Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i took the bike out for it's first spin down the road and i noticed the handle bars were a little bit crooked. is that an easy fix to line it up again? if so what's the process?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Kick the front wheel to one side. :D

Seriously.

The forks are probably twisted in the triple clamps. All you have to do is untwist them. You can either loosen the triple clamps (whilst supporting the front end of the bike) and untwist them (which is the better way to do it), or you can just give the front wheel a good kick to one side (whichever way it needs to go). It's just like straightening the steering on a bicycle, except a bit more heavy duty.

Edit: When I say "kick the front wheel to one side", I mean " Turn the steering to full lock left, and then kick the front wheel further left, or turn the steering to full right, and then kick the front wheel further right".

Don't bother kicking it when it's pointing straight ahead, 'cause that won't do anything useful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't kick the front wheel. I had the same problem with my bike I bought slightly used. Take off the upper fairing and loosen the lower triple clamp bolts and then hand tighten them. Then crack the steering stem nut, the big one in the middle of the top triple, just crack it so that it isn't tight anymore. Then you can do as J.A.F.O. said and basically "kick" the front wheel. I stood with my feet on either side of the front wheel and twisted the bars in the direction I wanted them to go. After they slipped a little, I sat on the bike to make sure they were straight and then tightened the steering stem nut to its proper torque and then the lower triple clamp bolts to their proper torque. Just make sure you tighten the steering stem nut first, what you are basically doing is allowing the upper triple to move opposite the direction your bars are crooked, and if you tighten the lower triple clamp bolts first, you could mess up your fork tubes by putting a compressive force between the upper and lower triples when you tighten the steering stem nut.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks futurgen55... i got a chance to work on it tonight and i used your method, it was totally fixed in less than 5 minutes, and it is perfectly aligned. I'm going over to a friend's house tomorrow to fix their gixxer1 with the same problem :) a few people were telling me there was no way it was going to work, so i really appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by selfinfliction
thanks futurgen55... i got a chance to work on it tonight and i used your method, it was totally fixed in less than 5 minutes, and it is perfectly aligned. I'm going over to a friend's house tomorrow to fix their gixxer1 with the same problem :) a few people were telling me there was no way it was going to work, so i really appreciate the tip.
Now you'll be the hero :D

i have a similar question. My right handlebar touches the thank on full lock. I have the locking tabs in place so I believe it's bent handlebars (due to the previous owner dropping it). Any suggestions on how to bend the bar back? I asked a dealership, needless to say, hea said it's very hard to do it, and I should order a new handlebar.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm glad I could help.

As for your problem ozanbacak, my bars are kind of the same way, only they don't touch the tank. One will be closer to the tank than the other when all the way to lock. I don't understand what they mean when they say to order new bars, mine are clipons, if yours are too I'm not sure how you would really bend them. Maybe when it was dropped, the clipon rotated on the fork tube. You might try loosening up the clipon and rotating it away from the tank until it doesn't hit anymore. You'll then have to do the same thing on the other side to keep your bars symmetrical. I'm not really sure what the stock angle is for the clipons, but yours might have just been rotated due to rider preference.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I tried lossening the clip-on retining bolts, but couldn't move the bar. I noticed that there is another bolt holding it down. As per the manual, in order to get that bolt off, I need to take the upper triple clamp off, for which I did not have the right socket and enough time to do. Do you kow an easy way to remove that screw?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I just got this bike about a month ago, haven't had a real good chance to look everything over. I missed the handlebar positioning bolt, that's the one that actually sets the angle for the bars. Anyway, the bright side is that if you do have to order a part, you only need to order the bar, the black piece that clamps on the fork tubes is the handlebar holder which shouldn't be bent, and doesn't have to be removed to replace the bar. That also means that the top triple doesn't need to be removed either, so you really don't even have to have a front stand to do the job. Before you go to the dealership, I would check some aftermarket suppliers and maybe even a salvage yard or two for a right handlebar. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
812 Posts
thanks... actually if that bolt is in fact the positioning bolt, I'll try to adjust it from there first. Maybe I won't even have to order a new bar. Thanks for the help.

Ozan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.