Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is an 04 6RR. Fires up immediately when cold. However after you ride around for a bit and everything gets up to temp it doesn't want to start. You can crank and crank and usually it will go eventually. Otherwise I've just been opening the throttle some and it will fire up not too bad. Dealer says this is because of a vapour-lock type condition on these bikes and that they all do it. However, I know from snowmobiles that it's usually a symptom of worn rings. Bike has just over 25k kilomters, and has been doing this for almost as long as I can remember. I do not recall it doing it when new.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not a normal issue. Vapor lock sounds like a real possibility though. Perhaps try heat wrapping some of the fuel lines, or making sure they're not too close to hot engine parts?

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
leaking injectors?
causing a "flooded" type situation. u did say opening the throttle helped a little.
it not normal. mine doesnt do it after 15k miles. in fact if fires up very quickly. qicker, warm i beleive

·
Registered
374 Posts
sounds like a valve has tightened up and is sticking open a bit when the engine is hot killing your compression. whens the last time the valve clearance was checked?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike was just in at dealer at just under 24k for the checkup and first valve adjustment. They said they were pretty much all good still, but I didn't think to ask if that meant they adjusted any or left them alone. I know it's doing the same thing as before, only after the checkup they also had my chain so tight you could barely move it and the throttle cables also very tight, no freeplay whatsoever. And to top it off, once again they could not seem to figure out how to put the fairings back on properly:(
I know one thing, this dealer came fairly highly recommended, but I think next time around I'll be trying elsewhere. I've been less than impressed so far (with the service end anyways)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unless your one of the lucky ones.....most of these techs out there are not really too reliable....the valve adjustments on these things is pretty time consuming and tedious.....lots of measurements if your going to do it right......i personaly had a freakin terrible experience with our service department at the local dealer and refuse to let anyone touch it now.....got a manual and i will continue to do my own work.....anyway enough with my rant.....does the starter drag at all when it is warm?....possibly weak battery or bad ground, wiring?.....compression?....Mine recently went wacko when it warmed up and all turned out to be the CDI was cutting spark to the coils when it got hot (internal short...nothing to do with exhaust).....that was a verrrry frustrating ordeal but i learned ALOT about this bike in the process...one tool that i have always loved is a leakdown tester....gives you a much better idea of the engine condition and can help to pinpoint where your compression may be going...just a thought...good luck man

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what you mean by starter dragging...it only cranks when the button is pressed, no delay when you release it if thats what you meant. The battery should be fine, the bike is run often, and not just a bunch of short trips, usually decent rides when I get out. I also have a Battery Tender that I hook up if it's gonna sit for any amount of time.
As for bad wiring or the likes, I've never had a problem with any electrical components or had the battery go dead from sitting, so I don't think my problem lies there.
As much as I don't want to think it, I just keep coming back to compression loss.
As for the valve adjustment, it was charged out as 3 hours labour. I'm not sure if that's about right for time or not.
Anyways, the dealer is supposed to be getting back to me to see what they can do, so we'll see.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still haven't heard from my dealer, but I stopped at another today.
The explanation they gave was along the same lines. After riding for awhile everything gets heatsoaked. When you stop the heat allows the fuel in the injectors to boil, which creates a slight flooding situation somehow. Then 5 or 10 minutes later when you try to start it you will run into this type of scenario.
That make sense to you guys? For 2 seperate dealers to both say the same thing, without me telling this one the explanation the other dealer gave, seems like too much of a coincidence. Maybe this isn't a big deal afterall...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just because you havent had a problem in the past doesnt mean that there couldnt be one now....and if you have good compression when its warm....then getting it warmer should only lead to better compression....things grow with heat not shrink. Its funny how people want to eliminate things just because they dont want to look into it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
or....maybe you might want to check the float level seeing as a motor will start cold easier with more fuel.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gooey, it's not that I don't want to fix it...
As I see/understand it here are my options:
1) Take it to the dealer, they can check this, that and the next thing, at $75/hr and MAYBE find something, or else not
2) Accept the explanation given by 2 dealers and just ride the thing until it breaks down (if it does)
3) Start digging into it myself and possibly end up fucking it worse than it could ever get on its own, because basically I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to bikes
So as of this moment, I guess I accept option #2 and hope for the best. It runs flawlessly other than this one thing. If it gets worse, I'll deal with it I guess but I'm kinda stuck[:M57]
On the bright side, the dealer knows about it, is supposed to check into it further and I have warranty until 2009 so it's not all bad.

*edit*
I'm also not sure what you mean by float?? It's fuel injected if you were referring to a carburetor float...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.