Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the boards, new to motorcycling!

Yes, with zero rider experience I am going to go ahead and buy a left over '02 zx6r. Having wanted a Ninja since I was probably 14years old, 12+ years of waiting later I am giving in. Ive trolled through the messages here about "Hi, I am new and getting a 600" and mostly its the mixed reaction I get when I ask people in person.

Inherently, I am conservative, even as a driver. I used to speed, but a $260 ticket and later, I have yet to ever get adventurous again. I hate tickets, and points even more. Heard enough horror stories to know better about wanting to satisfy curiousities like "wonder what happens if I rip throttle wide open just about now...".

The bike itself will stay garaged until early June, when by then, I hopefully would have completed my MSF course successfully and be licensed.

With reponsible riding, caution and good luck thrown in, I plan for this bike to be a keeper. (oh, and good gear!) Really, really excited about this. :)

-- '02 ZX6R

·
Registered
207 Posts
Truthfully, I started on a 250 ninja and rode that for a year before I got my 636 and once I got on my 636, it seems just as easy to ride and begin on as my 250. So good choice, you'll love it;)

--- '03 zx6r

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome! Subtract 2 from your age, the year of your bike, and the amount of months you'll have to wait in order to start riding and you end up in my shoes :D Good luck with your new bike, and find some interesting hobbies to distract yourself until June ;)

2000 ZX-6R

·
Registered
545 Posts
Join to the club....
"and find some interesting hobbies to distract yourself until June" Like, get on with the mods :D

[:p] '02 Green ZX-6R Limited Edition [:p]

·
Registered
81 Posts
ninja2002, I to started on a 02 zx6r (after i took the MSF though) and it was so easy to ride it actually suprised me .... u'll luv it ... just dont get too cocky coz she wont hesitate to put u on ur ass if u disrespect her ... enjoy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome... good choice of bike. I bought a leftover'02 and can't pick it up yet because of massive snow. You will love it! I took the safety course last year and bought a used Ninja 500. It was a great bike to start on, but not enough tire and brake (and horsepower). Anyway I got my license over 20 years ago but stopped riding (kids etc.) So now my husband and I ride almost every day. Can't wait to ride the 600. Have fun and be safe!

My other ride is a yellow '02 ZX6R

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey, another bike like mine. I bought mine also as a left-over 2002 636, and it is absolutely awesome!

I gotta get a pic of it soon so I can put a signature up...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the bike shipped down to my place this saturday! Later on, got antsy, decided to go turn it back on and just feel good about myself. Sunday roles around and a buddy comes over to check out the bike, and it didnt start :(

I'm kinda worried about what might be wrong. It was about 35F outside, could that be a reason it didnt want to start? The starter motor just keep cranking the engine, but it never lit it. I didnt want to keep my thumb on the starter too long since im sure I'd have a flat battery in no time. I checked the fuel cutoff switch, and it was defintely in the on position. Bike's got gas in it since I can hear it slosh around in the tank.

Any ideas, or can I chalk this up to the Ninja's somewhat "cold blooded nature?"

--02 zx6r

·
Registered
284 Posts
You'll always have to open the choke to start the bike when it's cold out. Open it up about 3/4 before you crank the bike over. Once the bike is showing a temperature reading, you can start easing the choke shut. Do it too quick and the bike will die. I sometime give it a little throttle to keep the RPM matched while I shut the choke.

My bike has never liked to start just from pressing the starter. Even when the engine is warm, I usually have to give it a little throttle. To a degree, it's just the nature of Kawasakis.

Congratulations! Sounds like you've got the right attitude so far, but be careful that you maintain it. It's really easy to get caught up in trying to prove that you can keep up with more experienced riders. These bikes are actually pretty easy to ride slowly -- the powerband is smooth and predictable -- but they are also mind-bogglingly fast when you ride them hard. Make sure you get surrounded with people who let you ride at your own pace.

----------------------
Dave Lee
Red '02
Open Throttle Sport Riders

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.