Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, however I couldn't find any info on it.

I'm going to be going to Wyoming to work for the summer, and I can't bear the thought of not taking my bike with all those wonderfully empty highways. :Bike: So my plan is stick my bike in the back of my truck and bring it with.

I've only hauled my 250 once before, but that was for 2 miles and I have a feeling my ZX6R will be a completely different beast to haul. I don't think I'll be able to just lift if into the bed of my truck like I did on my 250. :D

So I'm looking for advice on how to load my bike and how to properly secure if for a 18 hour trip across the Rockies.

Advice?

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
get 2 extra people and you can lift it into the back. or, you know, a ramp.

you'll want at least 4 straps. but for a trip that long i usually have like 8 going. get a Canyon Dancer one strap from each bar forward. a strap from each passenger back backwards(if you have pax pegs). another strap from each pax peg going forward. and one strap around each fork leg around the lower triple tree.

make sure you compress the suspension a good amount but not TOO much or you can bottom it out pretty hard. when you leave, check the straps after a couple miles and retighten. check them at every stop for gas or food or whatever.

also tie the tails on the straps around the buckle to help prevent them loosening up.

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
get a ramp, a canyon dancer and a couple straps. when you strap the bike down, make sure to compress the fork and shock a good amount. so when you hit a bump, the bike dosnt try to absorb the force. if that happens it could pop itself out of the straps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks the the info guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I hadn't heard of the Canyon Dancer, that thing looks pretty cool.

I wasn't sure about the ramp, I didn't know if the bike would high center. Can you pick one of those up from just any old bike shop?

Anyone put a cover over their bike while hauling it to protect it?

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
Thanks the the info guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I hadn't heard of the Canyon Dancer, that thing looks pretty cool.

I wasn't sure about the ramp, I didn't know if the bike would high center. Can you pick one of those up from just any old bike shop?

Anyone put a cover over their bike while hauling it to protect it?
i would suggest not using a cover while hauling. the wind will whip the cover around and scratch your paint.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
a cover can do more harm than good, at 70mph they tend to whip around and can scuff and scratch paint.

just need to make sure the ramp's long enough as far as it high centering. if it's too short the angle is greater.

do you have a harbor freight?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about the cover, I'm sure the bike will sit below the cab, so it should be well protected anyway.

I know I could find some loading docks in WY, but I don't know anyone around here that would let me use one.

There is a harbor freight here, they have ramps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts