Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ain't gonna win a popularity contest but . . . if I had a choice of a GSXR-750 and a ZX-6R it would be the GSXR-750 in a heartbeat. The only area the ZX-6R is superior is the brakes. The GSXR-750 is probably 10 mph faster top end and 1/2 second faster in the quarter. Add to that the fact that it is one of the best handling bikes around and there is no contest. You can probably buy a left-over '02 GSXR-750 for what you would buy a '03 ZX-6R. The only place a ZX-6R will come close to a GSXR750 is on a tight track with a world class rider on the ZX-6R.

If you throw the '03 GSXR1000 into the mix no thought is necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I'd argue the 636 is pretty close to the gixxer 750's.. you'll get eaten on the straits, but in corners and under braking you'll jump ahead of them gixxer 750 (and your advantage in corners/braking is even more against a 1000).
Look at AMA Superstock, the 636 won Daytona over the gixxer 750's, though very narrowly. Then at Fontana it ate the 750's for lunch.
Now I know these are all prepped race bikes but you can see the potential, and the 636 is brand new and early in development, while the 750 has over a year of development already.
If you put a gixxer 1k in the race with a 636 I'm sure the gixxer 1k would win, but thats to be expected. The 636 would fare a lot better then any other 600 class for sure.

I myself would pick a 636 because I cant imagine needing more power. If you live in an area with lots of strait roads, grab the gixxer1k, if you have lots of twisties, or just love twisties, go with the 636.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We aren't talkin' race bike here. If you compare a street GSXR750 to a street ZX-6R the results are not even close like comparing 600's from different makers. And it is really hard to fault the GSXR750 on handling.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not riding either new 03, I can say from past experiance 97GSXR750 and a 99ZX6R, I would pick which one you like the look of best. Either bike you probably will never even come close to using their full potential. Or you can prioritize... Top speed most important? Cornering? Quarter Mile? Comfort?

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's unfortunate, but true. The GSXR750 is, overall, a faster bike than the 636. The 636 has better brakes and is just oh so slightly a better handler (though the gix750 is no way no how no slouch).

BUT, when comparing AMA Superstock bikes:

AMA Superstock. http://www.amaproracing.com/rulebook/03rrrules.pdf

No bottom end engine mods allowed, pretty darned close to stock engine internals (albeit blueprinted and the best of thousands of factory parts chosen) etc.

The challenge/buy out provisions are pretty interesting -- a competitor (including qualifying privateers) is allowed to buy/bid out on pieces of other bikes -- prices are set forth in the AMA rules. Wanna sink $1 million in a trick shock assembly? Sure, but Joe Privateer will be legally allowed to bid in and buy it -- sort of a big disincentive to really go overboard a la Formula Extreme or Superbike.

Sure, Kawasaki is a factory team. But Attack Suzuki etc are some pretty serious teams with near-factory level expertise and no small level of resources.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
315 Posts
a gsxr 750 is possibly the best all around sportbike ever made. it beats liter bikes in track times and kills the 600s in raw power. get a 750 and your gonna stomp the zx6r in every way. just a fact. i still love my 6r, but if i had the $ right now id have the gixxer in the garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone actually run against a GSXR750, R1, 954, RC51, etc? I know the mags say this, the dynos read that, and logic demands another. But I'm curious to learn what the real world truth is. Roll ons, top speeds, etc. If anyone has done 'em, please post.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For the street (canyon), there is really not much different between 600, 750 or liter bikes. For street-street, a liter bike would give you much usable torque for the stop-go and power to get you out of a jam quickly. For track, all those bikes are about the same. The superstock class is not much different than a bike you can buy from the showroom.

Longest distance between two curves...straight line.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Having ridden everything from a Busa to an Aprilia 50, I've come to enjoy the handling of the lighter bikes, but still miss the 130+ horse of big bore bikes. The 636 is a nice combination, but a new gixxer 1k is a dream bike of mine. 636 has good power, I'm 200 lbs and don't have to use the clutch to wheelie, and it will power wheelie when you sit way back and get on it. I'm buying a used RC51 to get the v-twin big bore bike back, but will probably ride the 636 more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone started a similar post awhile back, but everyone said they needed to break in their bikes first and then get back on this question. Well, what are the current findings?

I'm especially interested because I am buying a bike this week. It's either an '03 Gix 1k or an '03 636. Yes, I realize they are very different bikes. My background is 15 years of sportbike experience ('89 Hurricane, '91 ZX-7, '93 ZX-7R, '95 CBR900RR, '98 R1, '02 Gix 1k) and ex-WERA roadracer. My thrill is still traveling up to NC and riding the mountains, or hitting track days - although, I do live and ride in South Florida as well (mainly straight and flat).

I know the Gix 1k is intoxicatingly fast, and I know I'll miss that. It's also pretty good around corners. But, I know how sweet and pure it is to ride a very light, very tiny, package (I've ridden TZ250's and gray market NSR250's). I miss it, but in the past, I've not been able to accept the huge straight line performance difference when deciding which bike to own for the street.

However, with the new crop of 600's (most notably the 636), I sense that things might have changed enough to keep me happy. If I can get a 636 to run like a GSXR750 (or at least very close), I think I can be happy. I'm willing to throw a full Akro Evo on right away, and a PCIII if need be. I'm not expecting to run with 1k's, but I don't want to be spanked so badly that I might regret my decision.

What is the true road performance of a 636 vis a vis a Gix 750, R1, or 954? Is it close? Is it a solid ass whooping? I need to know.

Wheelies with a full Akra pipe... I don't clutch, and I weigh 200 lbs. If anyone can provide insight here, I'd really appreciate it. You gotta have fun from the lights, right?

Thanks for the feedback. I know several of you have experience with bigger bikes, or have extensive track time, so I value your input with regard to what it was like to move back down to a 600. I have to run with Gix 1k's all the time in my group, but I rather have the flickability and awesome cornering competence that the new 6's seem to have in spades.

Stay safe,

Scott.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love my '03 636 to death, handles like a dream, and brake like...well no comparison. The power is like no other 600(ish) class bike I have ever ridden, but it is mildly uncomfortable. Not like the older gixxer 750s, but it will wear on you in traffic or straight, long roads. I have ridden my buddy's 750 and it is more comfy, and has more power. I havn't ridden it through the twisties, so I can't comment on the handling. I know that stock, with a Devil shotgun slip on, it dynoed 125 rwhp to my stock 636s 101 on the same day, and there is only 20 lbs difference. I do know that he pulls away from me on the straightaways, but I am starting to catch him in the corners. Granted, I only had 650 miles, so it wasn't broke in. The mags are saying 107 rwhp after break in. He is hoping for closer to 135 with the PC III, which puts it above the gixxer 1000. He aslo had a gixxer 600, which he said will out handle his 750, but the bigger bike wheelies better.
I am thinking close to 120 rwhp with a pipe and PC III on mine, will let you know when I get gobs of money!
If I had it to do over, had the money, and could afford the insurance, I would wait until next year. Both Kaw and Honda are bringing out brand new liter bikes that should stomp the gixxer 1000, and will probably weigh in and hang with the 600s, if the technology keeps going the way it is. Always your decision. But I would wait...
ps:wouldn't trade mine for the world, unless they give me a good deal on the ZX10!

C-Ya.....Skiv
http://www.SportbikeLinks.net
'03 ZX6r
'91 ZX6d
http://www.geocities.com/skiv_here/6r.html

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Ok, now that I have a moment to explain why I said what I said about the CBR's, I will elaborate a tad.

Well, most know by now that I am a representative at a dealer, so I get to ride all these different bikes.[:p] I have surmised, after trying them all, that the 929 and 954 provide the best overall package by a pretty wide margin. This is all my opinion, of course. I came up with that opinion, though, based on what I have experienced first hand: Well, first and foremost, it's a Honda...meaning that build quality is first rate. I know that there are some people who frown upon Honda for some reason, but I am willing to bet that frown is based more towards jeliousy than anything else. Bottom line= you don't have to bite your nails in fret of your warranty's expiration.
Secondly, I have yet to find a better combination in a bike between handling and power. Some bikes have a lot of power, but lack in the handling department; others have exceptional handling, but lack in the power department. I just haven't found a better 'best of both worlds' candidate thus far.
Thirdly.....sex appeal. Whether the competition is from the 600 class or the liter class, I don't think there is much competition. I know cosmetics have no bearing on performance so some don't care about this aspect, but when deciding the overall, that has to be considered. I just don't know what it is about the design of that bike, though. Maybe it is the lines. Maybe it is the profile. Heck, it could even be the red and black color scheme...but it is probably just a combination of everything. I can't put a finger on one certain aspect, though. It is just when I think 'sportbike,' I have always pictured that bike in my mind.
I know most in here probably picture the 6R.;)

One more thing about Honda that they have to be given kudos for is their attention to detail. The ergonomics to the inconspicuously wider seat adds comfort, and I particularily like the 3-headlight triangle setup. Low beams- center light; High beams- all three lights. I just think the 'winking headlight' setup that has caught on more this year is so tacky. Honda did this to their 600, as well...I know.

Many times I come across a "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SOUND?!!" topic in here. Yeah, well, I am sorry to say that those sounds should not be occurring. I know everyone just writes them off because they don't hurt anything (which is true, they don't), but the simple truth is that those minor annoyances should have been worked out long before the first bike departed off the assembly line. What's worse is when a manufacturer has a "trademark" annoying sound. That just means they have continued to ignore that detail over the years. I get a chuckle when I hear (or read in this forum) people mentioning the 'pressure hiss' out of the Kawasaki gas tank; or the 'clicking/tapping noise' that increases with the raise of RPMs. It is not only Kawasaki though. I can't forget to mention the familiar 'sporadic buzz' of the Suzuki engine paired with the all too familiar 'CLUNK' of the transmission upon being shifted into gear. Many will say, "Who the hell cares if it makes a little sound?" Well, that is true; it is not a huge deal. But, put two near-identical bikes side by side...one with a hiss from the can- the other without...and tell me which of the two you would rather have.;) Maybe someone has found a Honda bike that makes a consistent peculiar sound, but I have yet to experience/hear about it.
So, above ALL else, I think Honda's most successful selling feature is their overall customer peace of mind. That, coupled with what I previously mentioned, is why I pick the CBR 929 and 954 above the rest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Honda build is good. BUt I'm not a big 929/952 fan.

Why? Only because the competition is that much better. Sure, the squid factor of the GSXR1000 and R1 is more. For the new GSXR1000, we're talking pretty damned close to 150-160 (never mind 130) rwhp. Doh.

Dudes, that's Hayabusa/ZX12R territory from a hellaciously light bike.

Also, the 40 lbs heavier, 155cc smaller ZX9 uber comfortable sports touring bike is about as quick as a cutting edge 954 in the 1/4 mile and not much faster at some tracks.

The 954 is prone to head shake and notorius for head shake.It's a great bike, but the competition is that much better. The ZX9 will almost run with it and about 1000% more comfy.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
128 Posts
Scott in FL:
You've got the experience on the Gixer 1K, and know how hellishly fast it is. Yet you long for the light weight of the 250's. I understand. The Gixer is light for a litre bike, but compared to the ZX6 it's a tank. I bought my wife a 636. I have an '01 Gixer 1K. I was flabbergasted by the power of the ZX6. I honestly can not see why anyone would spend the extra money to buy and INSURE a litre bike when a 636 will give you all the adrenaline rushes you need. I weigh 165lbs., and you're 200, so that may make a difference, but if I had to have one bike, I would take the 636 over the Gixer 1K. If you have no need to brag about having the hottest litre bike, the flickability of the ZX will win you over. It did me.
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mark, great post. That's exactly the perspective I'm looking for (someone with substantial big bike experience commenting on the ability of the tiny 600's). From everything I'm reading, the new 636 is nothing like the 600's of days past.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have both bikes... a GSXR750 and a 03 636, lets compare..
1] comfort.. im a small guy 5'8 145 so niether bike is uncomfortable to me. i went on a 5 hr bike ride in the twistes yesterday on the 636 and never cramped anymore than i did on any other bike for 5 hrs of riding.
2] performance.. the GSXR definetly has a bit of torque advantage on the 636 but my GSXR also has stage 3 jet kit yosh system and -1 up front +2 in the rear. the 636 is just so smooth with the power delivery its just that much nicer.
3]cornering.. this is where the 636 takes the cake both bikes are stock in the suspension dept. Now i live in Socal and there are an amazing amout of roads to ride all year long so this is what sold me on the 636.. the bike is on rails, pick a line put it there and away u go. i had to mucle the Gixx a bit more.

so theres my comparison take it or leave it.
besides the 636 is 355lbs 123 hp out of the box now that aint to bad.
ps i have a GSXR750 for sale if ur interesed..

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I will have perspective on this by next weekend, since my cousin and good riding buddy just picked up a GSXR750 (2002) and I'll have PLENTY of opportunity to run 'em side by side real soon... :D

The 636 I'm thinking is going to be sharper and more narrowly-focussed, and the GSXR will win in terms of torque... should be closer on the top end than many people give the li'l Ninja credit for though I bet...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.