·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone converted our bikes to the gp style shift pattern, being 1 up 6 down

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes, it's been done. I think there are a couple of threads about it, but I think you'd have to cut/modify part of the cover I believe.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Seen a photo on the rearsets I ordered - there they had to grind a bit of the sprocket cover to give clearance. I think that has to be done with stock rear sets too but not 100% positive on that.

Other than that it's easy, just flip that shift rod arm 180 degrees.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I had mine that way for a while. The cover was removed. I didn't see much of an advantage to it, but it didn't suck either. I guess I didn't track it enough to see the point.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did it to mine. ive got vortex rearsets. didnt have to cut anything just flipped the shifter rod arm to about 11 o'clock. its originial position is about 6 o'clock. all you need is a longer shift rod. I love the gp shift pattern never have standard again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know what the little sensor on the cover is exactly?

To test this out I want to just run no cover since I need to grind the cover other wise

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just set up my 01 today to the GP shift pattern...didn't cut the cover. I just flipped the piece that connects the rod to the transmission. I've searched alot before I had done this...everyone said they had to cut the cover. Turns out it works fine as long has you switch it from below horizontal...to above horizontal. Doesn't seem to matter what angle...ie.10 o'clock, 12 o'clock, or 2 o'clock. Mine's at about 10 o'clock and works fine! I of course had to lengthen my STOCK shift rod...but that wasn't a problem at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The "GP" or reverse shift pattern is really only needed for the track, and some racers don't even use it. Although, there are a few of us street riders who will benefit from it. If you've ever experienced having your foot torn from the rearset during an upshift mid left hander.... this may be for you. Many street riders don't ride aggresively enough to shift mid-corner. So it then just turns into personal preference.... Just don't let your buddies ride your bike that aren't prepared for the reverse shift pattern.

As far as the modification.... I owned a '97 ZX7R and a '98 ZX6R that the mod was as simple as flipping the transmision lever. But on my '03 i had to cut the sproket cover. VERY SIMPLE.
The reason for this is without cutting the lever was too far forward to clear the sproket cover at about a 9:30 angle (see 1st pic below) which during shifting this would cause a bending tweak in the shift rod and sometimes cause a false shift during up motion or "down shift".

Cutting the cover creates enough room to move the lever up to a 11:00 position giving the shift-rod a more level position and the lever plenty of room for proper shifting.

This can be done with a simple drill like i did, or to make it look better use a dremel and a steady hand. (much easier to remove cover to do this mod)

before:

After:

Yes, i know my bikes dirty, i ride alot and use a lot of chain lube.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts