Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm riding on the interstate for longer than 20 minutes or so, my right hand begins to go numb holding the throttle in place. This doesn't happen when I'm riding aggressively around turns and such due to the fact that my hand position is constantly changing.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm sure everyone suffers from this problem. Wear thicker gloves and/or try what I like to call "lego-gripping" the throttle which means don't squeeze the grip with your fingers; just use your palm and thumb with your fingers extended out. Only "lego-grip" when it's safe to do so, though.

Or you can simply stretch your hand out a little every now and then.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Welcome to motorcycles :D

Yea, it mainly happens on the highway because you have to keep the bike at high RPMs to sustain a high speed. It doesn't usually happen on back roads because you can keep the vibrations low by keeping RPMs low and you have chances to take your hand off the throttle. No real chance to take your hand off the throttle on the highway though.

Eventually it will start to hurt no matter what you do. On the highway I usually try to do above 80mph so that I can tuck, which relieves the pain a bit. If I desperately need a break I'll keep my fingers on the throttle but lift my wrist up a bit just to get the blood flowing again.

Like I said tho...it's gonna hurt eventually. On long trips I'll usually take frequent breaks just to relax and stretch.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Um...ALL you guys are putting way too much weight on your wrists. If you're holding the controls properly your hands don't go numb. lmao If your bike is buzzy your fingers will be tingly when you stop riding, but it shouldn't go numb.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mine used to go numb as well, especially during the first few weeks I was learning to ride. Seems to have mostly gone away now However I no longer have a death grip on the throttle now that I am more comfortable.....lol I just try to loosen my grip and wiggle my fingers every so often and it seems to have helped.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Legs, legs and yes...more legs. Grip the tank a bit more tightly with your legs and you will be astonished how much weight it takes off your wrists and hands. Also, try to be aware of your grip on the bars...it is all too easy to get into a "death grip" while riding at higher speeds, especially through traffic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with BP88 on that. On the highway try just resting your palm on the throttle (as long as traffic isn't nasty or anything). It should help and stretch out your fingers to the brake lever every now and then (uh, don't pull it though). I used to think I had a loose grip and it was just the vibration, but no, it's probably still your grip.

Edit: Btw, good luck staying relaxed if you're cruising 495/395. Don't try that out on those roads.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Um...ALL you guys are putting way too much weight on your wrists. If you're holding the controls properly your hands don't go numb. lmao If your bike is buzzy your fingers will be tingly when you stop riding, but it shouldn't go numb.
OK....buzzy is the word I was looking for....not numb :D

Even as I type this my fingers are all tingly from riding :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try resting your index and middle fingers lightly on the brake lever and holding the throttle using a very light grip with the remaining two fingers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hold the throttle like you would hold a bird. Maintain a decent amount of bend in your arms, and grip the tank well with your legs. You'll see a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I use a light grip but still get the pins and needles on my throttle hand after about an hour. I took a 200 mile ride yesterday, which was all hwy, and needed to shake my hand out frequently. A throttle lock should do the trick. Just don't ever try and use your left hand to operate the throttle. I tried that when I was a noob rider and almost wrecked.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
to be honest when i read the title of this thread i was thinking your hand was going numb for a completely different reason. man my mind is in the gutter today. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
to be honest when i read the title of this thread i was thinking your hand was going numb for a completely different reason. man my mind is in the gutter today. :lol:
My first instinct after seeing the title was to post "Can't you just use your other hand for a while?" :D Now get your mind out of the gutter and let mine float by!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Legs, legs and yes...more legs. Grip the tank a bit more tightly with your legs and you will be astonished how much weight it takes off your wrists and hands. Also, try to be aware of your grip on the bars...it is all too easy to get into a "death grip" while riding at higher speeds, especially through traffic.
:plusone::plusone: Try it, it will help a lot

·
Registered
121 Posts
my left thumb and index finder went numb as has been numb for over a month now. its just barely starting to come back but i have lil feeling and strength on the thumb. thats what i get for riding without gloves when i just got the bike. Get gear because you can get hurt without taking the bike down.

·
Registered
223 Posts
. Just don't ever try and use your left hand to operate the throttle. I tried that when I was a noob rider and almost wrecked.

LOL... I actually do it all the time during long rides. I can even go around corners. Just got to train the mind. But ya...it's VERY dangerous the first few times you try it, your hand wants to do it opposite of what you want...not a good thing in a panic situation:eek:.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I'm riding on the interstate for longer than 20 minutes or so, my right hand begins to go numb holding the throttle in place. This doesn't happen when I'm riding aggressively around turns and such due to the fact that my hand position is constantly changing.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?
ahhhh you must be a new rider... lol this happens to everyone and there mothers....So get use to it or purchase a throttle lock there you go problem solved

1 - 20 of 34 Posts