Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There was a traffic jam. Cars were going and stopping, going and stopping, sometimes 5-10 mph.

So I was lane splitting about 20-30mph. The gaps were big enough for me to lane split. Cars were going 0-5mph. I saw a car ahead of me turned his right turn signal on and started to cut, so I slowed down. The car went back into his lane, so I thought he wanted me to pass him, so I sped up, as I sped up he decided to cut again (thinking he could make it before I get too close). So I used my brakes and crashed into his right rear bumper. Good thing I'm alright, but the bike fell, and the bike isn't too damaged.

We stopped on the freeway and he got out of the car and heres the convo.

Him: Are you OK?
Me: Yea
Him: Lane splitting is illegal
Me: No it's not.

After that we decided to get off the freeway because there were a lot of cars, and we were close to the exit.

Him: I'm a rider myself, I have three bikes.
Me: If you're a rider yourself, then you should know that lane splitting isn't illegal.

The conversation was longer but I don't remember much information

Then we were about to exchange informations but later we were talking if we wanted to go through insurance or not, but we both didn't want to go through all that since his rear bumper was just scratched and my front fairings wasn't that messed up (front upper cowl? i think that is what it's called)

Who do you guys think is at fault because I thought it was my fault and his fault at the same time. Lane splitting isn't illegal but it isn't really legal at the same time.

He has pictures of the damages as well as my license plate number. I have his license plate number and damages too. But we both don't have driver license information. I was wondering if he could lie and said I did a hit and run or something? I'm not planning to do anything about it because we both agreed to forget about the damages.

This is in California

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
theres only 1 state where that shit is legal, so i'll assume this is in cali.

as always. i say FUCK lane splitting.
for this very reason.

be happy you're still alive.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah lane splitting is either LEGAL, or ILLEGAL ... There is no in-between

And I believe ****** is right, Cali being the only state that it is legal in .. so, if you are in a state that it is illegal - you would be completely at fault, and ticketed if the police were involved.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Lane splitting here is not illegal, but it's not explicitly legal either. It's just something that has become culturally accepted. Though based on the reaction of the person you hit, either he's not up to speed on local laws or he's full of shit. Nonetheless, I think the adjuster would put you largely at fault since you're the GIB in this situation.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
you hit him from behind...pretty hard to argue your way out of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to say but you hit him from behind, and you were illegally lane splitting unless in Cali as mentioned above. You're pretty much at fault. 20-30 lane splitting is pretty quick man.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The way we work is that lane splitting isn't illegal. That isn't quite the same as being legal. You're OK if you don't crash. The responsibility lies with you.

You were going too fast - if the cars are doing 0 - 5 then about 15 - 20 is as fast as you should be going. Speeding up is a mistake. If anything makes you think that a car is going to pull out, assume that it will. Never assume that he's changed his mind.

I think you're going to have to take the blame on this one. Cali rules say that you must be going at no more than 10 mph faster than the traffic, by the way.

Just a minor point on semantics. As the traffic was near stationary we'd call that filtering rather than lane splitting. At what speed filtering becomes lane spiltting is open to argument.

Rob

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
The way we work is that lane splitting isn't illegal. That isn't quite the same as being legal. You're OK if you don't crash. The responsibility lies with you.

You were going too fast - if the cars are doing 0 - 5 then about 15 - 20 is as fast as you should be going. Speeding up is a mistake. If anything makes you think that a car is going to pull out, assume that it will. Never assume that he's changed his mind.

I think you're going to have to take the blame on this one. Cali rules say that you must be going at no more than 10 mph faster than the traffic, by the way.

Just a minor point on semantics. As the traffic was near stationary we'd call that filtering rather than lane splitting. At what speed filtering becomes lane spiltting is open to argument.

Rob
+1 ^
Lane splitting is legal in California. Look for lane sharing on the CA DMV website. You'll find while legal you are always at fault in an accident. You got double whammied because you also rear ended him, also always your fault.

One reason I ride is so that I don't have to get stuck in traffic. I lane split knowing the above fact and that I'm putting myself in a more compromising position. It's a choice I make and accept any responsibility for my actions.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
First of all, glad you are okay OP. That could've ended up fairly nasty.

I thought I red somewhere that you can lane split but as long as you are not going 10mph faster than traffic. I lane split but my speed directly relies on how fast traffic is moving. If they go slower..I slow down also.

·
Registered
329 Posts
LaneShare.org

Not an officially sanctioned site, but it has good details on local lane sharing laws and customs. For example, the site mentions that AZ got a lane-sharing law a long way through the system, only to be shot down by the governor. Though not written in CA law, it's generally acceptable to lane share on a freeway when traffic is going below 30mph, and not travel over 10mph from pace.

I see riders do much worse than acceptable standards. Once I saw an MP3 (those weird tri-cycle thingies) weave between the bot-spots at 20mph over-pace and touch wheels with another car during one of those weaves.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
There was a traffic jam. Cars were going and stopping, going and stopping, sometimes 5-10 mph.

So I was lane splitting about 20-30mph. The gaps were big enough for me to lane split. Cars were going 0-5mph. I saw a car ahead of me turned his right turn signal on and started to cut, so I slowed down. The car went back into his lane, so I thought he wanted me to pass him, so I sped up, as I sped up he decided to cut again (thinking he could make it before I get too close). So I used my brakes and crashed into his right rear bumper. Good thing I'm alright, but the bike fell, and the bike isn't too damaged.
See what I bolded. That was your mistake.

As everyone has said, from an insurance standpoint, you're wrong. You hit him from behind.

More importantly, be glad you weren't hurt worse. Lane splitting is dangerous, legal or not.
I won't say that I haven't lane splitted but it is a whole different ballgame. It requires a hell of a lot more luck and you really are at the mercy of the cars.
I have a long list of rules in my head that I follow when I lane split, where I can lane split, when I can't. Like, I don't lane split when I'm near an exit or entry ramp, especially after an entry ramp which is particularly brutal to traffic because everyone moves over to the left.

I could go on for days on all the little things you need to be aware of and anticipate. Even with all those rules, you're still very much at the mercy of cars.

Here's one thing. I avoid passing cars when there is an empty spot next to them. Cars seem to like switching lanes as soon as there is an empty spot next to them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ignorant and wrong

theres only 1 state where that shit is legal, so i'll assume this is in cali.

as always. i say FUCK lane splitting.
for this very reason.

be happy you're still alive.
WhiteHendrix is both ignorant and wrong about lane splitting/Lane Sharing. Clearly he comes from a state which does not allow it so he feels he needs to trash other states that have no law against it.

To date, about half of the states have no law against lane splitting/Lane Sharing. A great iPhone app to indicate this is 'bike laws'. Lanesharing.org is simply inaccurate or outdated on many levels.

To the original poster, If you're going 25-30 when traffic is going 0-5, you were going WAY WAY too fast. Just as you found out the hard way, you simply don't have time to react when someone pulls out in front of you. Even between an HOV/Carpool lane and regular lane.

Consider a Stebel Airhorn to alert cars that seem intent on not looking. It's worked very well for me.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137

I simply won't go over 10 miles an hour over the rest of traffic when lane splitting. Often times, if it's too hairy, I'll just wait it out a bit.

Fault is unique for every circumstance, but it is difficult to justify how you were not at fault if you strike a vehicle when splitting lanes. All of the risk is yours so all the risk-management is yours to negotiate as well. It can and regularly does successfully happen over hundreds of thousands of miles each day. You have to drop your ego and trust, in other drivers, immediately out the door. (You should be doing that anyway.)

WhiteHendrix, please stop posting so much, get your license and insurance when you turn 18 and start riding. You post way too much to actually be riding anything more than the 'Ninja' below.

BTW, nobody actually from CA calls it Cali. Just wankers and twats (British meaning of twat, rhymes with bat) from the east coast who try to sound cool when bragging about bangin' Snookie.

Best,

Jimmy

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Just because it isn't explicitly illegal doesn't make it legal, by definition. Your state, whatever you choose to call it, is the only one where this practice has become commonplace. Which by the way, it isn't legal to do so, just not illegal.

Reactions: strat1701

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
WhiteHendrix is both ignorant and wrong about lane splitting/Lane Sharing. Clearly he comes from a state which does not allow it so he feels he needs to trash other states that have no law against it.

To date, about half of the states have no law against lane splitting/Lane Sharing. A great iPhone app to indicate this is 'bike laws'.

To the original poster, If you're going 25-30 when traffic is going 0-5, you were going WAY WAY too fast. Just as you found out the hard way, you simply don't have time to react when someone pulls out in front of you. Even between an HOV/Carpool lane and regular lane.

Consider a Stebel Airhorn to alert cars that seem intent on not looking. It's worked very well for me.
TwistedThrottle.com : Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn, 139 dB, Black or Chrome - Stebel

I simply won't go over 10 miles an hour over the rest of traffic when lane splitting. Often times, if it's too hairy, I'll just wait it out a bit.

Fault is unique for every circumstance, but it is difficult to justify how you were not at fault if you strike a vehicle when splitting lanes. All of the risk is yours so all the risk-management is yours to negotiate as well. It can and regularly does successfully happen over hundreds of thousands of miles each day. You have to drop your ego and trust in other drivers immediately our the door. (You should be doing that anyway.)

WhiteHendrix, please stop posting so much, get your license and insurance when you turn 18 and start riding. You post way too much to actually be riding anything more than the 'Ninja' below.

BTW, nobody actually from CA calls it Cali. Just wankers and twats (British meaning of twat, rhymes with bat) from the east coast who try to sound cool when bragging about bangin' Snookie.

Best,

Jimmy
You really like this saying don't you? Or permutations on it-

Lastly, Nobody actually from California calls it cali. Only wankers and east coasters here visiting because it's too cold back home call it that. Just like nobody from San Francisco calls it 'frisco'. Nobody from Orange County calls it 'The OC'. I'm from SoCal or CA... definitely NOT from 'cali'.

Jimmy
what's with the hating on ******? That was uncalled for.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts

To date, about half of the states have no law against lane splitting/Lane Sharing. A great iPhone app to indicate this is 'bike laws'. Lanesharing.org is simply inaccurate or outdated on many levels.

TwistedThrottle.com : Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn, 139 dB, Black or Chrome - Stebel

Fault is unique for every circumstance, but it is difficult to justify how you were not at fault if you strike a vehicle when splitting lanes. All of the risk is yours so all the risk-management is yours to negotiate as well. It can and regularly does successfully happen over hundreds of thousands of miles each day. You have to drop your ego and trust, in other drivers, immediately out the door. (You should be doing that anyway.)

Best,

Jimmy
:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 169 Posts