Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a valve job after the next race and will be looking to raise the compression...I have heard that the 636's really respond well to pumping up the compression.

Couple of concerns here...Milling the head will change the squish area...Is this a good thing or bad on the 04 636 motors ??? Or should I just run the "Kit" base and head gaskets ???

On the valve job end of it...Thinking of sending the head to A.P.E. and having the valve job done on one of their Serdi valve seat machines...What is you guys experience if any with A.P.E. or valve jobs done using Serdi machinery...I know of automotive "drag racing" valve jobs the seat is so thin you can barely see it.

I like the idea of the Serdi machine because all the seats should be almost exactly the same...They claim "the perfect valve job"...I can same some coins by going to Austin and doing the valve job myself at a buddy's machine shop.

But really looking for the "best" method on both the valve job and how to go about raising the compression.

Mill the head or just use the "kit" base and head gaskets.

Serdi for the valve job or the old fashion way with stones.

Recomendations and experience would be greatly appreciated !!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Serdi. Much more consistent. My set of SV heads that I just pulled and looked at were done on a Serdi and were perfect after 3k of track miles, and ALL the valves still had identical clearance ( 2 thou smaller)

Pistons are usually the best way to raise compression, or get adjustable sprockets for the cams and tighten the lobe centers. But either way check piston to valve clearance before you start the motor. It is an easy process and if you have inadequate clearance you will ruin a cam, piston, head or worse. Ask me how I know this.

Think twice about milling the head, you are stuck with what you get and as you point out, it may not help squish area. Thinner head gasket/base gasket is better idea often. Use copper spray.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am trying to find out what effect milling the head has on the squish area...Good or Bad.

Would prefer to stay away from milling unless it changes the squish area in a positive way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.