Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding off and on for about 8 years. My first bike was a Katana 600, had a triumph tt600 for a while, but now I'm married have bills etc. So one day my wife says "I want to learn to ride." I haven't had a bike for the last couple years but I have enough put away to afford a 2011 Ninja 250R (picking it up Saturday), so here I am! It's still technically her bike, but I figure I can enjoy it till I can afford something else for me.

Any of you out there have experience with downgrading from a 600 to a 250? Is it painful or does the flickable fun pretty much make up for it?

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts

· Registered
5,288 Posts
I think it's much more fun to ride a slow(ish) bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow - and if you're riding street you can't ride a fast bike fast and expect to keep your licence and avoid wrecks.

As long as you don't intend to do a lot of long highway rides you'll probably love the 250.

Rob

· Registered
749 Posts
So I've been riding off and on for about 8 years. My first bike was a Katana 600, had a triumph tt600 for a while, but now I'm married have bills etc. So one day my wife says "I want to learn to ride." I haven't had a bike for the last couple years but I have enough put away to afford a 2011 Ninja 250R (picking it up Saturday), so here I am! It's still technically her bike, but I figure I can enjoy it till I can afford something else for me.

Any of you out there have experience with downgrading from a 600 to a 250? Is it painful or does the flickable fun pretty much make up for it?
OMG How can you do someting so awesome and buy your wife her very first own new bike, and then tell people that you're planning to take it away for your own fun..before she even has it! You're going to be in so much trouble!!!
That said, depending on the type of riding you have in mind (city, track..), and on the area you live in (flat or mountains) the 250 will reach it's limits quickly, if you're used to something with more torque. I live in the mountains, and the shifting is exhausting, even with my 500r, when I'm riding in a group of much stronger bikes. If you 'use' your wife's bike for a while, and then 'hand it down' to get yourself a bigger bike, you might as well go ahead and buy another bike right now. You and your wife will be much happier, riding each your own.. Take that from experience...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG How can you do someting so awesome and buy your wife her very first own new bike, and then tell people that you're planning to take it away for your own fun..before she even has it! You're going to be in so much trouble!!!
That said, depending on the type of riding you have in mind (city, track..), and on the area you live in (flat or mountains) the 250 will reach it's limits quickly, if you're used to something with more torque. I live in the mountains, and the shifting is exhausting, even with my 500r, when I'm riding in a group of much stronger bikes. If you 'use' your wife's bike for a while, and then 'hand it down' to get yourself a bigger bike, you might as well go ahead and buy another bike right now. You and your wife will be much happier, riding each your own.. Take that from experience...
I agree with most of that (especially being in trouble, but that's a permanent state of matrimony for me) and when the budget allows, I'll pick up another bike for me. In the mean time, I can only have one and I want it to be one she can safely learn on (she's tiny, 5'3" 110lbs). Gotta get her riding before we can ride together :)

· Registered
749 Posts
I agree with most of that (especially being in trouble, but that's a permanent state of matrimony for me) and when the budget allows, I'll pick up another bike for me. In the mean time, I can only have one and I want it to be one she can safely learn on (she's tiny, 5'3" 110lbs). Gotta get her riding before we can ride together :)
lol At least you're man enough to admit being in trouble for it! I'm 5'5"/120lbs, and I think size-wise, the 250r (or in my case the 500r) are the best choices. The seats don't come any lower (sadly). A few weeks ago, a couple bought matching his&hers special edition 250r at the dealership here in town... I just hope I never see them on the road with matching race suits, too... That'll be my very first crash right there!
Good luck for you and your wife! Have fun and rubber side down!

Hey, there's an idea: Take a MSF class together! They provide the bikes for both of you, and you can enjoy a weekend on the bike together AND work on your skills... :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh, way ahead of you. MSF courses are only good for an insurance discount for 3 years here in TN so I have a good excuse to afford taking it with her. I tried to convince her it was ok to buy the black one and the pearl white one from the dealer I found, but she said we can't have 2 bikes till she knows for sure she's really going to ride. (She's excited and nervous at the same time).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.