Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to mod the free Ohlins from a ZX-10R to fit my bike but figured I would just buy one. If you don't know, I ride a 06 ZX-6R and was wondering what you guys think about the GPR Steering Stabilizer? I found one for $280 shipped. The guy used it for 2 weeks and then sold his bike for a 1000. They have LIFETIME warranty's on them and the guy gave me all his info and said if there are any problems he will refund me my full amount paid. How is the damper? And problems? Please post your Pro's and Con's!!! Thanks!

This is the actual one. Comes with all the mounting hardware. MINT.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
for that price, i would do it.

a rotery damper will do you the same as a linear.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
I've had mine 1.5 years, flawless, I love it.

Although the newer design is better, this one does the job

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
they have a lifetime warranyt on everything but the seals. And I've heard HORROR stories about the V4's leaking. Motomummy quit selling the V4's because of so much trouble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it is a V1 because the dial only goes up to 8. The new ones have more numbers, and the dial is cupped, not flat. I have a V1 - used it for racing for 5 years - never a problem. If you have the paperwork, they will rebuild it for you for free, forever, or so they claimed when I talked to them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
And oh yeah, I had a big crash in April on a ZX without a damper. And it was a tank slapper that pitched me off. Don't know for sure that a damper would have saved me, but I will never ride without one again. Assuming I can grow some new bones and such. :( Get the dang thing!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've ridden with a GPR. My Dad still has a GPR V1 on his 636.

It's definitely a solid damper and will serve its purpose. It's far better than nothing if you get into a tank slapper. However, I sold my GPR for an Ohlins linear and have never looked back.

Pro:
Compact
Easy to adjust
Cheap rebuild
Very hard to destroy

Con:
I don't feel it damps as linearly as a linear rod. Feel is different and I prefer the linear.
The V1 is pretty bulky. The new V4 is much smaller and looks cooler IMO.

Yeah, the cons are pretty subjective, so there's really no reason not to get it.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I have 2 (v1) and their great. Nothing to compare against but i paid more than that for 1 and they are near indestructable. GPR service is great also.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i love mine. bike feels unrideable without the damper. i pretty much leave it at 3rd click sometimes i go to 4 for freeway but thats all i need. i wish there was a more solid way to mount the post to the bike, just that one single screw is kinda weak IMO

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I say yes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have two 06 636... 1 with.. and 1 without the gpr(same one as in the picture) just like everyone says... its a totally different bike... feels a lot better...

i got a free toby linear damper.. which im gonna try out... on the 636 with no dampner..
BUY IT!!!..

if not give me the info, ill buy it!!!!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i have never had a damper, but alwase wanted one. like edi636 said. "cant imagine riding without it" probably like a lot of thing. i can ever imagine riding with out stainless brake lines, and rear sets again. one of those things that once you get, you will really appreciate.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i've had mine for 2 years and like it. no leaking

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
I've had mine for over 2 years and I'm quite satisfied with it. It literally saved my ass on at least on occasion. On a road i know well and that was totally clean 30 minutes before as we rode out, on the way back I crested a hill at a high rate of speed and someone lost some fire wood in the road. I instictively got my ass off the saddle and prepared for impact, using my legs to absorb the blow. Handle bars began violently flying back and forth but the GPR (set on 5) kept it under control and I was able to stay relatively calm and keep the bike upright. Front wheel was toast and some plastic got broken but it could have been much, much worse. I say go for it. I did have to ride bitch home though. :(

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Ohh yeah, It is a V1. OK Go for it, Just stay away from the V4's guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts