Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got back from england (few days holiday) and picked up the latest weekly motorbike rag MCN. They had a cross-review of the best mods for the (all 03 models) ZX6R, R6, CBR'RR, GSXR and Daytona. They did performance figures before and after, with track based times as well (10 pages in all I think)

Guess what? (well its not news really) the ZX6R came out on top. Same comments about monster motor and rigid chassis with good brakes. The mods which (to me) sounded interesting were; can change (obvious), front sprocket down one tooth (made a big difference apparently), carbon loraine front pads (gave more feel, more resistent to fade), power commander (still not convinced, comments?), higher screen, rear shock (for me biggest improvement) and rear sets.

Tommorrow I will post the full list. btw, the R6 came second, with the honda in turd. :D

Paul.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That MCN issue is due out this week here (across the pond)... saw the preview for this test in the last issue... can't wait.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting list of mods.

I faded the fronts a bit after quite a few laps the other month. Then they came back, but the point was clear. The stock front pads may be done-for, at under 1,000 miles or about 300 laps at the track. Tough luck, I guess: they’re roughly a quarter to half-worn, by the looks. The brakes remain the most remarkable I’ve ever used on any bike.

The stock screen works great for me, at 5’11” (180cm). I can tuck in fine. I’m a big oaf, too, at 107 Kg. Whatever works for you.

A pipe change is “obvious?” I feel a bit left out: my can’s stock. The bike sounds a bit choked-off, though, through the midrange. Odds are I’m running a little lean, though I’ve not pulled a plug to check (stock bikes usually run lean in the U.S., to pass emissions laws). I’m gathering resources to do a strike on the pipe, injection, and rear shock all at once.

The rear shock is too lightly-sprung for me. I’ve felt worse suspension, though, notably the stock Sachs-Boge on my (former) Aprilia Mille. Nevertheless, I’ll almost certainly grab an Ohlins or Penske rear soon.

So let’s talk a little about moving a tooth down in front on the ’03.

I’m unclear if this mod allows retention of the stock chain. Also, on some bikes going one tooth lower in front results in chain guide wear (clearance issues). Rumor has it this is also tougher on the transmission, but that may or may not be correct. Again, I do not know if these are factors for the ’03 ZX6.

How subjective power’s affected is by far the greater concern, from my perspective. My stock ’03 suffers a dreadful lack of midrange (no surprise, given the torque figures and stock exhaust). Granted, I’m coming off an Aprilia Mille, with 30 more ft/lbs of torque but only slightly greater horsepower. When spun up, the ZX moves smartly, however, far better than expected: I’m certain that’s due to 1) extra displacement 2) close-ratio transmission. Bless 600s on the track.

I don’t know if there’s a gearing table posted here somewhere. I’m guessing top speed would be down maybe 5-10 mph with the sprocket change, made up for by better drive off the turns.

Thinking of two tracks, U.S. west coast, Pacific Northwest: Pacific Raceways and Portland International. The latter’s a “faster” track, favoring liter bikes and significant corner speeds. The former I haven’t figured out yet, though the 636 seems to do well and Gixxer 750s seem to have a better go of it than anything. Both have fairly long straight-aways, though the Portland straight sees higher speeds. Hmm. Guessing stock gearing might be better at Portland (maintain higher speeds, few low-speed turns), the lowered-gearing at Pacific Raceways (couple turns where corner drive is very important).

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They basically did the same mods on each bike... slip on exhaust, power commander, new shock, brake pads, air filter, braided brake lines, 1 down front sprocket, double bubble screens, and new rubber... on all 5 bikes (R6, CBR, Triumph, Gixxer, 636)...

It wasn't necessarily a battle of component vs. component by brand or type, but a look at which mods made the biggest difference on each bike. On the Kawasaki, they rate them in THIS order...

1 - Rear shock (88% effectiveness over stock)
2 - Slip on exhaust (87%)
3 - PC III (85%)
3 - Front sprocket (85%)
3 - Tires (85%)
3 - Brake pads (85%)
7 - Air filter (80%)
7 - Braided hoses (80%)
9 - Double bubble screen (78%)

... then they take all 5 bikes to the track where (who else) the 636 cuts the superior lap time (well duh!) and they rate it best overall 600 class weapon in modified form and with the highest speed trap readings. In stock form, the 636 came a tick off the top spot, surprisingly held by the Triumph of all bikes. A pro rider did the laps on each bike.

Basically, they're suggesting the first and most effective aftermarket hop-up for the 636 should be the rear shock, which allows the bike to settle down a lot more in the rough going and in the turns. Not a real surprise since SO many of our forum member fast guys have already stated this on this forum several times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
THX a lot for this pretty detailled information! :)
We don't have MCN here...[B)]

Were there any recommendations for the TOPs 1-3, WHAT did they use (shock, can, brakepads)?

Hi from germany,

[:p]

Jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
hmm if ur brakes are fading i would suggest putting braided lines on ur bike. i did it to my old cbr250rr and it made the greatest diferance. stoppies with two fingers. also they will prevent brake fade (or at least reduce the effets) as they will not expand like the rubber ones as the fluid boils. change of brake pads is certainly a good idea if u want to prevent brake fade but braided lines have to be done at the same time IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm astounded nowhere on that list is "steering damper" mentioned. That was my personal no. 1 mod: if the bike's not stable, it ain't going anywhere. One tank-slapper into a wall can ruin your whole day.

I'll agree the atrociously harsh rear shock has to go next.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by DRB NW WA State USA

I'm astounded nowhere on that list is "steering damper" mentioned.
Maybe they focused on modifications of standard items, so when the bike has no steering damper stock they didn't include it into mods list.

Apart from stickier tyres, most likely the only tech mod to my bike (or should I say add on) for next season is a quality steering damper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey dj, what tires did they upgrade to on that bike?
Im looking at new tires for my '02 zx6r and just wondering what they put on there...thanks...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I remember correctly they mounted metzeler rennsports (which means also pirelli supercorsa as well; they are the same tire). IMHO these tires are the best road based tire for the track, they absoluotely rock...I have them on my ZX6 now, before my Aprilia Mille R, before my R1 etc.etc. I have also tried Michelin pilot race (longer to warm up) and Bridgestone 001 (did not like them). Tire choice is a personal thing tho.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by YvonPee
THX a lot for this pretty detailled information! :)
We don't have MCN here...[B)]

Were there any recommendations for the TOPs 1-3, WHAT did they use (shock, can, brakepads)?

Hi from germany,

[:p]

Jay
Hey, at last someone else from Germany, hi!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.