Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up my 99/00 head swap last night and finally my bike ran.It wont hold an idle but it fired on all four .It will run as long as you hold the throttle open just a hair.I think i might be a little advanced or retarded on the timing is there away to adjust timing without taking the head appart. Or i might just need some carb set up.:cool: Any help would be great

·
Registered
56 Posts
just sent you a PM. timing off a hair?? the timing is done by rotor on right side of crank. don't see how it could be off after putting new head on? Do you mean cam timing? If that were off a tooth, I have been told you would immediately know and It wouldn't run. I don't have experience with it being off a tooth, but that is what I was told when I adjusted valves recently. here is from the thread:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/zx9/forum/showthread.php?t=13612

·
Registered
132 Posts
a quick fix is just adjust the throttle cable a bit you could have messed it up when going back together or not. but if it run with the throttle open a hair why not adjust it a hair quick and easy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noisey cams

I installed the air box and the bike ran a hair better but the cams are noisey as if i can hear them open and closing do you guys think that i might have been a hair off of top dead center would this be the cause of my noise.:buzzsaw:

·
Registered
264 Posts
i didnt pull the chain tight enough on mine and it ended up one off, engine wouldnt even turn over completely by hand, guessing the valve hit the piston

so i took it apart and reset everything, and ended up snapping a bolt that holds the cam caps down, wasnt even at the specified tq setting and it snapped, ended up buying another head off ebay because the bolt was snapped so far down and i couldnt get it out, amazing how a 50 cent bolt can ruin your week

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mixed up valve shims

I had a talk with my mechanic buddy and figured out where i went wrong i put the valve shims in the wrong spot.When i flipped over my head on the work bench the valve caps fell off most of the valves so when i put the head back together i just placed the caps on any valve missing a cap.Just a heads up for anybody working on there head mark and label valve cap and shim location so you dont end up having to redue valve heights.The valve shims are just little magnets and all appear to be the same size but when you measure them they will be slighty different:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts