Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after i got back from AT my roomate lost my keys, and they were the only set. Is there a way to get a key made or would i have to change the whole ignition.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
normally if you dont have that little tage or SN# form your key your screwed, as many people have found out, it is not like GM where a VIN gets you a key made.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you can get it in a truck or on a trailer, take it to a locksmith and they can make you a key in no time. I have had to do this myself and it took him all of 10 minutes to make me three keys that fit my switches and locks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you just pull off the upper triple and unplug the ignition and take it in to the local lock smith they can cut u a key... here it only cost around 12 bucks but mot sure in your neck of the woods.. i have done it several times

·
Neutered
9,683 Posts
For one thing, I don't know what kind of shady crap some of you guys are into, but around these parts to get a key cut from the ignition by a locksmith it costs about $120, not $12, and they have to verify that the ignition you're cutting the key to belongs to a vehicle that has a vin number that you have the title to.

When the bike is new it comes with a little metal plate on the keyring with a number on it. There's only so many different locksets that Kawasaki uses (I think the ratio was something like on a normal production run your key will start and fully operate 10 other same make/model bikes somewhere in the world), and that tag has the code the dealers use to cut a new key. With that tag, it's a matter of like 30 seconds and a $9 key blank. I have no idea why someone would NOT safeguard that thing with their life, but you'd be surprised how many idiots just toss it in a drawer somewhere or something, or just plain have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
For one thing, I don't know what kind of shady crap some of you guys are into, but around these parts to get a key cut from the ignition by a locksmith it costs about $120, not $12, and they have to verify that the ignition you're cutting the key to belongs to a vehicle that has a vin number that you have the title to.

When the bike is new it comes with a little metal plate on the keyring with a number on it. There's only so many different locksets that Kawasaki uses (I think the ratio was something like on a normal production run your key will start and fully operate 10 other same make/model bikes somewhere in the world), and that tag has the code the dealers use to cut a new key. With that tag, it's a matter of like 30 seconds and a $9 key blank. I have no idea why someone would NOT safeguard that thing with their life, but you'd be surprised how many idiots just toss it in a drawer somewhere or something, or just plain have no idea what it is.
:plusone: i'm in pretty good w/a locksmith & usually if they don't see the registration or title to the vehicle they won't do a damn thing with it. & i'd like to know where you get that done for $12 :headscratch: because that shit like said above is like $120 or even more at times, looks like on the next set you need one of the whistle key chain finders ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
:plusone: i'm in pretty good w/a locksmith & usually if they don't see the registration or title to the vehicle they won't do a damn thing with it. & i'd like to know where you get that done for $12 :headscratch: because that shit like said above is like $120 or even more at times, looks like on the next set you need one of the whistle key chain finders ;)
well as a matter of fact just got a new set of mint plastics off ebay for my friend who is also a member on here... but they didnt come with a key to open the gas tank... and as u should know u cant take the cap off with out it bieng opened.... so he bieng not so bright tried his key breaking it on of course and i pukked his triple gave it to my girl freind who drove it over having no bike knowlegde what so ever and for twelve dollors at the big building that says LOCK AND KEY she got a key cut in about an half hour no info at all.... so i gues its possible.:Laughing rolling:

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts

yep, yep and yep. thats how it is here.

i've seen a locksmith take over an hour to make one tho, and it's always $150 plus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.