Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short; short righthander, went in too hot, drifted towards centerline, noticed 18 wheeler coming at me, leaned a little more and there it was, my right foot scraped the asphalt.
I had only about 1/8" of my foot off the side of the peg. Wish I had it on video to see the lean angle. I can't believe I scraped my boot on the ground b/4 I even got my knee down.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I know a guy who got really excited one day when he scraped his boot... Of course after riding behind him we noticed he rode with the heels of his boots on the pegs (instead of the balls of his feet) and thus the rest of the foot was much lower to the ground... easily scraped. [8D]
But that's not how you ride is it melloyellow?? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I used to ride with my heels on the pegs, and ground my boots toes down a couple times..
Now I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, haven't got my foot on the ground now, just the knee..

having your heel on the peg and your toes pointing down can be dangerous, if your boots catch on the pavement you could snap your ankle (as your foot tries to go under the peg) and take a spill...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Easy there BSHAP. You might find that dudes foot up your ass... We're all newbies at one point.

Since then, that excited guy's had his knee down on the 7th St, Ontario St, and QEW - 406 ramps.

I've actually managed to get my toes to drag with my knee on the 7th St ramp. I think we were doing about 120kph.

:D

We need to get you a set of leathers...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hmmm, it's funny you ASSUMED it was you Mikey... Have you done that? ...Cause I didn't realize that your name was Zar. ;)

You know what happens when you assume... [:p]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have hit the sides of by boots a couple time when I had a passanger on the back but never alone. I guess because my bike was more compressed and had more counterweight on the bike. and the fact I wear 13 wide maybe.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
My feet touched first as well, then I moved them back a bit. Now the peg feelers touch, my boots never touch. Oh, and mine is a pre 2003 model so it does not have the ground clearance newer zx6r's have. I know of only one guy (out of 7 or eight track riding 6R riders) who drags pegs on the 2003. He's not the fastest though.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ride w/ the balls of my feet on the pegs on inside of curves and w/ just the tips of my toes on the other. Guess I just didn't have my foot far enough over on the pegs. I will be more prepared from now on though.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
On the other hand, the fastest zx6r street rider I know has huge feet (compared to mine ;)) an prefers to use his feet in addition to his knees.

Maybe I just have small feet, I'm not that tall either :D.

I once tried to shift a little too late in a 200km/h chicane and had maybe an inch ground off on the rubber soled shoes I wore then. Don't want to do that again.

You gotta love that first scare you get when parts touch that haven't done so before, or really the great feeling that comes after the scare [:p], provided those parts are not your helmet or your handebars [B)]

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
haha [:M83]

well, I have small feet compared to a 190cm (6ft2 i think?) dude at least. I'm 172cm or 5ft8.

Anyway, f%&¤ you [:M111] [:M55]

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is the really cool couple of turns that are close together, and I always back away from the cage infront of me so I can take them fast. Anyway the other day I have been riding for a while so my tyres were fairly warm and on exiting the second corner I flicked it so hard that the rear wheel washed out and I did a little powerslide, I was stoked :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by RedFinn
My feet touched first as well, then I moved them back a bit. Now the peg feelers touch, my boots never touch. Oh, and mine is a pre 2003 model so it does not have the ground clearance newer zx6r's have. I know of only one guy (out of 7 or eight track riding 6R riders) who drags pegs on the 2003. He's not the fastest though.
I've never touched anything down on my -03. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that I'm fast [8D]. What I do know that a line round a corner requiring maximum lean angles (and longest time spent in maximum lean) is not necessarily the fastest one. It's also difficult/suicidal to get early and hard on the gas if bike is on it's ear...

The lean angles are a bit too extreme to my taste if I would start dragging pegs with an -03. Or the sag settings would need some work :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
im a little nervous about leaning too much on streets[8)]

one of these days i need to hit the track and unleash the beast in my bike[}:)]

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think a better indication of lean angle is your chicken strips. I check mine out when I've been for a hard ride.

Hell i might get me a pair of those clown shoes I could grind my toes on the straights[:p]

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by Geargrinder
I think a better indication of lean angle is your chicken strips. I check mine out when I've been for a hard ride.
Then you have the people who just sand down their chicken strips so others will think that they actually know how to ride. I think one of the kids that I ride with would do something like that. You know, the one who wants to buy blue tires to match his Gixxer.[}:)]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What's wrong w/ blue tires?
Also, I think the chicken strip test is bs. You don't always have to use all of your tire. You can always lean farther off of the bike therefore decreasing your lean angle while keeping the same speed around a curve. But, that has all been covered here before.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.