Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can ride the ZX6R as smooth as you want.... that all depends on the rider. My bike by far is more comfortable riding then anyone in the group, my friends even comment on it. Sometimes I will just put along in 6th at around 60mph. which is ~5500 RPM. Being my first bike I had to get used to the numbness feeling after a few months it went away. Has good power down low and can accelerate well in 6th. from even 20 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks.

Sorry, I've searched around the board to see which one you ride, but couldn't find it. I presume 03.
I'm just checking coz the 01-02 had a really glassy street oriented engine, thats why I ask about the new one, which is obviously more agressive.

I agree that the bike is pretty comfortable, unlike the older GSXR750 which made me almost lay on it. Same with the R1 and R6.

Really less agressive, thats why I took it under consideration and the love for the Thundercat fell in the water =).

I found some info that the Ninja pulls to 60 in 3 seconds.
Thats ofcourse with a throttle whacked open, right?
I mean, it won't pull like hell at around 3k, where I presume is the power needed to get moving from the stop.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, my name is Petar, 25, art student and a game company employee =).

Anyways, I've been lurking the boards for a couple of weeks reading all I could from 1st hand Ninja riders, and it does seem as a nice motorcycle.

I've checked out the green 03, sat on it a bit, and my god, when the salesman turned it on, and let me twist the throttle, I swear that I got goosebumps, from my ass and up to a neck. That thing sounds amazing. I HAVE to get one of those...so I decided I will buy it...once I get some cash.

Well, to get to the actual point.

I've taken a motorcycle test, passed it with flying colors. I had a bike YEARS ago, but it was only 50cc, something simmilar to Aprilias, Hondas etc, with 5 gear transmission.
I had a previous experience on some lame ass Aprilia Enduro, 125, which was a piece of cake to ride, but I also realize it was an upright position so it felt more like a bicycle. I rode BMX races and downhill mt. bikes so it felt really natural to me.

Now, I must say that thing [ninja] scares me and I have the uttmost respect towards it since I am really THE most beginnerish rider.

What I would like to know is how smooth, slow and easy can you ride it.
I'm talking about 40-60 mph TOPS for a first few weeks. I read that most of you ride it, for the break in period, around 3-4k rpm, so, whats the aproximate speed at those.

I know it can pull hard, but I just don't want that, atleast before few hundred miles.

To close it all down, I was all for the Thundercat, which is a very smooth and buttery ride, but considering its weight and size, it isn't really what I need in a bike.
I need something to blast through town and do occasional trips home (around 60 miles). Later on, some twisties like I do it in my car from time to time.

Is the Ninja and OK bike for what I need it, and ONCE again, can it be forgiving if I treat it with respect [i.e. no R6 twitchiness or R1 BRUTE power]

Thank you

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You got to let us know what game(s) you working on... there must be somethign in the water over there (Croteam...Serious Sam).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, Grunt, you got it right.
Didn't want to brag about it, so I just gave a little hint.

Yes, I worked on Serious Sam, as character concept and skin artist.
You played the Xbox or the PC version?
And...how did you like it?

·
Registered
327 Posts
PC Version, great fun. :)

Welcome to the board, hope you get yourself a ZX-6R soon!

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I already feel very welcome here, you guys are super nice.

Anyways, I still didn't get the answer about how powerfull and strong it is at around 2-3k.
I ask this because I want to know will it scare the shit outta me from the start.

Also, I would like to know how it behaves in the heavy traffic. Does it overheat easily, I would like to avoid high speeds for a week or two =)
Call me a wuss, but hey, I choose life =)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Its very managable under 5000rpm, you won't scare yourself at 2k-3k for sure.
At that rpm if you gun it, the engine would bog down somewhat, not take off like a rocket, which is a good thing.

The 00-02 6R's are very stable bikes, the turn in is not as quick as say an R6, which in turn gives it a more stable ride. It handles bumps very well. It's one of the few 600 class bikes that does not need a steering damper to feel good on the street.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by Petar

Yeah, Grunt, you got it right.
Didn't want to brag about it, so I just gave a little hint.

Yes, I worked on Serious Sam, as character concept and skin artist.
You played the Xbox or the PC version?
And...how did you like it?
The PC version...great game, even if it had come out of one of the big companies, so you get even higher bonus points! It's so INSANE though, I have to put the difficulty level lower than I care to admit :( :D Keep up the good work! And good luck with the zx6r, you'll love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CDN, thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought it behaves, altho that scary number 118HP made we wonder. I drive a 206 that has 114 HP, and I know what it does around 3.5k when valves open =).
Now, considering this bike {with me} is about 5 times lighter...you get the point.
I was curious also, because of that Aprilia I rode, when opened, it would bog down like hell, and then it would just explode. Might be because of the lame carburation. It was imposible to drive it in circles, coz you constantly had to add throttle to keep the balance.
The engine would bog, then come alive almost lifting the front wheel up. Imagine the problem while doing circles =)

Ofcourse, I presume Kawasaki has a MUCH MUCh refined machine, and this could not happen ofcourse.

One more thing I would like to know.

Ram Air. The sales guy said it puts out 123HP with raim air at around 10,000 rpm. What the hell does that thing do? I mean, are those the ACTUAL horses on the rear wheel or is it just the power engine produces to keep the acceleration.

Grunt....Ah, Sam can get pretty frustrating. The guys at level design somewhat overdid it for my tastes, but we had to keep insanity at higher levels coz thats the only thing that actually sold the game. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Petar,

See if you can get your hands on dyno chart from a stock zx6R and that will give you an idea about the kind of things you are looking for. I can't think of a link off the top of my head at the moment though..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Amazingly, 6R's can be as docile as you want them to be. When I was first considering buying one I was scared as hell of them cause I heard they were so damn fast. But when I got mine, I was amazed, you can put around as slow as you want on them. You can really ride them as easy or as hard as you want.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ninja, yeah, no problem about that, I just have a hard time reading this stuff. I can see the performance on this picture throughout the rpm range, I presume in 1st gear. Well, according to this chart, it seems it puts out 29HP at 6,000. Well, thats managable.

Whats that second line, that maintains somewhat linear, starting from 42HP?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
the second line is Torque. I'd love to explain really what the difference between torque and horsepower is when it comes down to how hard the bike is going to pull, but I'd end up confusing myself.

Having had taken some physics classes in college back in the day, I would chalk torque up to "pulling power". But, I'll let someone more versed in this stuff explain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bah, but ofcourse, stupid me. If I had checked the chart a bit more I would see that the other measures are for Nm. Yeah, I know what torque is, I had physics classes throughout my highschool.
Well, considering this it pulls pretty hefty at 6k, but thats still managable.

Well, to close it all done I had another visit at the dealership, checked the bike thoroughly, and I am still amazed how good it looks and feels. My only gripe is that my nuts kinda press onto the tank, and I am bit worried what would happen over the bumps =).
But, that aside, the sitting position, bars - seat - pegs is pretty cool, not as extreme as I thought.
I really like the bike, now I only have to convince my dad to buy it over his company (he is scared so it will be a hard time). Buying something over the company, you don't need to pay the tax, so thats 22% off the price. I think that would be around $7000.

Hope it will happen soon.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Petar, that chart also displays KW not HP...

KW is used primarily in Europe, we don't talk much of KW here in N.A....

For a description of horsepower measurements, see these threads...

/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1505
/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2977

Specifically, look at Rob Lee's post on converting W to HP (where obviously 1 kw = 1000 W)... in your graph it appears the ZX6R dyno'd peaks at around 87kW... which using the .7547 conversion rate, equates to around 117hp. That is likely either optomistic for rwhp (rear wheel horsepower) or slightly low for claimed crank hp... and your presumption that dyno tests are done in first gear is inaccurate... they test the engine's POWERBAND (full spread of power), and not in relation to any specific gear ratio.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
8 Posts
dj Dunzie, yeah, I forgot to convert KW's to HP's.
Its true what you say that we Europeans measure the power in kWatts, but about 99% of people talk in horsepower units, so we often need to calculate (I think the French made all of us use that units). 1kW=1.3HP, or as you said it, 0.7547 multiply factor.

Ok, about that chart. I presumed it was a 1st gear since it is the most powerful one, sorry for the ignorance.
So, what does that mean...that the engine DOESN'T produce 117HP at 13k rpm in 1st gear.

It doesn't actually matter as I am not that kinda speed/power freak, as far as I am concerned I would be happy with 80HP, which is more than enough, in my novice opinion.

Thanks for clearing things up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.