Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as it turns out the 636 wasnt available at the time of ordering so i ended up with a ZX6RR (2003)---got a pretty good deal only paid for and tag and title...they let me ride on the taxes(7% in florida) and shipping

ive put 200 miles on her in 2 days...havnt really taken her above 6000 rpms so im not sure if what im about to say means anything...my 93 E felt just as quick last year when i had the different gearing on it...it actually felt faster.....not sure if the e has more tourque down low because its more of a sport touring bike and not a tru sport bike.......this RR just feels blah.....HOWEVER i did accidently rev it to 9000 rpms because i pulled out of my driveway and a car coming from behind suddenly weaved in my lane(i think he was drunk) when i past 8000 it felt like i squozed da nawz.......we will have to wait till i get another 1000 miles on her before i know what the bike is truely capable of

and the new back torque limiting clutch(not available on the 636) is very very very wierd.....not bad or good per se` just weird......you know how when u let off the throttle you get engine braking....well i still get engine braking its just very very subtle ...almost none at all.......i have to get on the brakes alot earlier......

i didnt get a 10 or a 12because my E broke and i needed something quick i really didnt care wether it was a 636 or a ZX6RR as long as it was in green...a 12R is too big for me ....not the fact that its a fast bike its just too big (physically) im 5`11 and im sure ther are 5 2` guys riding 12`s around but for me i like to have both feet flat on the ground i also dont need to pay a gozillion dollars in insurance i also have no desire to go 190+

i really wanted the 10 because i am 230lbs with gear and the 10 would be perfect for me ....but i needed a bike very badly and i couldnt wait till febuary

someone with a zx6rr please let me know how the performance is hopefully one of you guys has a pipe and a properly programed power commander to let me know what its really capable of.....i feel kinda dissapointed i didnt get the 636 but at the same time im glad i got the RR because its kinda unique.......the 636 would be more suited for me though because of my weight....im not bitching had i got the 636 i would feel bad because i didnt get the RR [:M114]......i guess ill just have to buy a new set of pistons in a year or 2 and go 1.5mm overbore.....now that i think about it, is that even possible?

i am a nitrous express distributor....maybe i could put a 25 shot on it and keep up with me fellow 636 brothers and sisters...the stock forged pistons should hold the power better then the 636`s cast units.,,,, maybe im just too critical is there really that big of a difference between the 2?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and just to give you a background on myself and my style of riding.....my first bike which last week suffered a catastrophic engine failure to to a incompetent mechanic(i dont want to get into it) was a 1993 zx6e that i had been riding for 7 years ive never done a wheelie (on purpose anyway) im a somewhat spirited driver but i dont race people on a daily basis....im pretty mellow......i have been to the strip but only a few times......i do alot of highway driving and a normal ride for me is 30-45 minutes.....i just thought i would let you guys know a little bit about my riding style so youll have a better understanding of wether i made a good choice or not

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You sound a lot like me and the kind of riding I do. I ride every day, rain or shine, and usually average about 100 miles a day, depending on the weather. But that's why I haven't bought a new 6R or RR yet, because they're just too uncomfortable for me and that type of riding. But if you're comfortable on it, you made the right choice. ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
what do you mean by the 636 wasn't available yet in green? was it just THAT dealer or did they tell you kawasaki didn't make an 04 636 in green yet? Because I have a dealership near me with a green 04 636 and a blue one.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I just got a zx6rr lasr week and I have put a total of 30 miles on it. And let me tell you that I have no information for you except that it looks sweet and that in case anybody cares the 636 falls into the same insurance group as 750 and on my 30 year old ass the increase would of been $700 extra dollars a year screw that. Heres a pick of my beast. Im in the Army so I dont pay taxes and got the bick for just under $7,000 and man am I ol'so happy I would like to have sex with my bike but I cannot find a suitable position.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ive had my RR for about 3 months now. Its a little slow at the start but once u hit 7-8 on the tac, thats when the fun starts. I started taking mine up all the way after i hit my 500mile point and its runnin like a champ. Its got 1200 miles on it now and all seems well. Although the 636 is a tad bit more ballzy, Im still very happy i got my RR. Itll even almost do a power wheelie(kinda). Just make sure ur holdin on when u flick yo wrist ;)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Don't worry. The RR will eat your E for breakfast. The 2003 model was a little weak under 8,000 rpms even compared to all the other 600's in the class, but won't give anything away on top. Popular concensus on this forum is you don't have to worry quite so much about sticking to the factory recommended break in. (Check out this thread}

I ride regularly with Wan2Fly of this forum who has an '03 ZX6RR with an Akrapovic Race system, BMC air filter, and a custom mapped PCIIIusb. There's NOTHING between our bikes in a straight line once we're both up into the gears. I'll pull a few bike lengths if we roll on at lower rpms, but as long as you can keep the RR dancing up in the powerband, it'll run with any 600. The fact that you've only "accidentally" reached 9,000 rpms once says to me you haven't begun to experience the capabilities of this bike. Give it time. And that "weird" feeling you get from the slipper clutch will turn to love if you do any hard riding through the twisties or track days. I'm 220 pounds and I'd have no complaints riding the RR every day if I was forced to switch. I'd just be revving it out a tad further and trying to keep the tach dancing a bit higher when I needed to be near the sweet spot. Having said that, I do appreciate the extra grunt of the 636. It's just a little less "work". But hey, that work is fun isn't it? After all, that's why we ride 600's instead of liter bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Well said DJ Dunzie.Joe speaking from experience don't worry about the break-in period. Run your bike and run it hard. You'll love it I promise. A friend of mine has a 95ZX6 that is modded and although he pulls away from me at the start I literally walk him down and pull away so fast that I can't even see his headlights a few seconds later.(Of course my bike is modded too.):D

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
hit the autobahn squeeze the tank twist the throttle and get up and in her real fast and deep. Legally gonna suck real bad when i come back to the states though. have not got the balls to do over 130 yet. plus it hard with a benz or bmw up your ass.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the 636 with an Akrapovic C/F slip on and a Techlusion fuel delivery system.

At sportbike rally this summer I test rode the RR. The Kawi rep is a racer and friend of mine so we turned it up a little, not your usual ho hum test ride.

Long story short, the power delivery of the RR sucked, big time!

I honestly couldn't believe the difference - it was very noticable, especially below 9,000rpm but even up to 11-12 it wasn't anything exciting.

My bike has to be pulling at least 5-6 foot lbs more torque and 12-14 more HP.

My advice - never ride a 636, you'll kick yourself for not waiting.

Oh, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had no choice really i finish school feb. 25th and as soon as school is out i start my job effectively doubling my salary......no bike=no way to get to school ....no school no big bucks....no big bucks no way to afford the zx10 this time next year :wink:wink: it will be faster then my E and more reliable....and thats nothing to wine over[8D]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by joeZX6RR
Originally posted by joeZX6RR
i noticed today that im getting what look to be small scortch marks on the canister wher i think the cat converter is anyone else getting these discolorations?

this is where there occuring (in the red circle)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
on another note....you would think that the manufacturers would make some kind of recess in the tank for those of us equipped with the hardware ...i would like my new zx10r with the optional "groin cup" ahhhh it would make all the difference in the world..... joking aside, and i feel kinda embarrased for asking this but seriously, is there some sort of tank pad i could get?

·
Registered
364 Posts
YoungLion, I guess you have never been on a 03'RR with power commander and full Akrapovic Evo system yet. I can assure you that a 636 equipped only with a slip on pipe will not pull away from a RR (Riders being similiar in riding experience). But in saying that, im not real sure what the big deal is about a 636cc bike vs. a 599cc bike is? Lets say that suziki or yahmaha or honda produces a 666cc bike (but calls it a 600 class bike, Do you really want to compare that bike with a 636)? Anywayz lets just be fair and objective when giving opinions:).

Joeszx6RR, your gonna love your bike!!! And dude if you want it to come alive, just stick a Akrapovic, Sato, or Arata full system on your bike with power commander and your gonna be MORE than pleased with it. [}:)]

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is my theory and I hope no one with a 636 takes offense, cause that bike is awesome and its tops in the 600cc bike wars. But I love racing and supersport is my favorite, and right now Kawasaki is selling more 636's than any other 600 sportbike. So it will not be long before every other bike co. starts raising the size of thier 600 sport bikes and I think in the long run supersport racing will suffer because of bikes with bigger and different engine sizes. Kind of like whats happening in WSBK. And that my good freinds is another reason that I bought the rr. Peace;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
any word on the scortch marks on the exhaust?......ive put 423 miles on my bike in 4 days......took it to 12000 rpms in first gear when i shifted into second i thought the bike was going to flip over on top of me......holy shit this thing is way more then i expected.....you guys were right its way faster then my E, it just takes a few more revs.....joeZX6RR=very pleased :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey joe, This probly belongs in another thread but oh well. I pulled up behind two harleys todays, i was just gonna cruise with them around the loop in my town. When the light turned green, we turned onto the loop and all the sudden they WOT it. I hesitated for a minute trying to fiqure out what in the heck they were thinking:D. Well it only took me a second to decide i wasnt gonna let some big harley make us kawi guys look bad (there were some cars behind us). I was about 4500 RPMS (still in first gear) when i made my WOT show[:p]. As my bike approached 10,000RPMs my front wheel started slowly rising off the asphalt[:0], and when i hit second gear the wheel comes up again. needless to say the harley guys where in my mirror bye then. I told this story just let you know that your bike is fast enough, and when you get the rpms up, it SINGS......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.