Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did a search and found a great thread on a very cheap way to convert to a GP shift pattern on an '05 6R (basically 4 washers to extend the shifter to clear the frame). The thread is a few months old so I was just wondering if anyone has been using this and is it working out? This last weekend at the track convinced me to switch over as I couldn't always shift when I needed to and my buddy who has the GP set up on an R6 was able to get the jump on me on some exits out of certain turns. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Originally posted by prs
Okay, I did a search and found a great thread on a very cheap way to convert to a GP shift pattern on an '05 6R (basically 4 washers to extend the shifter to clear the frame). The thread is a few months old so I was just wondering if anyone has been using this and is it working out? This last weekend at the track convinced me to switch over as I couldn't always shift when I needed to and my buddy who has the GP set up on an R6 was able to get the jump on me on some exits out of certain turns. Any input would be appreciated.
I've been running GP shift with the directions from that thread and it's working great. It MIGHT scrape the frame just a bit(mine did) and it might not. People have had different results. Personally I don't care at all because they're not noticable, and even if you ever switch back, it's not deep at all so you can just get a little bit of flat paint and go right back over it.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Look in racers corner of this forum Do A search of little green monster postings and or quick shifter. I have pics of both. It works great, but, you need 5 washers. I've done several converts on 636's.

green the only way to flllyyy![:p][^]:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried it. Really liked it until the bolt with the 4 washers added backed out when i was riding. I may try again with some locktite.

Has anyone else have there bolt backout?

·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question. When I installed the washers to space the piece that fits on the splined shaft, the pinch bolt no longer fits properly into the recessed area on the shaft as it was intended. Now, the threads from the pinch bolt are tangling with the splines on the shaft. Is it just me as in I did something wrong or can I just continue to tighten the pinch bolt with no worries about the splines on the shaft?? Anyone else run into this? Attached is the original poster's diagram. However when the washers are installed, the bolt does not fit in the recessed area as shown. Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't use a washer on the spline. 5 washers are used behind the shift lever on the rear set. Pull the lever with the pinch bolt as far away from the bike as possible with the bolt starting to thread but loose. Then tighten the bolt while pulling the lever away from bike. 5 washers will clear the frame and make sure the shift rod end is turned so the hex side is flat with the frame.

·
45,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by lil green monster
Don't use a washer on the spline. 5 washers are used behind the shift lever on the rear set. Pull the lever with the pinch bolt as far away from the bike as possible with the bolt starting to thread but loose. Then tighten the bolt while pulling the lever away from bike. 5 washers will clear the frame and make sure the shift rod end is turned so the hex side is flat with the frame.

Roger that, Monster. ;) I have 4 additional washers on the rear set and was going to try one more before shaving a little off the shifter rod. I had to get a new pinch bolt from Lowes cuz I bitched up a thread or two on the original, no biggie. I guess a little blue loc-tite on the rear bolt and keep an eye on it to see if it backs out? Thanks for the help. [:M86]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.