Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi to use with my 2005 ZX-6R, and have just now gotten around to mounting it properly.

I looked at several options including Techmount and Ram. I ended up going the Techmount route only because the arm looked more finished.

I ordered the mirror bracket arm mount which is supposed to screw into one of the bolts that hold on the mirror from the inside of the top fairing.

I discovered after unpackaging and test fitting the arm that its impossible to use the mirror bolts without in some way cutting the black plastic cover (the one that is directly under the grip on both sides of the bike.)

Bitterly disappointed, I repacked everything and got ready to send it back. Before getting to that though, I had the fortune to need to remove my windscreen (Puig double bubble type) during a general cleaning session.

Right behind the gauge cluster was a sturdy mounting bolt. I unpacked the techmount and low and behold it was the same thread size as the mirror bolt and what's more, by using a long screw post (essentially a very long set screw) I was able to mount the arm directly behind the gauge cluster such that the arm went up and over the cluster placing the mounting plate right in front of the speedo.

It's a very clean install and though it blocks the upper portion of the gauge, you can still see the warning lights and the temp and clock (and up to about 9000rpm on the tach.

With the GPS installed I have a more accurate speedo display anyway, and I'm less concerned with looking at the RPM gauge when I'm on a trip that requires the mounting of the GPS.

What's more, when I remove the GPS from its cradle, I can swing the mounting plate (its on a ball swivel) up and out of the way so that I can see the entire gauge again.

I'll try to post images of it tonight if I can, but just thought others who liked clean centerline installs for this kind of equipment might find this info useful... I can't recall the Techmount url at the moment but it's a fairly mainstream site. Search on the "mirror bolt" arm mount for the 2005 ZX series bikes.

Feanor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.