Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
The rest of my Magpul goodies for the 870 should be here today. :)

And since it was payday I think I'm going to compile a list for what all I need to complete my reloading set up. I have the Lee Turret Press, tumbler, and a few other odds and ends.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
When I picked up my 870, the owner of the shop asked if there was anything else he could get for me. I mentioned I was looking for an OEM Glock 33rounder. Well he called me yesterday and said he had one, a guy traded in a Glock 17 with this 33 round mag. Asked if I was interested, it was pretty much brand new. Couldn't see any wear on it and he gave it to me for $10 :)

·
Powerhungry
37,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
day 2 with my new holster.

I love this thing! I was initially hesitant to get a retention holster for fear of it being bulky. this one seems less bulky than the el cheapo uncle mikes I had prior.
plus, it just does not move, its very solid and stable.

I think part of that, its the loop fits my belt exactly, and that the loops are further apart. also, the belt piece has a bit of a curve to it. overall, its just a much better holster.
money well spent.

though, I paid more than I should have. I ordered a belt piece to go with the holster, as the website made it seem as though it didn't come with it. it does. so I have an extra, and paid $6 more than I should have. either way, even at the higher price, its well worth it.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
day 2 with my new holster.

I love this thing! I was initially hesitant to get a retention holster for fear of it being bulky. this one seems less bulky than the el cheapo uncle mikes I had prior.
plus, it just does not move, its very solid and stable.

I think part of that, its the loop fits my belt exactly, and that the loops are further apart. also, the belt piece has a bit of a curve to it. overall, its just a much better holster.
money well spent.

though, I paid more than I should have. I ordered a belt piece to go with the holster, as the website made it seem as though it didn't come with it. it does. so I have an extra, and paid $6 more than I should have. either way, even at the higher price, its well worth it.
Funny, I was just about to ask yesterday morning if you got your holster yet.

Good to hear you like it!

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
I should be able to get out and shoot a little today. My buddy and I are looking to have some silhouette targets made, one of the local metal shops is giving us samples to see what kind of steel we want to use.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
I finished building/staining/polyurethaning my reloading bench and set up my reloading gear last week. I have powder and primers already. Extra brass and bullets should be here by the weekend.

After tallying it all up, I should be able to make 185 gr .45 ACP rounds for about $0.18/rd and 230 gr rounds for $0.20/rd.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
I'm finding JHP bullets cheaper than FMJ per 1000, which I thought was odd. Either way I'm just using them for plinking so doesn't matter to me, whatever I can get the cheapest.

·
Powerhungry
37,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm finding JHP bullets cheaper than FMJ per 1000, which I thought was odd. Either way I'm just using them for plinking so doesn't matter to me, whatever I can get the cheapest.
I briefly considered buying a bulk box of FMJ's because they were cheap that way. but the decided against it, as that would be a completely different load out, and may very well shoot differently from my carry ammo.

so I settled on Hornady XTP's for everything.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
I briefly considered buying a bulk box of FMJ's because they were cheap that way. but the decided against it, as that would be a completely different load out, and may very well shoot differently from my carry ammo.

so I settled on Hornady XTP's for everything.
Do you load your own carry ammo?

I bought a box of Hornady XTP, but it was $35 for a box of 100! I'm going to stash those for a rainy day.... possibly a rainy presidential term.

I ordered 1000 of these which were $0.10 per round. The cheapest FMJ was $0.13 per round.

Where do you normally order your bullets from?

·
Powerhungry
37,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Do you load your own carry ammo?

I bought a box of Hornady XTP, but it was $35 for a box of 100! I'm going to stash those for a rainy day.... possibly a rainy presidential term.

I ordered 1000 of these which were $0.10 per round. The cheapest FMJ was $0.13 per round.

Where do you normally order your bullets from?
yes, I do. though, I have purchased a lot of factory FMJ stuff. I don't see any sense in loading it myself. its pretty cheap to buy. hollow point/defense ammo, not so much. that shit is expensive.

yeah, that's about what I remember paying. $32-35 a box.

I haven't ordered any yet, I have gotten them all locally so far. I usually only get 1-2 boxes at a time.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
yes, I do. though, I have purchased a lot of factory FMJ stuff. I don't see any sense in loading it myself. its pretty cheap to buy. hollow point/defense ammo, not so much. that shit is expensive.

yeah, that's about what I remember paying. $32-35 a box.

I haven't ordered any yet, I have gotten them all locally so far. I usually only get 1-2 boxes at a time.
Yep depends what factory ammo you buy. Right now I've been finding 9mm for about $10-11 a box. $14-15 for .40 (Always seems to be plenty of that), and the cheapest I've seen .45 is $15 (Perfecta) but that's normally sold out so the next up is $18 a box.

Looks like I can reload 9mm FMJ's for about $7.50-8 a box. Not sure if it would be worth my time. After I get comfortable reloading, I'd like to start .308.

Yeah I have a few Glocks in 9mm. For that I think I would go the bulk FMJ route for plinking.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
Well I loaded up about 100 rounds last night. Going to try to get out tonight and test the load out. I loaded them to what should be a little over 800 fps. Hopefully I'll have both my hands to type tomorrow. :lol:

·
Powerhungry
37,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well I loaded up about 100 rounds last night. Going to try to get out tonight and test the load out. I loaded them to what should be a little over 800 fps. Hopefully I'll have both my hands to type tomorrow. :lol:
i have no idea about the .45. is that slow, fast, medium?
it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear some heavy leather gloves, just in case.

though, im sure you will be fine, the .45 is a low pressure cartridge, not nearly as picky as the .40, and even 9mm to a lesser extent.

·
Official n00b
17,207 Posts
i have no idea about the .45. is that slow, fast, medium?
it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear some heavy leather gloves, just in case.

though, im sure you will be fine, the .45 is a low pressure cartridge, not nearly as picky as the .40, and even 9mm to a lesser extent.
800 FPS is the minimum, and my drum measure was consistently pouring 5.6 g so I'm not really worried.

That was one of the reasons I started with .45, tends to be one of the easier rounds to reload from what I understand.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts