Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe you can pick up a ackropovic of ebay or on sale somewhere? what year bike.....i have a D&D for my 01 and i love it, but maybe you want the performance and not the soumd.

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also have an 01. I'd really like to get some performance, i already have a jet kit i need to install, so I want something that will complement that. I would like it to sound deep, and really good, but nothing extremely loud, which i hear D&D is the king of. I've really been thinking about micron if i can find a good price. What do you guys think about their quality and sound?

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
57 Posts
if you already have a jet kit and you want increased performance then i definitely wouldn't go with a slip-on. I'm not sure if it was a money thing for you or what, but i would go for a full system. something like akra, yosh, micron, or leo-vinci if you don't want to be too loud. I would look around on ebay to get a good deal if you only have 330, or wait and save up the money. a slip-on really isn't going to affect performance.

You keep campaining for that ass-whooping you might get elected

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really only want a slip-on for now. I'm mostly concerned about sound and quality. I've narrowed it down to either Micron, Scorpion, Or Yosh. Which do you guys think and why?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know what you mean my friend has the same one,and the ends are kinda sloppy too.He actually has a exhaust leak in the spot that your refering to it's tacked on with rivets. But i have to say it does have an awesome tone nice and deep,he sealed his up a little better and now the leak is gone and sounds great. Im thinking of either the yosh rs-3 or an art can for my bike.good luck

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've never been a huge fan of Yosh, i guess the only reason is that they are used on so many factory suzuki teams I never thought about putting them on Kawi's. I really like the scorpion and Micron, and they are both very similar in price. If Yosh is more superior than these other two i would definitely get it. Also, I'm not looking for a screamer, just a good sound. What do you think??

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Scorpion on my 02 ZX6R and I love it. It has a deep sound and it is not too loud. I got it from www.parts411.com for $263.00 and that included shipping. It also came with a Dyno Sheet from Scorpion to show you the performance it has.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I take it yours is a polished aluminum slip-on? Is the scorpion logo on the can a sticker or is it riveted on?? What is the quality level you would say?

·
Registered
501 Posts
AKRAPOVIC!!!!!!!!!!!

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would love to get akropovic, but, its just too damn expensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Scorpion I have is stainless steel bolt on and the Scorpion label is a sticker. The quality of it is excellent and it looks real nice. I did have to use some silicone to get an airtight seal since it is a bolt on but it works great.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got my V&H S4 Titanium slip on today. I took it out of the box and was immediately dissapointed. It wasn't scratched up or anything but just looked like incredibly poor craftsmanship. There are gaps at both end of the canister where it meets the tip and also the flange. I paid $330 for this thing. I can't decide whether or not to keep it. What should I do guys. And If i send it back, which I think i'm going to, I'm done with V&H, so What brand is KNOWN FOR THEIR EXTREME QUALITY?? HOW IS MICRON. What other slip-on can I get for my 330 that is giong to sound good and be of MUCH MUCH better quality??? Help me out guys.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ackro, Muzzy, Yosh, Leo Vince, Jardine, and D&D. All of these are supposed to be good. My suggestion is, if you can't find one of good quality, put the stocker back on and save for a little longer. For 330, you are limiting yourself on a lot of brands, that might just be about a hundred bucks over your budget. You are going to have to pay for quality, but you don't want to pay and be disappointed. Do some more research, and if there is an 800 number on the website, call them and ask for info on the system you are inquiring about through the mail. Such as performance gains, and see if they can email you soundbites. just my 02. cents

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
298 Posts
The only thing i'm pretty much looking to get from this slip-on is sound. I know that to get a real difference i may have to get a full system, but i really don't need that. I really like the scorpions but i'm weary of them, I don't want the sticker to fall off and look shitty. If i knew it would stay on for a long time I would buy one in a second. Micron is a great brand also, but more expensive than scorpion. Is it worth the extra cash? Also, I really like the carbon fiber look of both of these brands, however it is more expensive than aluminum, which doesn't look bad either. I don't know, what to choose. I'd really like to stay under $350 if possible. Is micron far superior to scorpion in any way??? I noticed that shadee listed a few brands that are of good quality, neither scorpion nor micron were listed, does this mean that they are not of as high quality is Yosh? I would gladly take Akro(which i want more than anything) if I could get a really good deal on a slip-on, which happens to be much more than i'm looking to spend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GET ONE OF THESE

VERY NICE SOUND,GOT A DEEP RUMBLE,NOT TOO LOUD,GET IT OVER 6000rpm AND DROP THE THROTTLE AND IT POPS LIKE A BEAUTY:D

"160 mph officer, i have only been out 5 minutes".

·
Registered
298 Posts
I ordered a carbon scorpion slip-on a couple of hours ago. There are supposed to be pretty kick ass. And they said it should be here by tuesday at the very latest. Starcycle will match or beat any competitors price on exhaust. I'll let you all know how it sounds when i get it on. Thanks for the input on all the other brands fellas.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Oh PUH-LEASE !!!

MUZZY AND KAWASAKI GO TOGETHER LIKE EX-SPOUSES...

Seriously, though, I'm tired of this argument. Muzzy and Kawasaki Racing were tied at the hips through the early 90's. Muzzy isn't found on ANY major Kawasaki racing team anymore EXCEPT the factory Muzzy drag team.

Akrapovic is Kawasaki racing today. Take a look. MotoGP, AMA Superbike, AMA Supersport, AMA Superstock, WSS, WSBK... I guess it's like the old Shelby Ford / Chrysler argument. I'm not commenting on Muzzy performance or quality... but they are as much joined with Kawasaki these days as is D&D... that is to say, they aren't.

And sorry guys, but I've seen almost every major exhaust on the market, and you in no WAY can compare D&D or Hindle quality to Akrapovic. Nothing against Hindle and D&D... I've owned both and liked both. But they PALE in comparison to Akrapovic build quality. However, spd's right, you pay more for Akrapovic... no question...

To give my true opinions, if you have a choice between Micron, Yosh, and Scorpion, I'd likely be tempted to go with Micron... although I have absolutely nothing against Yosh. Several riding buddies of mine run Yosh's... and they're all very nice in terms of finish and sound quality. And Scorpions that I've seen don't look too bad either... I'd take any of the 3 you mentioned over V&H...

Spddmn, sorry to hear you weren't impressed with the V&H and your purchase, I felt the same way looking at them recently. To ANYBODY buying a new exhaust, there's SO many good brands out there, why not have a look at one and make sure you're making the right decision... compare several up close and form opinions, because there's a huge difference between the lower end ones and the cream of the crop...

Good luck spddmn with the Scorpion... hope it impresses ya !!!

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks DJ, I strongly agree with you. Before spending your hard earned, really do some research on many different pipes and brands before you buy one. Also, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!! spend a little extra and you get extra. I figured that when I bought the V&H, for 300 plus bucks It was going to be pretty damn good quality, but it wasn't at all. I don't understand how V&H can make exhaust like that and sell any. I like the carbon look of the SCORPION much better than the titanium of the V&H, so I'm kinda glad I didn't decide to keep the V&H. My bike just looks so good I couldn't put that shitty looking pipe on it. I should get my scor. in a couple days, i'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.