 - 150 ft.lbs.

[8D]

Also, great tips mjahelka!

·
Registered
653 Posts
whats the around price for all 3 wrenches please.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought mine as needed (all Craftsman) and don't recall exactly what they each cost. Plan to pay about $50-60 per wrench as Sears.

Shop around the internet and you might be able to find competing brands cheaper. Harbor Freight is usually a good place to buy tools.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.