Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just some info from a shops point of view....stay with the lower wattage...I've seen guys that had to replace the entire bulb housing due to burning because they used too high of a watage...if they sold a 70 watt I'd say get that, but since they don't, get the 55! it'll be cheaper then replaceing an entire headlight assembly!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You want the 55w.

·
Registered
140 Posts
**DISCLAMIER**, I am not endorsing this at all, just an FYI…

I have had 100w H7’s since April (one super white, one ion yellow) no issues at all. Yes, I have toughly checked my wiring harness, no signs of melting. No burnt out bulbs, and a lot of use on them…

To be safe stick with the 55w...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by godsdozer
Thats why i was asking about burn out with 100wt bulbs, i use em too
Just an FYI, I've heard of people saying that their harness fried using the 100w. But then again others have used them with no problem (as skywalker). Makes you wanna say Hmmmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think it all depends on the quality of the stock wiring harnesses. Of course, you could run 100W bulbs with no worries if you replaced the stock wiring with a heavier wire. My 99 Grand Cherokee has pretty decent stock wiring, and I run 100W and 110W low beams and high beams. A friend of mine has a 98 Pathfinder, and ran 100W bulbs, only to melt everything in contact with the bulb. As far as our Ninja's are concerned, I don't know about the stock wiring, therefore, I stayed with the 55W bulbs.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
This question might seem silly but I am curious. I just bought a pair of MTEC H7 XENON SUPER WHITE HID BULBS from Ebay. Yes, correct wattage and 4350k. Do I only replace the low beam side and save the other bulb for future use or replace the low and high beam at the same time? Thank you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
be careful with bulb ratings. alot of bulbs say 100W but they mean "55W draw, light output of a 100W bulb" -- are these actually 100W draw bulbs, or "equivalent light output" to 100W?

·
Registered
671 Posts
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=210&1=230&3=585
Which one should i get. the 100 watt or the 55 watt bulbs. thanks.
I would say neither. HID is the ultimate but for just bulb replacement the real long mileage riders who do the Ironbutt rally recommend the PIAA Xtreme White series, the Sylvania (Osram) Silver Star series, or Philips Vision Plus series. Here is a link to the techhouse lighting.
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/auxlights.cfm

My self I wouldn't go with that bulb because of the all blue bulb glass as this means it is not passing as much light. Before the argument starts it's just physics. Tinted glass can not pass as much light as un-tinted glass. A blue tinted bulb will give a nice white look to a bulb that would normally look yellow though. I'd be going for a bulb that has the super white color without needing to get it by tinting the glass...

Here's the link to the Piaa and Sylvania bulbs.
http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H7.html
http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
No. The bulbs I bought are correct. My question is: "Do I only replace the low beam side and save the other bulb for future use or replace the low and high beam at the same time?" Thanks... ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
My question is: "Do I only replace the low beam side and save the other bulb for future use or replace the low and high beam at the same time?" Thanks...
If your replacing your bulbs to get better light then I would replace both as you get the most range from your high so the brighter bulb will give more/better light.

If you are replacing your bulbs for the bling bling effect save the money/bulb for later as no one but you will see the difference on high beam except you.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Originally posted by NX MX5
-- are these actually 100W draw bulbs, or "equivalent light output" to 100W?
Can someone answer this question?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Thank you. I believe they are 55w, but produce 100w, therefore not burning the wires. They have an option of 55w or 100w, however. Best answer would be to call TrickTape and find out... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.