Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me explain my question a little first. I currently have an 06 zzr600 and am looking to upgrade to a liter bike sometime after the beginning of the year. I am a big kawi fan BUT there is a super high volume honda dealer 2 hours away from me that sells way below msrp and that would basically be the only way I could afford the upgrade. I would wait and save up for the zx10 but I am so bored with the power of my zzr I just cant wait that long. Anyhow back on topic. I honestly like the looks of the honda better but the power is where I may think I would be disappointed. Of course Im upgrading from a 600 so I think I would be pacified for a while. I went to the dealers today and sat on the kawi but wasnt allowed to sit on the honda. from what I saw it looked like the cbr was a more comfortable bike. The zx10 didnt feel natural to me for some reason. I just want to know just how wimpy is the cbr and how well does it handle and stuff. I would post on the honda forum but I know they would be biased. I would rather get an opinion from a kawi guy that has rode the cbr for the comparison.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I"ve rode a couple of hondas the 6 and the 1000, i can say both are stiff and uncomfortable and also lazy with power. But are very well built bikes (its a honda) The kawis are the most comfortable of the group and have enough power then you'll ever need. by the way i own a gixxer hows that for bias lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
No matter what litre bike you get, they are all very close in quarter miles times. Even if it doesn't make QUITE the power of the ZX-10, it is REAL close performance wise. Sport rider has the ZX-10 @ 9.7 and the CBR @ 9.8.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They wouldnt allow you to sit on the Honda? They would have a hell of a time selling a bike they would'nt let a guy sit on. It's not like it's a $120,000 Porsche GT3. Its a damn Honda. They must be afraid to instantly loose the sale after you sit on it and it feels like a board of OSB. Between all the dealers thinking CBR are mighty shit and Civics I want to puke.[xx(] Screw Honda get the ZX-10R it will be worth the wait and money. Hell get the GSXR-1000 before Honda.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nah get whatever you like. It's your money and you will be the one rideing and enjoying it. [:p]

·
Registered
876 Posts
haven't ridden the 1000rr but really not a honda fan based on the few that I've ridden, actually I think I would even go with an R1 first[:0]

If your that much of a power freak, hold out, cuz the hondas got less than the 'other 3' and the 10r is a whole different beast, and aside from that, why join the crowd, get something different, everyone and their mother has a honda,gixxer,r1 - how often do you see a zx10

even though the 10r smokes the rest on paper and the road and the track, its still under rated. just look at what the used ones sell for compared to the other 3, which always get top dollar.

:DBut thats fine with me cuz look at the deal I got on a great bike that will smoke one that someone else paid double for

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 06 blade is a great bike i have drove the 3 litre bikes back to back on the twisties in Scotland, and for road handling and ease of riding i pick the blade over the Gixxer,Although the Gixxer is faster, not by much, it is easier to fire the blade out of corners with the friendlier power delivery.The front wheel is also planted,the only problem is there is no slipper clutch,just be smooth and that takes care of that.
The ZX10r 06 is great also- but leave that to a expereanced rider,it needs a lot of setting up and a little money spent on it.
All of the above is my opinion and riden very fast,but if you take it easy the choice may differ ,get what is most comfortable.
I own a 06 ZX10

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
It's like comparing a Viper and a Porche. If you want a tamed but very capable bike that your grandma can hit twisties on Get the Honda(porche). If you want the unrefined beast that just gets nasty after 6000rpm and may scare you from time to time get the 10 [:p]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go to www.1000rr.com .... look up BROBIN01 ... that is me and you will find lots and lots of comparison on the Two bikes ..... THEY ARE NOT THE SAME !!!!!!

Heres a just One Clip ...
ok ... regarding the CBR1000RR to ZX10R comparison .... there is nothing that will change your mind and that’s OK. Down the road when your CBR needs to be replaced …. Just for the hell of it go out and ride a few ZX10R and GSXR1000s. Make sure to take them far enough out of ear shot from the owner then run them HARD through the 1srt three gears. If that doesn’t change your mind then buy another CBR which is a Great Great Bike!

But for others that are reading this .... the CBR is geared low from the factory. Those not thinking so have just not compared it side by side with the GSXR1000 nor the ZX10. You will be shifting like a 750 through the same roads …. I know because I do this all of the time. On top of that if you are 1 down in front (which is the same as 2.5 up in the back). That turns your CBR into a Short Shifting Buzz Shaw. Now that is Great for Drag Racing or very very tight Twisities. But that is NOT POWER. See ... you have Shorten you Power Band and now spinning higher to keep the CBR in its Small Tight Power Band so things happen very quickly. It is very very common to misinterpret this as actual Power.

And ..... YES I have done the same and even went 1 down in front and 2 up in the back when Drag Racing my ZX11 a few years back. 8 Years ago the ZX11 was the Quickest and Fastest Sportbike out there. I took that as my base then sunk another $6000 of goodies into it. It was sick with Torque and even stayed with the Bone Stock Busa when they came out. But ….. If you spent the $$ and Tuned the BUSA there is no comparison ….. see ….. RAW POWER Always wins out.

Now this is Sacred Cow territory so Im 100% sure you will disagree ..... but the ZX10R is Still making More Power across a LONGER Power Curve. The CBR is Geared Much Much Lower than the ZX10R from the Factory. How do I know .... I run them back to back every week ... I commute on the CBR and RACE with the ZX10.

Regarding Fit and Finish …. This is starting to suck. I love the CBR and this is making me sound like I hate them but facts are facts. Take your CBR and ride it to the local Dealer with the 06ZX10R on the floor then compare the following….

Plastic … press against the plastic and you will find the CBR is thinner, cheaper, and wavy in the light. Now go in and press on the ZX10r and you will find the plastic will Not Flex like the CBR. All of the edges are rolled in for Strength (no hairline cracks from racing) and the fasteners are mostly all screws. You wont be able to tell but I have stripped Both my CBR and ZX10R down side by side for tuning …. The ZX10R plastic is perfectly aligned. The goofy rear section of the CBR takes twisting to get it in.

Tanks .... CBR has a stupid plastic cover and way way to wide at the knees. Go in and sit on the zx10 and you will find the Bigger bike Feels smaller because of the tank. Further, the ZX10 Tank is Metal !! and ..... the ZX10 Tank is concaved for a reason ... run it down the straights at tripple digits and you will find that it Fits You like a Glove which gives more stability at 130 - 170 ranges. Its also a perfect fit when wheeling over 100 ... see it fits into your abs and chest. Its the only bike I have ever had that has this feature and go figure non of the mags even mention it and do u know why ... it rding on the edge

Triple tree and Clip Ons …. Just compare the ZX10R is sick with adjustable bolts, casting, no plastic and solid as a rock The Honda’s speaks for itself.

Gadges … have them start the ZX10 … sick COOL. But the Honda is easier to read. The ZX10 has a built in nano second clock for RACING. You no longer need someone to track you … it built in and clickable at the grips!

Seating and comfort ….. CBR seat Sucks and everyone knows it. Sit on the ZX10R and you will find you that the Tank is Narrower than the CBR and you are on METAL and not that Cheap Plastic which feels way to wide. Big Big difference …. Make the ZX10 feel much smaller than it is. However, the seating on the CBR is FAR more upright …. No forget about the bullshit …. You have to ride the two a few 100 miles to get blown away at how much more relaxed the CBR is. The ZX10 is just to damn Track Focused for ergonomics.

Power and Seat of the pants feel …. I promise you that the CBR feels like a 750 compared to the ZX10. The ZX10 has Smaller injectors so from 1K up it is Smooth as Silk with power to crave !! Now forget about the bullshit where the CBR is smooth through the power band. I work with 3 shops and they all get the same complaint about the CBR Lousy throttling under 3K when pulling off lights in traffic especially during traffic.

Regarding brakes …. Funny here … the CBR disk on the 06 are vibrate when slowing down off throttle …. They are thin and it is even recognized by Honda and it helps with Heat Transfer. The ZX10 are Wave Rotors and Solid like bricks. However, the CBR WILL Stop quicker every time …. Betting its do to the new found weight on the 06ZX10.

Regarding wheels and tires …. Damn ZX10 if factory with a @#[email protected]#$ RACE TIRE … sucks for the wallet and tippy for traffic.
Looks …. BLACK CBR Rocks …. ZX10 is taking time but Im liking it more and more. CBR Wins

Thats it ... am I selling my CBR ... HELL NO I Love it .... compare it to any other bike besides the ZX10 or GSXR1000 and it WINS Hands Down

·
Registered
35 Posts

Previous Bikes:
02 R1 Blue
04 GSXR750
02 R1 Red
00 ZX9R Black Mica
00 R1 Blue
98 CBR900RR Back & Red
98 CBR900RR Yellow
93 ZX11 Red

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's another clip ....

SANDS .... Great write up ... I agree with almost everthing you had to say. And I have had 3 R1s *00 & 02), 1GSXR750 (04), 1ZX10 (06), 1 ZX9r(00), 2 CBR900 (98), 1 CBR1000RR (06).

ZX10 Plastic, tripple tree, rotors, seat, clip ons are a much better quality than my cbr1000rr. Other than that i agree.

ZX10 rumbles from more RAW Power than the CBR(Riding both this afternoon back to back. CBR is powerfull but then you get on the ZX10 and SHIT !

Regarding the CBR1000RR tank cover ... if you havent put a 1000 miles on a ZX10 or K5 then you would have no idea how WIDE the Cover makes the bike Feel. It is completly different and unless you ride them for your self you wont believe it. The stupid plastic was for $$. The cheap flimsy plastic Lays on the Frame .... Why ... Because the FRAM gits so damn Hot from the Engine Heat that they Had to protect the Knees for scortching :) .... it sucks.

Regarding the looks of the ZX10R 06 .... seems like its either love or hate. The CBR is very traditional ... just compare it to the 02-03 R1 ( I had 2) and it is very similar. However the ZX10 stands alone with its design .... I hated it at first but now its growing on me like the BUSA. I now love the BUSA and hoping I will feel the same about the ZX10. I Loved the 04-05 ZX10 looks !! Now with that being said .... I get far more complments on my Green ZX10 ... might just be the color.

Regarding heat on the CBR ... it just plain sucks to have it running Hot all of the time. Then when its running at 225 230 off idle sucks even worse than cold (under 3k off the line in traffic sucks. My buddies suck just as bad as mine. The best of the bunch has a powercommander and Sato slip on .... that ones much smother off the line. ZX10 06 and GSXR1000 04-06 has no such problem.

My ZX10 can walk on the K5 (stock to stock) not a big diff just slight when I can keep the front down. The K5 just plain handles better !! However, the stock K5 and stock ZX10 easly walks away from CBR1000 06. Even though my CBR has the flapper, exhaust valve, drilled muffler and wrapped pipes.

This is tough stuff since folks only owning 1 or 2 super bikes just tend to love them and find it hard to believe another can realy be better than the sick bike they are currently running.

I bought the 06 zx10 first then put 4k on it. I kept reading how the CBR1000 06 rocks and it was better than the zx10 but not as good as the gsxr1000. I wanted another bike so i opted for the CBR because the GSXR1000 06 are every where. I have now put 1200 miles on my CBR1000 06 and it just doesnt compare to the zx10. I subscribe to 4 different mags but none of them talked about the obvious pros and cons. Now and again I run with others with and always always compare feedback to make sure im not missing the boat.

I have bought many bikes and would have loved for someone to simply lay it out for me before i put the $$ down

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have decided that I definately need to test drive some bikes before making any decisions because I see a lot of differing opinions. I think mostly the difference in opinions is rideint style and preference so the only way to see which bike is best suited for me is to ride a few and then make the decision. I appreciate the input and most of what I have read is stuff I have heard before.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by SubHuman
They wouldnt allow you to sit on the Honda? They would have a hell of a time selling a bike they would'nt let a guy sit on. It's not like it's a $120,000 Porsche GT3. Its a damn Honda.

2 dealerships(Honda)my way have a "do not sit on policy" with their Honda bikes(sportbikes)crusiers they dont care.

IMO a policy they should shove up their ass.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen that sign before at dealers but it is usually custom bikes or very expensive ones like the R1 LE. But this dealer has it on quite a few bikes. Honestly about 98% of all bike dealers I have been to are all a bunch of a**holes to deal with anyway. But if anyone wants me to buy their bike bad enough they are gonna have to let me take it for a ride first or they are sol as I will go elsewhere. I didnt plan on buying from this dealer I just wanted to take a look and get a comparison.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would be happy with either bike. The dealership i got mine (Depot Power Center in GA) was selling 06 CBR1000's for 9600 OTD, which almost tempted me to get one. They are very nice bikes, alhough im not a big fan of the graphics on the paint.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey dude, save up for the zx10, way better bike, and if you want to ride one i'll let you ride mine. i live in newport,tn about 20 mins from pigeon forge

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would get the 1krr. Having ridden an 04 1krr back to back with my 04 10r, the honda feels sweet. somehwere between my 10 and a ducati. I felt myself riding faster on a bike that I don't own. Plus all the goodies that come stock. I would kill for an electronic dampner. Yes, it felt down on power, but all the literbikes have so much power you don't need it. I know the 10 is a badass bike, and probably just as fast (if not faster) with a confident experienced rider aboard, but all the literbikes are fast that way. If you really like wheeling though, I heard the hondas have an oil scavenging problem when up on one, and many have had to pay for new motors out of pocket even with an extended warranty (get it, look at all the electronics on the honda).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.