Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
so is it the vibrations or the twist from the throttle cable tension :confused:

I dont feel any noticable vibration in the handle bar at freeway speed and it doesnt happen to my left hand, so I want to blame the numbness on the throttle tension. I guess if a throttle lock solves the problem thats what it has to be... Im glad its not just me with this haha.

·
Powerhungry
37,898 Posts
Welcome to motorcycles :D

Yea, it mainly happens on the highway because you have to keep the bike at high RPMs to sustain a high speed. It doesn't usually happen on back roads because you can keep the vibrations low by keeping RPMs low and you have chances to take your hand off the throttle. No real chance to take your hand off the throttle on the highway though.

Eventually it will start to hurt no matter what you do. On the highway I usually try to do above 80mph so that I can tuck, which relieves the pain a bit. If I desperately need a break I'll keep my fingers on the throttle but lift my wrist up a bit just to get the blood flowing again.

Like I said tho...it's gonna hurt eventually. On long trips I'll usually take frequent breaks just to relax and stretch.
well..thats a bit backwards..isnt it?

on backroads...im assuming here...he means running some corners.
would usually be in a lower gear, bringing higher rpms. but...theres a point in the rpms, where as it gets higher it actually gets smoother....

i think using your stomach, legs, and back more, putting less pressure on your wrists would help. also, very light pressure on the grips/bars. dont death grip, or squeeze hard. as this will slow the blood flow, in addtion to vibrations, can cause the tingling or numbness.

you could always shift to a lower, or different gear, to change the harmonics of the engine...

N

·
0 Posts
my hand goes numb more frequently now. damn gixxers :D

Just don't ever try and use your left hand to operate the throttle. I tried that when I was a noob rider and almost wrecked.
i do that on the highway sometimes. its tricky and kinda fun to do

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i will say that the buzzy bars the 636 has def makes my hand go numb because the gixx didn't do that EVER, but i got some driven grips on the way for that :D

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Um...ALL you guys are putting way too much weight on your wrists. If you're holding the controls properly your hands don't go numb. lmao If your bike is buzzy your fingers will be tingly when you stop riding, but it shouldn't go numb.
odds are that you are using your arms to hold yourself up. but, if not, then there could be something out of sync with the motor. if there is a vibration in the right hand side of the bike, but not the left, that can be an indication that the motor is not running smoothly. typically a tb sync will help or solve the issue, since they are normally well out or spec on every bike i have ever synced, and do not come from the factory synced worth a piss to begin with. that being said, a fouled plug, or many other things may be the underlying issue.

most likley you are just putting to much weight on your arms. but if not, then look in to one of the things i suggested. any questions and you can pm me.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Um...ALL you guys are putting way too much weight on your wrists. If you're holding the controls properly your hands don't go numb. lmao If your bike is buzzy your fingers will be tingly when you stop riding, but it shouldn't go numb.
+1!!!!

Shove your balls up against the tank, squeeze that mother with your knees and hold yourself up with your stomach.

Make sure you have the balls of your feet on the pegs as well.

You'll notice a world of difference!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have the same problem but only with the first two fingers on my right hand going completely numb. If it was just a matter of putting too much weight on my wrist, wouldn't it make me constantly drift to the right, and/or affect both hands?

At first I was thinking vibration, because of other threads I have seem with people complaining about the 650 being prone to excessive vibration, but if that was the case wouldn't it affect both hands?

Next I thought was that I was squeezing too hard with my right hand, so I focused on relaxing my grip so that I have barely enough grip to control/maintain throttle position, and occasionally gripping with just thumb/palm like someone else suggested. That didn't really help though.

My next thought was that my new gloves might have been creating a pressure point in my hand/wrist somewhere that was pinching a nerve and/or restricting blood flow to those fingers, so I found an old pair of gloves that I wore comfortably with my old bike. That also didn't help. The old gloves were more comfortable because they fit better and are well worn/broken in, but the same two fingers went numb again.

I still have another old pair of cold weather gloves that I wore when riding my 500, so I will try those next to see if maybe thicker gloves help. In the mean time, anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the same problem but only with the first two fingers on my right hand going completely numb. If it was just a matter of putting too much weight on my wrist, wouldn't it make me constantly drift to the right, and/or affect both hands?

At first I was thinking vibration, because of other threads I have seem with people complaining about the 650 being prone to excessive vibration, but if that was the case wouldn't it affect both hands?

Next I thought was that I was squeezing too hard with my right hand, so I focused on relaxing my grip so that I have barely enough grip to control/maintain throttle position, and occasionally gripping with just thumb/palm like someone else suggested. That didn't really help though.

My next thought was that my new gloves might have been creating a pressure point in my hand/wrist somewhere that was pinching a nerve and/or restricting blood flow to those fingers, so I found an old pair of gloves that I wore comfortably with my old bike. That also didn't help. The old gloves were more comfortable because they fit better and are well worn/broken in, but the same two fingers went numb again.

I still have another old pair of cold weather gloves that I wore when riding my 500, so I will try those next to see if maybe thicker gloves help. In the mean time, anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?
This is what I use and it seems to help - https://www.kapscomoto.com/ca/unive...uise-control-assist-rocker-cramp-stopper.html

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
Wow. I thought, "Look at all these people! It's a reunion in here!"...

Then I noticed the thread was revived from nearly 10 years ago!

I think a lot of this usually is a due to:
1) Putting too much weight on your hands
2) Not changing things up. Sitting in one position for an extended period of time is going to cause some sort of numbness. On freeway rides, keeping moving around periodically helps
3) New riders tend to grip the hell out of things and that causes cramping and numbness.

Like a lot of things, combating the "problem" with thicker gloves and equipment might really be just masking a bigger problem instead of addressing the actual problem.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Ya, I did a search for numb hands to find an existing thread instead of starting a duplicate thread. I didn't look at the dates on the original posts.

I tried thicker gloves, and that helped a little, but even in stop and go traffic my fingers still go numb, but only on my right hand.

Reactions: VeX

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I'm riding on the interstate for longer than 20 minutes or so, my right hand begins to go numb holding the throttle in Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin place. This doesn't happen when I'm riding aggressively around turns and such due to the fact that my hand position is constantly changing.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?
I no longer have a death grip on the throttle now that I am more comfortable.....lol I just try to loosen my grip and wiggle my fingers every so often and it seems to have helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Less grip on the throttle, are you getting arm pump buddy, sounds like you need to relax a little...

Other issues would be vibration through the bike so I'd be looking to service the bike, carb balance/shims etc...

What bike buddy ?...

Ps, late to the party as usual, ignore me... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I'm riding on the interstate for longer than 20 minutes or so, my right hand begins to go numb holding the throttle in place. This doesn't happen when I'm riding aggressively around turns and such due to the fact that my hand position is constantly changing.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve the issue?
i'll be looking into one of those univeral cruise control systems soon

21 - 34 of 34 Posts