Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
We shot through about 150 of my reloads last weekend. We were running a few 3 gun drills, I wasn't really testing for accuracy but I was consistently getting good hits on my target (even with elevated heart rate from running) so they seem good. Next outing I'll shoot a few groups. I've been cranking them out the last few days, have about 400 fresh rounds reloaded and ready to go. It's been something I look forward to each night, it's relaxing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently rolled up some .223 Haven't shot it yet though. Need to do testing...looking for a good combo of brass, primer, propellant load, and projectile type and grain weight

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
I recently rolled up some .223 Haven't shot it yet though. Need to do testing...looking for a good combo of brass, primer, propellant load, and projectile type and grain weight
I'm going to dig into 7.62x51 next I think. Ordered an upper earlier this week to complete my AR-10 build. Hoping it's here for the weekend, not sure I'll have time to test it out if it does though.

I've been finding 147 grain 7.62x51 NATO ZQI ammo at Wally World for $7.47/box of 20, so I stocked up on that. I might not be able to load it any cheaper than that lol. I think I have about 250 rounds of ZQI. Haven't shot any of it yet but I've shot their .223 and it functioned fine. I figured the brass would at least be good for reloading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
First time gun owner!

Hello Kawi Forum!

I'm looking to purchase my first gun (And I'm definitely a newb in this area of knowledge), cost is something that is a big deal to me but so is reliability.. Two things that often conflict. I live in AZ so the gun regs are pretty lax but I'd like a gun for open and concealed carry. I spent sometime at my local range and I like the Glock 19 4th gen. But I'd like to get some tips and opinions from my friendly neighborhood Kawi riders. Looking for cost, reliability and stopping power (for home protection) as the main 3 things that are important to me.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Kawi Forum!

I'm looking to purchase my first gun (And I'm definitely a newb in this area of knowledge), cost is something that is a big deal to me but so is reliability.. Two things that often conflict. I live in AZ so the gun regs are pretty lax but I'd like a gun for open and concealed carry. I spent sometime at my local range and I like the Glock 19 4th gen. But I'd like to get some tips and opinions from my friendly neighborhood Kawi riders. Looking for cost, reliability and stopping power (for home protection) as the main 3 things that are important to me.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks in advance!
imho i'd id say the M&P Shield in .40. or 9 with a high cap mag. The shields are great shooters.

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
Well you're off to a good start, shooting different guns before you buy is ultimately the best thing you can do. What is your budget?

As for concealability, there's a lot that goes into that category. Depending how you carry: appendix, 3-oclock, small of back, etc. You can typically conceal bigger guns easier with appendix carry, because the butt of the gun won't poke out. But there's no one-fits-all approach, you just have to try a few different carry styles out.

If you like shooting the Glock 19, I would suggest buying the Glock 26 for your needs. It too is a 9mm but is the subcompact, very easy to conceal, and holds 10 rounds with the flush mag. Plus with the 26, it can use Glock 19 and 17 mags. So you can have the 26 with a 10 round mag that's easy to carry, with a spare Glock 19 mag (15 rounds) as a backup. Or utilize that Glock 19 mag when you're home, it is very modular in that aspect.

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
imho i'd id say the M&P Shield in .40. or 9 with a high cap mag. The shields are great shooters.
You're right, the Shields are great guns and I don't think you could go wrong with either. But I personally haven't found the Shield or Glock 43 significantly easier to conceal than their double stack counterparts (M&Pc/Glock26/27) for everyday use. YMMV. I would rather have the extra 4 rounds than a few millimeters of width.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well you're off to a good start, shooting different guns before you buy is ultimately the best thing you can do. What is your budget?

As for concealability, there's a lot that goes into that category. Depending how you carry: appendix, 3-oclock, small of back, etc. You can typically conceal bigger guns easier with appendix carry, because the butt of the gun won't poke out. But there's no one-fits-all approach, you just have to try a few different carry styles out.
Budget is probably around 300. I'm willing to spend more for a good gun. I was expecting 500 if I went with the Glock 19 haha. And the carry style that I think I'd be most comfortable with is either 3 O'clock or appendix. Tomorrow is "test it Tuesday!" at my range with free gun rentals. So I'll try out the Glock 26. Anything else you would recommend testing?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would probably choose what the US military chose years ago, if it fit my hand well, and use the extra cash for ammo or a shooting range:
-
-
“$190 - The M9 Semiautomatic is a 9x19mm Parabellum pistol that was adopted in 1985 as the official sidearm of the United States military after winning a competition in the 1980s, beating out many other contenders.

The 92F survived exposure to temperatures from -40°F to 140°F, being soaked in salt water, being dropped repeatedly on concrete, and being buried in sand, mud and snow.

Additionally, the 92F proved a MRBF (mean rounds before failure) of 35,000 rounds, the equivalent to five or six times the pistol’s service life. It officially entered service in 1990.

The Chiappa M9-22 is a replica of the US Military sidearm chambered in .22 rimfire and is available in two versions, the Standard model featuring fixed front sight and windage adjustable rear sight, and the Tactical model with novak style fiber optic sights. The standard model is available with black plastic or wooden grips; the tactical model is supplied with black plastic grips.”

-
Cheap shot: Best handguns under $300 - Photos - Washington Times
-

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
Budget is probably around 300. I'm willing to spend more for a good gun. I was expecting 500 if I went with the Glock 19 haha. And the carry style that I think I'd be most comfortable with is either 3 O'clock or appendix. Tomorrow is "test it Tuesday!" at my range with free gun rentals. So I'll try out the Glock 26. Anything else you would recommend testing?
If you're pretty deadset on the $300 budget, check out the Smith and Wesson SD9VE. I feel it is underrated, it's a lot of gun for $300. It's a full sized gun though and may be harder to conceal.

I personally would spend the extra money if it were a tool I may rely on to defend my life with. Your life is worth the extra $200.
You might want to consider the Springfield XD9/XD9s, Sig P320, S&W M&P 9c/Shield9. Just test a few out, see what feels comfortable and what you shoot the best.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My stepfather used a stainless steel Colt 45 in Vietnam and they let him take it home (he was in the Navy Special Forces).

The big bullets are good for knocking someone down who is winged or has armor, but they also will go through many building walls behind the target, why the UN peace keeping forces use smaller bullets.

A smaller gun with smaller bullets is easier to carry and conceal- The link I provided earlier is a few years old so prices are higher now (after Obummer inflation by gun nuts freaking out), and I also like the brand name for the last revolver on that list (tied to MotoGP racing).

It does seem like they are rating their 12th of 12 guns the highest- the first of the 12 seems very rough and rugged like an AK-47 rifle, more for someone who will not take care of it or drops it into a mud puddle.

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
PSA: If anyone is looking for a Smith and Wesson Shield, Bodyguard, or SDVE pistol there is a rebate program active from 4/1/17-6/30/17. $75 off Shields, $50 off Bodyguards, and $25 off SDVEs.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates

·
Official n00b
16,937 Posts
Using the Versys to transport the shotgun to the trap club now. Save fuel and enjoy the ride:smile2:
I've thought about slinging my AR over my back to take to the range on the 6R. :lol: It's not that far of a ride and with my ccw and PA's open carry laws I don't think it would be a legal issue but it would probably draw too much unwanted attention. You couldn't get away with that regardless in Commiefornia.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
My stepfather used a stainless steel Colt 45 in Vietnam and they let him take it home (he was in the Navy Special Forces).

The big bullets are good for knocking someone down who is winged or has armor, but they also will go through many building walls behind the target, why the UN peace keeping forces use smaller bullets.

A smaller gun with smaller bullets is easier to carry and conceal- The link I provided earlier is a few years old so prices are higher now (after Obummer inflation by gun nuts freaking out), and I also like the brand name for the last revolver on that list (tied to MotoGP racing).

It does seem like they are rating their 12th of 12 guns the highest- the first of the 12 seems very rough and rugged like an AK-47 rifle, more for someone who will not take care of it or drops it into a mud puddle.
Please stop with the gun 'info'.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts