Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 68 and retired from a lifetime in the motorcycle and automotive industries. I was a design engineer for Harley Davidson in the 70's. I have owned 29 bikes. In my youth I raced flat track and in my 30's rode enduros. Besides the 550 LTD, I currently have a HD Sportster 1200 Custom and three Yamaha's: 07 Majesty, 03 Zuma 50, and a 09 Zuma 125.

A close friend of mine passed away three years ago and yesterday his widow called me and asked if I would like to have his 83 550 LTD. During his lengthy illness I had taken care of it for him. Bike was in excellent condition with 6.000 miles.

It had set for the last three years without any attention. I brought it home with great difficulty getting it on the trailer as the tires were flat and the front brake was dragging.

Battery was at zero voltage and would not respond to charger. New one already ordered.

I have drained the tank and carbs. Gas was a lovely shade of light green :-(
I dread taking the carbs off to clean them but it has to be done.

The master cylinder looked nasty. I used an impact screwdriver to get the cover off and one of the screws sheared off. I will try to drill out the broken screw but am not optimistic. Small screw frozen and blind hole. The mirror was even difficult to get off the housing as brake fluid had found its way into those threads too.

Could anyone direct me to a source for a replacement master cylinder (not from China)?

I have a complete shop and PDF copy of service manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
my suggestion would be ebay? or try do a google search for vintage bike breakers near your area! how do you feel about offering some advice for my poblem? Arron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my suggestion would be ebay? or try do a google search for vintage bike breakers near your area! how do you feel about offering some advice for my poblem? Arron
Be glad to try and help you. What are you trying to do?

I've looked at everything on ebay. The link you posted from ebay is for a rebuild kit. I think I need a complete master cylinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts