Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive wanted a solo seat cowl for my bike since it was new, but I cant justify spending the 175 bucks the stealership wants for one up here. So here was my idea.

If anyone has ever made a custom fiberglass sub box, this is similar. basicly, I want to take my stock rear seat thing, peel the original black material, and wrap a fleese fabric on it, then coat it with fiberglass resin, and build the strength up with matting. sand it down smooth, do a little body filler, then paint it to match my bike.

any thoughts? seems like I can acheive the solo cowl look/function perfectly

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i've seen people do this to their 03 and 05 R6s, they turned out like crap! it did not sit flush. but i'm curious to see what you can come up with.

and a seat cowl was only $110 from kawi. how did you get 175?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and a seat cowl was only $110 from kawi. how did you get 175?
Canada, my friend.

Ive done alot of fiberglass sub boxes and they come out looking great..so I think I can pull this solo cowl off pretty well. we will see, I have to work up enough courage to try LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
your best bet is getting a complete race tail.i have an extra one.it replaces both front and rear seats with one fiberglass tail that only has a front seat pad for the rider.the solo seat you want to buy leaves a non-flush look.mines leaves a beautiful custom look no one in the streets has ever seen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the solo seat you want to buy leaves a non-flush look..
If you read my post, it says I dont want to buy one cause they are to expensive..and I dont want a race tail, cause then I dont have anyware to store my tool kit or insurance papers.

Plus..the guys on here that do have the kawi seat cowl have modified them to fit flush, and they look pretty damn good to me after they do that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
well do it up man... I am interested to see what you come up with! Good luck and post it when you are done man!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can do it, you just need to make a wood frame to give you contours, the biggest thing is the bondo and bodywork. BTW don't actually use Bondo it's complete shit.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm actually going to build one out of carbon fiber. I know how to make molds and know how to work with cf...once the temps warm up (as the resin doesn't cure in -xx weather) I'll start it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can do it, you just need to make a wood frame to give you contours, the biggest thing is the bondo and bodywork. BTW don't actually use Bondo it's complete shit.

the seat foam is all i need for contours. it has a shape that im happy with already. nothing wrong with the short strand fiberglass body filler that I use, its only for filling in small imperfections anyways.

I will post up some pictures as I get more into this

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would only consider making it myself if it were totally different than the ones already out today. Be innovative and creative, maybe a different shape or height.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im from Canada and im planning on spending the $175 because i want qaulity and im not going to ruin my bike by trying to make my own shit.

If you can afford the bike then you can afford the solo cap. Dont be cheap! lol
good for you
im sorry you dont have skills though. myself, however, take pride in what I can build, not buy. i prefer to tell people its built, not bought.

175 plus tax is almost a days pay for me, I would rather put that towards food on the table, or the roof over my familys head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts