Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a weekend ride down to Va. A buddy and I went to Skyline Drive, right at the start of the blueridge mountains. Its about 2hrs from Baltimore, 1.5 from DC.

The bad news is the drive has a speed limit of 35 (you can go 40)and it is strictly enforced. The good news is that there is 100 miles of the twistiest roads with views that force you to stop every 5 miles. I found 40 mph to be just fast enough, but was sometimes tempted.

The road has three equally spaced out rest stops with food, fuel etc, and the road runs across the top of about 25 different mountains. All around you is the Shannendoha Valley National Park (SP), and you get to admire the views from about 3000 ft. The cliff edges are great (think James Bond) and there is even a tunnel through bare rock to really hear your pipes in.

We brought a tent and camped. which was fine but not really comfortable. There were people there with campers all the way to the Madden esq bus. $10 to get into the park. $14 to camp. Rule of the road is you pull over to let people pass, so all in all, it was a flawless 200 mile ride.

Very much recommended.
Google Skyline Drive or PM me for more info.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Righ on! The parkway is my normal ride when I head out for a few hours. It turns into Skyline way up, don't get up there much. Here the speed limit is 45, but can cruise at 55 without getting bothered and the turns are sick! I see the deals gap vids and it looks just like the parkway.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Got pics???? Trying to convince some of my fellow beach bums to head up that way before end of season for a weekend ride.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, the skyline is an awesome road, I took the 100 miles worth of skyline and additional 300 miles worth of the blue ridge parkway in June when I was heading down to the gap. I was trying to average around 70 mph on the blue ridge, luckily I only passed one cop the entire time and I saw him from a while away. 45 feels way too slow for the blue ridge, my dad has a cruiser and doesn't ride fast. If it were't for waiting up for him, I wouldh've been doing 65-70 mph the entire time.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I love that road! Have the leaves started to change? I wouldn't even bother riding that road if they have because people come from all over the place to see the changing leaves.

I've never ridden The Dragon, but this road is definitely one of the better ones in the area.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Dalarast, it's an awesome road. You need to come check it out, you'll move up here to be able to ride the parkway everyday. It's like the people that live near deal's gap, they can go anytime. 300+ miles of twists and turns here!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've driven in a cage on the road many times; but never on the bike yet.... (used to live 45 mins away from the rt 33 entrance to skyline). So.... really who wants to show some beach bums the skyline? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.