Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I searched the forum and came up blank on this , so here goes ...

I have a friend (fellow rider, but he rides a Katana), who says that left hand low handshake is universal REGARDLESS of the other person's bike. Kawasaki, Yamaha, Harley or even mopeds, he puts out the hand in greeting, as long as it has a motor. No bicycles he says.

What I want to know, from more experienced riders (since I'm a 40 year old Newbie) ... Is this the right thing to do ???

What do you do? Or is there more to it and I'm missing out? :confused:

Alan

First Post !

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, it's pretty universal, I waved at a scooter today...guy didn't wave back, but I think it's because he was in shock...lol.
The most common not to wave back (Im on a Ninja) are the Harley guys. I'm with your friend tho, if it has a motor, I'll wave.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I wave to anyone dumb enough to get up on two wheels (motorized).
Lots of people will exclude scooters...and some exclude squids.

BTW, I like that the fact that your first post is about the low wave! :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i have a strict porlicy against waving at scooters. they get no love from me. one time i did it on accident i was pretty mad at myself especially cuz he didnt wave back. made me feel like a huge loser. but other than scooters ill wave at anybody, most of the time i dont do it when im on the highway though.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Everything but mopeds and Goldwings. Goldwings never wave back. Too busy playing with all of the buttons.

jk, I wave to Goldwings.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
I just wave, I don't worry about the "style points" of all those posers that stick their arms out at the exact precise angle, with the index and middle finger out and the thumb out and opposed, like making an 'L' shape. lol When I first started riding I was so paranoid about it, but the bottom line is that in some / most situations that's just what's most comfortable to do. But a wave is a wave. Usually I'll raise my hand up instead of down, now. They're in the brotherhood, why not give them a REAL wave instead of just being cool about it?;):D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hahaha. Do you notice that you only get the 'handshake' from certain riders? Like it depends on what I'm wearing, where I'm at, time of day, ya know? Like normally I don't wear leathers for around town, I KNOW I"M A SQUID, and I don't seem to get a hand shake that often. Except from people with nothing. Not even a helmet. I always wear one btw. But today, I was completely geared up, and I was hitting it pretty hard in the canyon and I could keep my hand down for all the signs! Lol. Is that just me? Or maybe, I just need to wear my leathers all the time.

EDIT! I just read the first 5 posts. I'm an idiot.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
+1 on the Hello Kitty wave

i was totally going to say that, but you beat me to it. That's my new "squid wave" though :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do the two fingers out, and I usually get the same thing back. I don't really get waves, but I've been flipped off by a harley once, so I don't wave at them anymore. :cool:

+1 on the YeaYeaYeaYeaYea Wave. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wave to anything with a single headlight unless it's a scooter. Waved at a few cars with a headlight out too. Don't wave to scooters cause it's just cruel, they try and wave back and their little 8 inch wheel starts to headshake and they look like they're gonna crash.

T

·
Registered
612 Posts
I totally thought he was going to eat shit on that Hello YEAAYEAYEA kitty wave... LMFAO!
Funny how many people don't wave to scooters.... Last uyear I got a lot of funny looks when I would wave to bigger bikes while riding my 49rr super scooter! Dude, that kid just had some seriouse tank slappin while trying to wave... LOL!
By the way, I always wave to what ever on 2 wheels and a motor... once even waved to a 3 wheeler... (Spyder)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
In all my travels I've only had two scooters wave to me with only one initiating the wave. I don't initiate waves with scooters anymore because they apparently don't know what I'm doing so why waste effort. Most crotch rockets around here stick the hand out to the left so I do it that way when waving to them. Cruisers use a mix of all different ways and often do long distance (divided by a center median and a lane or two) up high straight out flat palm face down or forward waves. I never have seen a crotch rocket even attempt to wave from such a distance. Cruisers, most notably harleys, will also put out a hand down low with either an open palm or two fingers pointed at the ground. Which wave I do depends on mood, who I'm waving to, and if they are far from me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
first off, YEA, YEAH, YEAHHHHH :Laughing rolling:

second, i usually get motorcyclist giving me the peace sign. veryy friendly.:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyone who has posted ... and to those who will post later :)

That hello kitty wave cracked me up! That guy's nuts :Laughing rolling:

I think I'll wave to anyone with a motor , and hope they take it as a greeting ...
the fewer fingers I get thrown at me the better ... but I can deal with it. I get kidded alot at work anyways because I'm the only guy in my shop who rides a Ninja, everyone else is a Harley man.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
162 Posts
An old noob, cool. I have been riding for 19 years, but just got back on at 50 with a Green Ninja 636 and full gear two years ago. I wave to two wheels, sometimes a group of Harleys comes by and some wave and some don't. Once got flipped off by a yuppie on a Harley when I passed him (legally) as he was holding up traffic.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts