Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in heavy traffic down a main street in chicago and was pulled over for not having the city sticker tag on my bike. The officer thought I didn't have a Class M license to ride the motorcycle. I showed it to him and he wrote me 2 tickets, For "taking a car on the right" He was visibly angry. So what happend was.... Just before he pulled me over..... I was riding in this stop and crawl traffic (one lane each way with cars parked on the right side), the car behind me was just getting too close for my comfort. I scooted over to the right closer to the parked cars just in case this guy just doesnt brake in time. The fucker drives up next to me putting me between him and the parked cars. The Squad car was right behind him. So right after that happened he pulled me over and asked for the license and why I didnt have a city sticker tag on the bike.

So he lets go the car that has the idiot talkin on his cell phone and that went around me.

On the ticket, he put down that we were NORTHBOUND on california... we were actually SOUTHBOUND. Does that make the ticket invalid since the information is incorrect? The address that is on the citation is actually on the west side of the street which puts us in the southbound lanes. Could bringing this up in court get the case dismissed? it does say on the bottom where he signs "the undersigned certifies that the statements set forth in this insturment are true and correct."

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I doubt that will get the ticket dismissed, sounds like a bunghole of bungholes... good luck, if it was like my ticket you'll probably get assraped in the courtroom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Tell the judge you were looking out for your well being...and the cop did not consider that when he pulled you over/wrote the ticket.

That freakin' sucks...is it legal to drive while on the cell phone in Chicago?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the law:

(625 ILCS 5/11?704) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11?704)
Sec. 11?704. When overtaking on the right is permitted. (a) The driver of a vehicle with 3 or more wheels may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
1. When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
2. Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
3. Upon a one?way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles.
(b) The driver of a 2 wheeled vehicle may not pass upon the right of any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the unobstructed pavement to the right of the vehicle being passed is of a width of not less than 8 feet.
(c) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
(Source: P.A. 84?873.)

It is illegal to to be on your cell in chicago. He didnt care.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
If you try to get a ticket dismissed based on something like that, 99% of the time you're just going to piss the judge off and they're going to excuse the technicality on behalf of the officer and still slap you with something.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I would certainly tell the judge that you thought the car behind you was following too closely. See how that flies...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I would point out all that. Tailgating on a cell phone is very dangerous. Why the hell would you pass on the right though in between cars for that matter? If somebody would've opened a door you would've been screwed. Based on the law you posted it sounds like you're on the hook regardless unless there was more than 8' between the ass on the cell and the parked cars to the right. Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
My brothers friend went to court and they put jr. on his ticket and he isnt a jr. They kicked it out becuaes of the wrong name even though it was clearly still him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by chuyjr1

On the ticket, he put down that we were NORTHBOUND on california... we were actually SOUTHBOUND. Does that make the ticket invalid since the information is incorrect? The address that is on the citation is actually on the west side of the street which puts us in the southbound lanes. Could bringing this up in court get the case dismissed? it does say on the bottom where he signs "the undersigned certifies that the statements set forth in this insturment are true and correct."

Thanks in advance.
Maybe you shouldnt have signed it if it was wrong.;)If you try and use that to get it dropped, it will only piss off the judge or cop and hurt you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
"Your honor,with all due respect,The officer missed something.One block earlier the car behind was folowing so close,talkin on cell probably,that he nudged my back tyre......Scared the bejeesus out of me.What officer saw was me trying to get out of the numbskulls way.I know you're not supposed to pass on right,but was kinda forced into it."

And then I'd go into some BS about cellphone use in general and how I'm tryin to save gas ridin bike,maybe mom's kidney transplant,nice weather,ask for a break.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
206 Posts
Perhaps go to the precinct and speak with his superiors. With motorcycles, personal safety has to override laws. If we didn't break laws on our motorcycles to stay out of harms way, most of us would be crippled or dead.

Either way, make sure you go to court. You can say something along the lines of, "I don't know if the officer was drunk or just not paying attention, but he couldn't even tell which direction he was traveling." It won't get anything thrown out, but it always helps to discredit witnesses. Although, if the courts there are anything like their counterparts in PA, the cop and judge will be on first name basis and apparently circle jerk together, so you have no chance.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by BWS
"Your honor,with all due respect,The officer missed something.One block earlier the car behind was folowing so close,talkin on cell probably,that he nudged my back tyre......Scared the bejeesus out of me.What officer saw was me trying to get out of the numbskulls way.I know you're not supposed to pass on right,but was kinda forced into it."

And then I'd go into some BS about cellphone use in general and how I'm tryin to save gas ridin bike,maybe mom's kidney transplant,nice weather,ask for a break.Best of luck,BW

[:++1]

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
LOL.....trying to save gas money cause mom needs a kidney transplant. See how that one works :D

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Well, I am getting ready to post for some advice for my own ticket .... see my thread and see if any information there helps ...

Surfin

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yea, tell'm that fucker bumped ur back tire and scared u. so u was getting out of his way. if the cop says its bs cause he didn't dee it, just say well with all due respect mr occifer, you didn't know wich way u were traveling either. tell'm u wasnt trying to pass, just get out of that fools way cause he bumped ur tire. and wtf didn't u have ur sticker?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Doesn't sound like he passed anyone on the right. It sounds like he scooted right and the guy behind him passed him. Dunno about your state, but here the guy in the car should be the one getting ticketed for lane sharing. [V]

·
Registered
759 Posts
I know this is a really crazy idea but, how about just telling the truth? Be humble, honest, and polite and ask for some mercy from the judge. If you have a clean driving record, that's worth a lot too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.