Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this today in Firenze (Florence).

The label inside states "Not legal for public use in North America." Good thing I live in Italy now. LOL.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
that's a "posing" helmet

crap, now I'm hungry for pizza

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
very nice looking. very stylish. i can imagine someone sporting that on a vespa with goggles. (not trying to be sarcastic or mean or anything its just what i picture people in Italy riding and wearing. :) )

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

you have a selection of nice helmets there, what made you buy that thing? looks a little scooterish to me!?
I wanted a Momo scooter helmet for the past few months now. This was so much more pimp since the hand made hats they sell costs up to $850.

I wanted some Italian style as I rode around my town on my F4i streetfighter terrorizing others in Vespa's. I'm still in the hunt for a original vespa, those things are $$$$.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a really good looking helmet, and considering I am from Italy I am wondering why it wouldn't be legal in North America!! Anyone knows?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
That's a really good looking helmet, and considering I am from Italy I am wondering why it wouldn't be legal in North America!! Anyone knows?
If it's hand-made, then it's made in very small numbers. The DOT in America requires a bunch of helmets be given to them so they can do their own impact testing on them. If it's a small hand-made operation it just wouldn't make financial sense to give away so many helmets just to get DOT approval, since they probably wouldn't sell many in the US anyway. So that makes it not legal in the US. At least, not on public roadways in states that require DOT-approved helmets. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Now that is cool you got yourself a handmade helmet but if your in the US military don't you still have to wear gear to the military standards...even though your in a different country? I am pretty sure all US military require you to wear a "DOT" approved helmet. Besidea...whats to say that "hand made' helmet would even protect your head against a bottle of beer, let alone a 80 mph highside......or even a trip and fall while walking to your bike.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The helmets still complies to ECE22.05 standards. (Which can arguably be better than D.O.T.) But remember it's still classified as an open-face helmet, just like my MOMODesign Devil Helmet's. (Also, if you compare an X-11 Shoei to the X-Spirit Shoei, you will notice that the X-Spirit is the ECE approved helmet weighs less and is approved for MOTO-GP but the DOT X-11 is not.........hum...but the X-Spirit is not approved for D.O.T. use but both are Snell approved)

But NewMAX Safety Fashion makes gorgeous hand-made helmets. (They make Ferrari's Scooter Helmets, MomoDesign Helmets, Laura Smith Helmets, Borsalino Helmets, Moschino Helmets and the infamous Cromwell helmets.)

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Sorry man ... but I don't like it. That fabric they have sewn below the ear pieces looks like it was taken from one of my Grandpa's old suits. :rolleyes: Definately not for me or my Ninja! :D

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Now that is cool you got yourself a handmade helmet but if your in the US military don't you still have to wear gear to the military standards...even though your in a different country? I am pretty sure all US military require you to wear a "DOT" approved helmet. Besidea...whats to say that "hand made' helmet would even protect your head against a bottle of beer, let alone a 80 mph highside......or even a trip and fall while walking to your bike.
Just the opposite here in the UK....we can't wear DOT approved helmets. They have to be approved by the British equivalent.

I wear my American-made Shoei anyway. I'm not spending 300 pounds on a new helmet....the E-2 at the gate doesn't know the difference anyway.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
The helmets still complies to ECE22.05 standards. (Which can arguably be better than D.O.T.)
IIRC the ECE testing includes abrasion and repeated impact tests. It's by far a much more realistic real-world standard than the crappy DOT test.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

My lovely Italian GF bought me a 71 Vespa 50, 3 speed, for Christmas. It came with the original registration form Florence. Too bad I go for training and deploy for the next 8 months. I just picked her up tonight.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
lol that's awesome man

Here I thought I had adapted very well to my new country (the UK) but you definitely got me beat. You could almost pass for a genuine Italian at this point :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have enough "real" helmets.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hahahhah... I liked this! Why?
Trust me, we have our own problems and flaws here!! ;-)
No shit just because it's "Exotic" doesnt mean it's the best place to live. I cant wait to get my ass back to the states-The only upside is the lack of inforcing of speed limits...(and it's easier to get away) as far as Italian helmets go-I would check out ASV-That has to be the best brand I've ever seen

1 - 20 of 39 Posts