Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a pretty moderate/hard day of riding in the canyons today. When i came to a stop the bike got extremly hot....is this normal? it started blinking High High. Do you guys get that when you ride the bike hard?
 
G

·
hmmm,,i dont think thats normal even on a really hot day. its never happened to me and i've ridden hard in 90+ weather.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there were alot of cars today and my rpm's stayed really high. i would get caught behind the cagers alot. still not normal? maybe its time for a coolant flush. WaterWetter!!

also our fans turn off when we shut off the motor right? my r6's fan stayed on if i used the engine shutoff switch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
the fan on my 03 will run for like 10-15 seconds after it's shut off and then it stops.. what kind of temps were you running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by caz
the fan on my 03 will run for like 10-15 seconds after it's shut off and then it stops.. what kind of temps were you running?
well after 250 it just blinks HIGH, HIGH, HIGH. i let it sit for a few minutes and started it up and it cooled down, not by much though. i kept repeating that til it was down to like 220. it was at about 230ish when i stopped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
I don't think that's normal. I've never really beaten on my bike constantly (like a track day,) but I've run the piss out of it for a long time in ~100° weather, and I've never seen over 220° on the guage. Maybe you should make sure your coolant level is up where it should be for starters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
And if there were a lot of cars that you got stuck behind, why did your rpms stay high? If you get stuck behind a cage, go ahead and drop to a high gear to let the bike rest/cool. No sense sitting on someone's ass in 2nd turning 10k rpms sustained when you can stick it in 6th turning 4k. Just go back down to 2nd when it's time to get around them. Unless you were only getting stuck behind them for a few seconds at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Dang, I don't think mines ever gotten much above 225 and that was when stuck sitting in traffic idling in 90+ and high humidity...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by calen636
Dang, I don't think mines ever gotten much above 225 and that was when stuck sitting in traffic idling in 90+ and high humidity...
Ditto... 228 I think was the highest I've seen. 100F weather and stop and go traffic.
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
44,978 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
I don't think that's normal. I've never really beaten on my bike constantly (like a track day,) but I've run the piss out of it for a long time in ~100° weather, and I've never seen over 220° on the guage. Maybe you should make sure your coolant level is up where it should be for starters.
+1 on the above. I've done track days in 100* heat which means 110* on the track, running very high RPMs and never had a problem. Don't even think I hit 220*. Check your coolant resevoir. Also, check your hoses. I've heard many people have found loose hoses and were leaking coolant because of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Well, actually it's very normal for it to heat up.

You've been running the motor hard, it's super heated now....what happens when you suddenly stop the airflow over the radiator? The very hot block transfers more heat to coolant, temp goes up....

Sounds like its time for a coolant flush though.
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
44,978 Posts
Originally posted by Kalvin00
Well, actually it's very normal for it to heat up.

You've been running the motor hard, it's super heated now....what happens when you suddenly stop the airflow over the radiator? The very hot block transfers more heat to coolant, temp goes up....

Sounds like its time for a coolant flush though.
Of course it's normal for it to "heat up" but in no way is it "normal" for it to get above 250* and blink. If that was normal, it wouldn't blink. A simple coolant flush won't help much if he has a leak. The original poster has an '06 so the coolant should not need flushed at this stage.
1) The dealer or who ever assembled the bike and filled the fluids didn't do it properly.

2) You are losing coolant and you need to find out from where. It's probably just a loose hose clamp or something else minor. You have an '06 so find out now WHY you are running at 250* and blinking.

3) You said you were running at high RPMs while being stuck behind traffic??? As someone else said, shift up and bring the RPMs down until you need them to accelerate passed the traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was stuck behind them like a few seconds at a time, but there were alot of cars and i kept the rpm's high because i was trying to pass them(some of them being ass's and making it hard for me to pass) makes me kinda worried though. ive taken it to other canyons but didnt run it as hard.
 

·
Powerhungry
Joined
·
38,157 Posts
ok i just went for a short ride in town. it was proabably 65 ambient temp. and mine kept climbing over 200. then it would quickly cool down over 30 degrees.
watch your temp, it it climbs high quickly, and also cools quickly, its probably the thermostat sticking.
i ordered a new one today.
im positive mine is sticking, yours may be too.
 

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
Joined
·
44,978 Posts
Originally posted by stryder420
I was stuck behind them like a few seconds at a time, but there were alot of cars and i kept the rpm's high because i was trying to pass them(some of them being ass's and making it hard for me to pass) makes me kinda worried though. ive taken it to other canyons but didnt run it as hard.
I went back over this thread and if I missed it, I apologize but I didn't see anywhere if you checked your coolant level (as suggested by BrandonM7) in the resevoir when the enging is cold? Or hell, even hot for that matter. Is there coolant showing in your resevoir?? If not, there's your answer or at least an indication of where to look next. (Hoses, clamps, etc.). Check that before you do anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
i get that some here in dallas. but i ride in a lot of 100+ and 105+ weather.
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top