Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ZX6R for a little over a months now and it having a big problem starting in the morning or after it sit for awhile.

In the morning at around 60 degree, it does not want to start at all. It'll crank and crank but wont fire. i have to crank it for AWHILE for it to run

I've tried putting the choke in every position possible with the same result.

As for the fuel switch, if i park the bike overnight. Do i turn the fuel switch to off or do i leave it on On?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You only turn the fuel off for storing your bike. (like all winter long)

AS for the hard start i myself am having a problem to now with starting. you are probably going to have to put apart your carbs and look for dirty jets. I just put a factory pro jet kit in with 132.5, 135 main jet sizes (as instructions state) and i am having a horrid time cranking her up. I am thinking i am to lean. Anyone want to chime in?

EDIT: Wow i didnt see the original thread date. Sorry to bring up a dead thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just installed the Ivans kit and ended up with one of my float valves not closing properly. Flooded the carbs and dumped fuel into the crank case (hence a good idea to turn the fuel off when you turn the bike off). This obviously made the bike run really poorly.

I went in cleaned up the seats and the valve o-rings and adjusted the float height - the latter is a big factor in making the bike run sweetly.

You may also want to check your pilot jets as they may be blocked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its a little difficult to say as I understand some of the jetting companies use different standards when it comes to labeling jet sizes, based on what I have read on the forum. I'm not sure how Factory Pros compare to OEM.

The Ivans main jets are all the same size and are visibly smaller than stock, the latter being too rich.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Do you know how long its been since a valve adjustment?
The carb ??s & answers are all legitimate, But out of adjustment valves can cause hard starts.
Once its cranked do you hear the valves? There much louder when could.
After its warm they should be fairly quiet. Use the screwdriver method to listen to em.
How does it run after its warmed up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
As of right now i usually have to give her a little blip of the throttle to get her going. Using the choke just makes her die after she warms up a little. Prior to the jetting change she needed the choke to even start when she was cold. I just had the valves adjusted like 1k miles ago in September. So i know that the valves are within specs.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
^ Yeah sounds like a carb issue then.
May need to pull em back apart. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would take 10 secs to check the oil level hasn't risen. If its a stuck float valve, it could dump fuel into the crank case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts