Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you know I have said I have never had one fail (until now). I've ran Parts Unlimited chains with clip type masters all my life and have not had a problem for 15 years.

I recently put an EK X-ring chain on my 6R with a clip on link and it lasted 400 miles, well at least thats when I found that it failed. Its the gold chain with the gold link that came with it.

I got lucky, the chain didnt break. I put it on the rear stand tonight to lube it after riding home from work since I figured the "packaging lube" had run its course. I was spinning the wheel looking for the master and couldn't find it. When I finally did I realized I didn't see it because the clip was gone. Wholly crap I got lucky. I also had a backup handy. Its fixed now.

The backup I ordered is an EK clip link also but its silver instead of gold. I did find a significant difference between the two masters that is obviously the cause. The reccess on the link that failed where milled too deep. It made it act as if I was missing O-rings on one side allowing the link to travel and the clip to come loose. It wasn't much but just enough for me to find it.

The new one is on there and it is nice and tight. I put some silicone on it and its drying as I type this, although I still have my doubts on that I'm just taking people on there word since I had some laying around. I was going to use bailing wire but I dont have any thin enough. This one does feel good though (unlike the last one that I was wondering about when I installed it) so I should be fine.

Im curious what kind of chain and link people where using when they failed. I'm wondering if this chain will show up a lot since its one of if not the most popular chains I see on sport bikes.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Silicone works, so does safety wire if you pull it tight enough. You have to completely clean the link prior to the silicone though.

If you want the silicone to cure faster spritz a little water on it.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cleaned it up good before hand. I let it sit an hour the put the bike away. It should be cured by morning.

Although I knew there was too much play in the link when I put it on, my dumb ass just though it "would be OK". Kind of curious how I got a link that wasn't right though.

If I where to wire it, (I've looked up how), what gauge wire do you use?

oh, and for the record, if you had one break n a sport bike, I am still curiouse what brand the chain was ect...

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i've seen nearly every manufacturer clips fail, some due to installation error, some due to it just broke, i've watched 3 too many ppl get slapped with a chain in my days so you'll never catch a clip master on any bike i own

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
No way would I run one of those. Especially not on a 100 hp bike. Maybe on a 250.
-Cody

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree, I would never use a clip link either, not worth the risk. Cycle gear has a decent chain breaker set that's usually on sale for $40 that'll also rivet a master link. Not sure what silicone is gonna do if the clip decides to bust loose.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Clip chains aren't legal in racing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Depends on the org.

I agree, I would never use a clip link either, not worth the risk. Cycle gear has a decent chain breaker set that's usually on sale for $40 that'll also rivet a master link. Not sure what silicone is gonna do if the clip decides to bust loose.

Guess I cannot offer any proof of times silicone DID keep the clip in place when it would have come off. But in all the years I've spent at the track I've never seen a siliconed one come loose. Which isn't to say I would use a clip style. I only use rivet type masters on my bikes, and the ones I work on. Just saying though.

·
Powerhungry
37,707 Posts
the silicone is to keep the clip FROM coming loose. it wont let it move.

but, hes asking whats brands of chains have had a clip let go.

and quite honestly i doubt there are very many people with street bikes running a clip link.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know what the PURPOSE of using the silicone is for, but with the rate I hear about clip links failing and how many people who refuse to use them on a supersport, I don't see how the silicone is a fail safe. I guess I was just assuming that if the torque of the chain were to blow out the clip link, I didn't see silicone keeping it together.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
"Wholly"???....I think you've officially misused all forms of words that sound alike. There/their/they're/your/you're/accept/except, and now holy/wholly/holey. Congrats.

As far as the clip link, you've either been lucky for 15 years or you oops'd this last one. I am running one right now and it's been fine for the last several thousand miles. I will go back to a rivet master on my next chain. I only went with this setup because the dealer sold me the wrong master and I didn't realize it until I got home and was in the process of putting the new chain on, so I just said fuck it and went with it. The only thing I like about it is it's easy to see, while lubing the chain, as a reference marking to show when you've gone over the entire chain with the lube. That's about it.

Are you sure you didn't press the outer plate on too far and allowed for the clip to wiggle loose?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You shouldn't be able to press it on too far if the link is made worth a damn. Well not without really trying to. Yes though that is the gist of what happened.

I'm going to leave this one on there but I'll probably wire it. I just have to figure out what gauge bailing wire to use. If anyone that wires theirs and happens to know the size let me know, thanks.

I'll be going to the rivet type on this bike the next time I need a new chain, but this one should be fine siliconed and wired until then.

As for the poll, dont worry about that, we don't have enough active members to get a proper gauge on that.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Why not just buy a rivet style one and put it on there now?
-Cody

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
on a chain with 400 miles? doubtful.
-Cody

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Why not just buy a rivet style one and put it on there now?
-Cody
this. 400 miles isn't anything on a chain.. i'm getting read to pull a link out of my chain this weekend to get the tire back to the swingarm some

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im having to order a few things anyway, I might just add that to the list. I've never used any other link then the clip on type though, so Ide get to teach myself something.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts