Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was reading the other thread about putting on grips. I have really short hair, so I had no hairspary to use hairspay for my new Harris grips. On teh website it says not to use hairspary cuz it may damage teh grips anyways. I took off the bar ends, and sliced the left grip first. I used regualr old water on the inside of the grip, and on the bar, and got it on no problem. Then I sliced the right one, and tried the same. About two thirds on, I realized I was screwed. There was NO way I was getting that thing on any more. It refused to slide anymoe, no matter how much I pushed and twisted. So I tried to take it off. No way in Hell. So I beat the crap out of it, and got it flush with the end of the bar using the palm of my hand (OUCH). So once it was flush, I couldn't beat on it anymore to get it all the way on. I tried with the help of a friend to get it taht final inch and a half down onto the bar and be done with it. Nothing, not even half an inch. So I need some creative help from someone on what I can do to get it on that last inch and half, or take it off and buy some hairspary. I don't have access to an air chuck. I was almost tempted to cut it, put it on, and glue it down. But I don't wanna do that to such sweet grips. I don't want to have to pay another 25 bucks for a new pair and ride around with my right grip looking like ass. I hope someone can help! Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Or, just roll down to your kawi dealership and ask them to use the air compressor. If they charge you, they suck. It should literally take them 10 seconds of work.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly how do you use the air compressor to get the grips on? I am totally confused how I would even do it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
All shops will have an attchment that is used for blowing things out. It has a tip on it. place your grip against your bar and the tip of the compressor just between your bar and your grip. you want to use the air to essentially be a "air lubricant" Press the grip on while holding the end of the air tube inside the grip until the grip is where you want it. no glue needed and your grip (if your bar is clean and dry) will NEVER move.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Joker! I gave me dealership a call, and tehy know exactly how to do it, cuz taht's how they install grips. No charge. I dunno, I guess I just kinda panicked and didnt think it through to call em.

·
Registered
246 Posts
DUDE!!! ...Put the grips in boiling water til its nice a flexible, it will expand and go in soooo nicely, then when its on it will cool and go back to a tight fit! -I'm a genius!!!:Dlol (you got to get 'er hot before you stick it in!);)

·
Registered
26 Posts
my throttle grip came off fine but the otherside i had to cut off with a razorblade..the grips went on fine tho i just put the end of it on the bar and whacked the end of the grip with my hand flat right over the hole...3 or 4 times and it was on...(did anyone have a problem with new throttle grip being too long and throttle not going to the idle position?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.