Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take very sharp corners it starts to feel like I'm riding over lots of very small bumps. What could cause this? am I starting to lose traction?

Checking my rear tire there is still about 1/6th of an inch of 'virgin' rubber left on the sides. I've been scraping my toe sliders a bit so I'm starting to think I'm near the max cornering capabilities of the bike/tire (at least without leaning off the bike)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Few questions:

What do you ride?
Your weight?
Foot position on pegs?
Body position?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Interesting, I would think that if you were dragging your toe there wouldn't be any chicken strips on the tires. Is the bike lowered?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Registered
308 Posts
When I take very sharp corners it starts to feel like I'm riding over lots of very small bumps. What could cause this? am I starting to lose traction?

Checking my rear tire there is still about 1/6th of an inch of 'virgin' rubber left on the sides. I've been scraping my toe sliders a bit so I'm starting to think I'm near the max cornering capabilities of the bike/tire (at least without leaning off the bike)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
My Dear Friend 1.6 for the tires is the minimum I think u need tires but most important is if the bike is used and not new it could be a bent frame or the Handel bars it is 100% one of these three ( 3 ) things
Good Luck

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Ninja 250
tips of my toes touch break/shifter back of my feet are touching the frame
body position is pretty high, ass in the middle of the seat, not riding the tank but also not touching the cowl cushion.
im going to assume you experience this on the track

what do you mean "toes touch brake/shifter"?
like they are over, under, beside them?

put your toes on the PEGS and not on the shifter/brake pedal
what tires are you running on?
do you experience the "bumpy" feeling any other time besides extremely leaned over?

my thoughts:
you're pushing the tire too much, if its not a grippy track oriented tire
shock isnt set up for your weight and riding style
throttle isnt steady

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
If you're scraping your toes but don't have the rear tire scrubbed all the way to the edge, then this leads me to believe you're running a fatter rear tire on that wheel than what's designed. Am I right?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, I would think that if you were dragging your toe there wouldn't be any chicken strips on the tires. Is the bike lowered?
Nope, completely stock.

im going to assume you experience this on the track

what do you mean "toes touch brake/shifter"?
like they are over, under, beside them?

put your toes on the PEGS and not on the shifter/brake pedal
what tires are you running on?
do you experience the "bumpy" feeling any other time besides extremely leaned over?

my thoughts:
you're pushing the tire too much, if its not a grippy track oriented tire
shock isnt set up for your weight and riding style
throttle isnt steady
No track, I ride on a small mountain every other day, lots of very sharp corners. My feet are always on the pegs (of course) The tips of my shoes touch both the shifter and brake, not over or under them... Tires are stock (bike only has 1200 miles on it). I don't get the "bumpy" feeling anywhere else, unless i'm going over bumps... Is the shock fairly easy to adjust? and I keep the throttle very steady during cornering.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
Nope, completely stock.

No track, I ride on a small mountain every other day, lots of very sharp corners. My feet are always on the pegs (of course) The tips of my shoes touch both the shifter and brake, not over or under them... Tires are stock (bike only has 1200 miles on it). I don't get the "bumpy" feeling anywhere else, unless i'm going over bumps... Is the shock fairly easy to adjust? and I keep the throttle very steady during cornering.
you're dragging your toes because your feet aren't position properly on the pegs, not because you're reaching near max lean angles :Laughing rolling:

balls/toes on the pegs, not arches.

· Registered
641 Posts
I am thinking your suspension is not set up for your weight, bro. You need your suspension dialed in. Or one of your forks is leaking and not working properly.

I know the exact feeling of bumps you're talking about. I had that on my bike when my right fork started to leak. I've fixed that and dialed in my suspension again and here I am back to nice and smooth.

Hope this helps, man.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
you're dragging your toes because your feet aren't position properly on the pegs, not because you're reaching near max lean angles :Laughing rolling:

balls/toes on the pegs, not arches.
exactly. Some people are so high up they actually hit the swing arm with the backs of their boots.

-Cody

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Nope, completely stock.

others already commented on foot position being not optimal
so thats why you toes are scraping

the stock IRC road winners arent that good, many do not recommend hard leaning due to grip, though some still run them hard
could be slipping, but i think you would notice that if it were

the stock 250r shock can only be adjusted for preload/sag
no compression or rebound - i think its rated for 130-140 lb riders
since this isnt fine tuned to your weight and riding style, the shock could be bobbing up and down, thus the bumpy feeling

· Registered
5,994 Posts
I would replace the tires first, then heavier fork oil and/or stiffer front springs for your weight. Here is part of an article that I posted earlier:

from a longer article by Steve Atlas

I’ve raced a lot of motorcycles in my time. From Motocross to Supermoto, from 1000cc Superstock to 750cc Supersport, from SV650 lightweights to the Daytona 200; all very different, but all great experiences. I thought I pretty much had the road racing thing covered. Not quite. Recently I opened a new chapter in my career: Kawasaki Ninja 250 Cup racing. And what a chapter it turned out to be!

Little did I know it would go down as one of the most fun, not to mention the closest race of my life. Who knew?

Talk about taking some time to get used to. Due to the lazy riding position it was hard to get an idea of the levels of grip provided by the thin rubber, which due to the un-typical-sized rims is relegated to street-based Bridgestone BT016s and BT003s. Even so, the levels of grip are utterly outstanding. With the motorcycle's light weight and lack of stress from the low-horsepower engine, the road-type rubber sticks like glue. Wiggly and strange glue. But glue nonetheless.

I was quickly dragging the bodywork on the ground due to the mind-bending lean angles achievable with the mini-racer. My pace was within a couple seconds of the top guys by the end of my first session on the bike, so I instantly knew a win was in sight. In fact, coming from an AMA Pro Racing and motojournalism background, anything less would be considered a failure in my mind.

I could see the line and Wes wasn’t in my peripheral at all. The win was in sight! But with about 100 feet to go I felt a heavy tap on my left arm. That was quickly followed by Totsubo’s knee pushing up against mine and then our bars touching just as we crossed the line. The clever little racer had rolled the dice and stayed wide! With literally inches of pavement he almost took out the flagger but was able to pull up beside me at the line, the two of us crossing in a dead photo finish, bouncing off each other and trading paint like Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick in the Daytona 500. I think Wes even put a wheel or two in the gravel for a short time. I must say, that took some serious balls risking life and limb to try and win a club race. The man is dedicated.

Never in my life have I been part of such a close finish. As we sat up and looked at each other after crossing the line we both shrugged, no one knowing who won. We both gave each other a thumbs up for an awesome race and coasted back into the pits, still not aware who the victor was. In fact, it wasn’t until the results were posted that evening either of us knew. The Kawasaki guys said I had it, Wes’ crew said he did. Way too close to call. Unfortunately for us, WSMC gave the win to Totsubo. But considering the closeness and fun we had, I can live with that.

Who knew racing a 25-horsepower entry-level Ninja 250 in nearly stock form would prove to be one of the most thrilling and fun races of my life? What a day! Though I must say, I do want revenge. I think a rematch is surely in the cards…

· Registered
308 Posts
??????

Rob
My thoughts as well....
I Don't Mean to Confuse any one and i am not a mechanic But this is what the Book says if u have a bent frame or if u hit a hard object going down the road with ur front tire or if the tread on the tire is Less then 1.6mm one of these will cause Bumpy and an unsmooth rid down the road

· Registered
297 Posts
Step 1: Cut a hole in a box.
Step 2: Body position
Step 3: Suspension dialing.

I wouldn't touch the forks until you start experiencing massive dive when you start riding that much harder. If you mess with the springs, you'll have to upgrade the rear.

But this is what the Book says if u have a bent frame or if u hit a hard object going down the road with ur front tire or if the tread on the tire is Less then 1.6mm one of these will cause Bumpy and an unsmooth rid down the road
That wasn't the problem. Most of us couldn't decode your original sentence.

My Dear Friend 1.6 for the tires is the minimum I think u need tires but most important is if the bike is used and not new it could be a bent frame or the Handel bars it is 100% one of these three ( 3 ) things
Good Luck

· Registered
5,288 Posts
I Don't Mean to Confuse any one and i am not a mechanic But this is what the Book says if u have a bent frame or if u hit a hard object going down the road with ur front tire or if the tread on the tire is Less then 1.6mm one of these will cause Bumpy and an unsmooth rid down the road
Gotcha - but nothing in the post implied that the tyre was worn or that there was an history of events that might have caused damage.

The book is bit misleading. Those things will create handling or braking difficulties (the latter for a smooth front tyre) but what the OP is asking about is a little different.

My own guess is that little bumps when leaned over but not in a straight line (which is what I think the OP meant), is more likey to be a tyre issue than a suspension issue maybe too high tyre pressures? - or just maybe swinging arm or head stem bearings although that's probably not very likely - it sounds like a newish bike.

As the OP is inexperienced on the bike, it's also possible that it's pattering over a poor surface because of excessive suspension preload. He'd feel that on the straights as well, but if the straights are short he might not notice it so much. At slower speeds in tight curves my Street Triple feeds every detail of the surface directly to the base of my spine - just the way it should.

Last thought. The OP keeps the throttle very steady during cornering. That's fine and on the street it's often necessary to maintain constant speeds, but the bike will feel more solid and planted if it's under a measure of acceleration through the curve, even if the acceleration isn't very much.

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.