Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, I have an 07 250 with 1600 miles on it and today about 20 miles after adding some gas it started to idle at 2k and when i adjusted it down to around 1300 the oil light came on, Im 100% sure i added 87 and its the same place i always fill up at. I changed my oil and filter 800 miles ago and used kawasaki oil and filter. The bike idles higher and when taking off from a dead stop it pings and bogs and i have to rev it to around 5k to take off without it pretty much bogging down and turning off, but it runs fine after about 7 k. Im wondering if i should change the oil or go have the valves adjusted again . Before you flame i searched and didnt find much of any help, thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
alright, I have an 07 250 with 1600 miles on it and today about 20 miles after adding some gas it started to idle at 2k and when i adjusted it down to around 1300 the oil light came on, Im 100% sure i added 87 and its the same place i always fill up at. I changed my oil and filter 800 miles ago and used kawasaki oil and filter. The bike idles higher and when taking off from a dead stop it pings and bogs and i have to rev it to around 5k to take off without it pretty much bogging down and turning off, but it runs fine after about 7 k. Im wondering if i should change the oil or go have the valves adjusted again . Before you flame i searched and didnt find much of any help, thanks in advance for any help.
Has there been a lot of rain lately? You might have gotten some bad gas even if it is where you always go.

Check your oil level and check for leaks. Have you ever done your valves before? Could you have not done it correctly?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
edit: I lied, it started doing it again after about a 5 mile ride this time with lots of white smoke on top of the rest. Im thinking water somehow got into the tank a few days ago when my girlfriend was washing her car somewhat near my bike and since water is heavier than gas and i was fairly low earlier so i put it on the reserve i believe the water got into the engine. should i just drain the tank add new gas and a bit more seafoam or drain the carb bowls to?

oh btw kkim 1300 doesnt sound much different from normal idle but the engine oil light comes on when i adjust it there so i keep it at 2k because without it there it will easily bog down and die at take off. After the ride when it did it again i let it cool down and i drove it back home fine until it started warming up then it happened again.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
it sounds like real piss-poor performance from such a new engine.
tbh and imo, I'd take it back to the dealer and get them to figure out why it bogs down, cos it really shouldn't. And if the oil light comes on, there really is an issue, and it's rarely fuel related, because the light comes on with a lack of oil pressure (not level).
I'd have a talk back at the shop

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
didn't buy it from a dealer and it has no warranty so im trying to figure it out myself before dropping a shitload at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
white smoke is usually an indication of coolant or oil in the cylinders.

is the radiator full? is it possible it overheated and blew the head gasket?

might be a good idea to pull the plugs and see waht they look like.

i have also seen diesel fuel do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
just cos you didn't buy it from the dealer, the manufacturers warranty is still on the bike, obviously depending on when in 07 it was bought. I think they get 2 years at least tho.. so doesn't matter if it's sold 10 times, warranty still applies

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh i thought it was 12 months, and its been 14 or 15 since this one was bought. I'm going to drain the tank and bowls add fresh gas, change the oil and plugs(depending on how they look) maybe coolant if its low and if nothing changes ill probably go check and see if it has warranty and if not i guess ill get the valves adjusted and hopefully that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if coolant is low, and you've got white smoke coming out the tailpipe, thats a good indication you blew a head gasket. First and foremost, check the oil, measure how much comes out, and the color, if its milky white you also have blown your head gasket. if the oil level is fine, i'd then check coolant, if the coolant is still full, then its the gas.

·
Registered
594 Posts
same problem

yeah my bike started bogging down the other day. then i havent had time to tear into it and fix the problem, i used theSEARCH an found what was most likely the prob. but i dont have white smoke. i jetted and piped my bike over a month ago and never had a problem until the other day. yes i have had rain so i am thinking that water got into the tank. I am hoping for bad gas.. for the easy fix... thanks Brock

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It had leaked coolant and blew the head gasket which then lead to hydro locking the engine after i filled the radiator back up and ran it. I got used motor and the bike is back running now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.