Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 ZX6R and I can only find a service manual (Haynes) that covers up to 1998. Is that gonna work for a 2000 model year Ninja or was there changes to the bike 99-00??

I don't really want the factory book but do any other companies make a 2000+ service manual?

-------------------------
2002 Spectra Blue GT 5spd
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
"Pilots make smoother approaches"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anybody tell me if there is a difference (mechanically) between the '98 and '00 ZX-6R?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Between '98 and '00 ???

Absolutely. Cosmetically it may not APPEAR that different, but the engine was completely revamped, and many parts outside of the lower fairing and the rear panels are completely different. The newer bike is a decent chunk lighter and more powerful, and I find it has a much lower center of gravity.

There ARE some parts that DID carry over however. You'll find the '98 and '99 models identical for the most part, and 2000-2002 the same, and again major revisions for 2003.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

Edited by - dj dunzie on 01/01/2003 14:19:42

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

My question now would be where can I get a service manual for a 2000 ZX-6R?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Haynes has not published service manuals for 1999+ ZX-6Rs due to inadequate market demand.

You can get the Kawasaki service manual, part number 99924-1254-03 for the 2000 to 2002 ZX-6R, from Ronayers.com.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:
Haynes has not published service manuals for 1999+ ZX-6Rs due to inadequate market demand.

You can get the Kawasaki service manual, part number 99924-1254-03 for the 2000 to 2002 ZX-6R, from Ronayers.com.
Thanks, Rob Lee.
So what will be different as far as "servicing" goes? I'm not looking to tear down the bike and build it all back up but stuff like routine maintenance and how to change the clutch, things like that. Would the '98 Haynes manual be ok for that?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your 2000 ZX-6R is quite different from the 1998 bike. Any 1998 manual will be of little use if the parts and specs are different.

The Kawasaki service manual describes scheduled maintenance in detail and is likely used by Haynes to compose their manual. The Haynes manual is a prayer book—the Kawasaki service manual is the Bible.

Why are you reluctant to use the Kawasaki service manual?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cost and availability. I live in Ontario, Canada. To get a Kawasaki manual shipped here will end up costing over $50 CDN.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:
How much did you find the manual for? $50 that seems high, I only paid like $20 if I remember right.

2001 ZX-6R
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/minytrker/bike.htm
http://www.knology.net/~minytrker/
Well, Rob Lee suggested Ronyaers.com and it lists for $27.71 US. If I convert that to Canadian it runs about $42 CDN plus shipping and duty. Whereas I could have bought the Haynes '98 manual for about $24 CDN.

I just thought I might be able to use the '98 Haynes manual to service the bike, etc. I still might get it (Haynes) because it's better than nothing right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
check out www.haynes.co.uk should list a price for your bike.
i think they are £20 in england.
the manual for the G1/2 will cover nearly everything you need for servicing your J series bike.
oils,tyre pressures,tyres etc there's not a lot of difference there.

it all strips down pretty much the same.just take your time and have a good look at everything as you take it off to make sure it goes back in the samne place.

i've got a genuine kwak manual for the J2 so if u need any info let me know and i'll see what i can do.

J.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i just got a copy of the original kawasaki service manual on cd from superpowersports.com . it cost only $20 and came in the mail in about three days. check them out, they carry many different listings. the pictures are clear and you can zoom in and out on everything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by ken fletcher

i just got a copy of the original kawasaki service manual on cd from superpowersports.com . it cost only $20 and came in the mail in about three days. check them out, they carry many different listings. the pictures are clear and you can zoom in and out on everything.
superpowersports.com Doesn't work what is the full address??

·
Registered
537 Posts
Got Kawasaki official manual for my J1 on paper for something like $30 US. It's a good book to have.

Does your boss know you print books? :D Mine told me to print out the internet, so she can look over it on her way home. [8D] (J/K)

ZX6R-J1 2000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.