Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding hard yesterday when my head started to shake. I was in 5th gear accelerating hard getting ready to shift 6 when the head started shaking. I was doing a little over 100 mph. I stayed calm, closed the throttle and was able to recover. I’m not sure if I hit a small bump or what. What caused that and how do you prevent it from happening. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The speed combined with the light weight of these bikes makes it happen easy. Try a damper (GPR, Ohlins, etc.) to fix the problem. Also, heavy preload in the front shock can add to causing it too.

·
Registered
810 Posts
+1 on that. Damper would fix headshake, and its on my list of things to buy next [B)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check to make sure your steering stem nut is not not loose.I recently found mine had backed off and I had alot of head shake.Torque it to 58 ft. lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
All things being equal you need a steering damper as these bikes should have one standard...
i run the hyper-pro as it gets rid of the headshake,,,,and yes my bike is set-up properly

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Thanks guys. Looks like I need to add steering damper to my ever growing list I need for my bike. I'll check my stem nut tonight and make sure it's at 58 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
871 Posts
you can also get your suspension set up for your weight which would help. I had my suspension done through a Race Tech shop and the headshakes are now a lot less common and the bike feels more planted in turns.

·
Registered
857 Posts
a little headshake isn't to bad that can happen often without a steering damper under hard accell, what you wanna worry about is violent tank slappers had that happen to me 3 times now, most recent was caused by a big pothole..the right handlbar smacked into my wrist pretty hard can't ride for a few days...when it's that violent you can't hold on just let go and hope it calms...i wish i could afford a steering damper lol

·
Registered
857 Posts
not even just cruising along in a higher gear low rpm going about maybe 90km/h which is about 54mph...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by loesch8102
Damn. Not good. Where you really on it when you hit the pot hole?
Yeah. I wouln't call it a pot hole but more like a small dimple. I did a search on dampers and I think I'm going with a GPR. A lot of people like them.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978

Yeah. I wouln't call it a pot hole but more like a small dimple. I did a search on dampers and I think I'm going with a GPR. A lot of people like them.
i'm pretty sure he was referring to my reply just above his where i got some violent headshake from a big pothole...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've only ever gotten headshake twice. Once as the wheel was starting to come up in 2nd, and once in a slight turn on a freeway at ~100mph (small bump). Anyone have a link for the hyperpro damper? I kinda liked the Scott, but drilling holes in my bike is out of the question.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
make sure you OPEN the throttle during head shake not close it.
if i opened the throttle the first time i got it i woulda went into a median followed by lamp post...they were both pretty violent not slight headshake you can;t really hold on when it's wipping back and forth so fast...letting off the throttle cured it everytime i had it so ima keep on what im doin..

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Only once have I had headshake hard enough to be called a tank slapper. I got a bruised right wrist from, surprisingly enough, my wrist slapping the tank, while still holding the bars. Shifted from first to second, front end was light (forks fully extended, but front wheel still on the ground), and right then I hit a couple of bumps in the road. I rode through it, but I've gotta say, the incident had a high pucker factor for me.

I haven't gotten any tankslappers since. I haven't got a damper. I keep a relaxed but firm grip on the bars, not a deathgrip. I don't use my arms/hands/wrists to support my upper body.

In short, I fixed what was causing the problem, which was my riding posture. I still sometimes get headshake, but it is minimal, predictable, and controllable. I could have got a damper, but why pay 400 bucks, when improving my riding cost me nothing, and benefits me much more.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't wait to get a GPR damper. What color would look good with the 06 plasma blue?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by CTBlue
Only once have I had headshake hard enough to be called a tank slapper. I got a bruised right wrist from, surprisingly enough, my wrist slapping the tank, while still holding the bars. Shifted from first to second, front end was light (forks fully extended, but front wheel still on the ground), and right then I hit a couple of bumps in the road. I rode through it, but I've gotta say, the incident had a high pucker factor for me.

I haven't gotten any tankslappers since. I haven't got a damper. I keep a relaxed but firm grip on the bars, not a deathgrip. I don't use my arms/hands/wrists to support my upper body.

In short, I fixed what was causing the problem, which was my riding posture. I still sometimes get headshake, but it is minimal, predictable, and controllable. I could have got a damper, but why pay 400 bucks, when improving my riding cost me nothing, and benefits me much more.
EXACTLY! [:M120]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, me also. I found not giving the bars a death grip helps. Let the bike do its thing, otherwise you are ENDUCING the headshake. I did a test once...

*DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME*

Riding at about 120KM/h wiggling the bars like a headhskae would to see how the bike handles it. and WOW, I almost threw myself off!!!! That just showd me how easy it is to "enduce" a headshake by deathgripping the bike. I now ride alot more relaxed and have had much cleaner underwear since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.