Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to get some headwork done on my 04 636, and i was wondering if anyone has had some done and if so where at.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
what exactly you wanting to have done?

will be pulling mine this winter to clean the ports,combustion chamber & thinner head gasket and have a 5 angle valve job done...then i will degree the cams in.

Looking to have star or kws do the valve job though..
if you need some help let me know..i am up at west point

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since i had to drop the engine the other day because i've got a bad knock i figured i might as well do something to get some more power while i've got the engine out.

What would you suggest?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
isn't the 05-06 head better as far as hp is concerned? that might be the way to go if you want a big power increase. it might cost the same to buy a head, clean it and adjust the valves then to have the old one ported and redone.

another thing you could do is install cams.

·
Registered
997 Posts
For a DIY job i'd give the ports a polish and smooth em out this will give u a faster smoother reving engine no real HP to gain tho maybe very minimal but wil feel faster...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i had wondered about this myself, if anyone had done anything other than the usual power commander and exhaust mods..

For the 03/04 636, fit the 05/06 636 exhaust and inlet cams (which are sold to the 03/04 riders as 'race cams, but fitted to the 05/06 as stock), then after that, I'd have a look at getting the head flowed and polished. Have the valves checked over, and reseated (depending on milage of the bike), then you could go as far as lightening and balancing the crank etc, flywheel (if it's worth it, not sure on this), bloody top notch oil and a dyno session, and it should be running sweet. Most of that, I'm thinking of having done to mine..

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yeah thats the big thing with th 03/04 oing to the 05/06 cams...
The head of the 6RR's are far superior then the 636's but are not compaible with the 636..

i have an extra head laying here i picked for a couple bucs,wantd to make sure it would be worth plling before i did, and i am thinking there is a going to be a benifti for sure with the the head cleanup and vlve job. hell just bumping compression up litle and degreeing the camse should wake the bike up a nice little bit.

Progress to follow in the next couple months..but i will post up pics of the head after i get the valves out,,,

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
so are the 03-04 heads actually diffent then the 05-06's or is it just the camshafts that are differnet? if it is just the cams, why could one not install the 05-06 cams into the 03-04 motor for that extra power?

i have been looking for an 05-06 636 head to install on my 03 motor to hopefully pick up some big gains. if i can find an 05-06 head cheap enough, i would also pick up a set of 05-06 race cams to maximize the gain.

any info would be helpfull.

thanks
anthony

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don't know if the heads are the same/swapable, but the cams in the 05s are the performance ones for the 03/04s, so they're a straight swap (bar any knackered springs etc)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Originally posted by jdgun_13
yeah thats the big thing with th 03/04 oing to the 05/06 cams...
The head of the 6RR's are far superior then the 636's but are not compaible with the 636..

i have an extra head laying here i picked for a couple bucs,wantd to make sure it would be worth plling before i did, and i am thinking there is a going to be a benifti for sure with the the head cleanup and vlve job. hell just bumping compression up litle and degreeing the camse should wake the bike up a nice little bit.
Hmmmmm, so your going to have an extra 05-06 head. you willing to sell it?

i wouldnt see why the 05-06 head would not swap onto the 03-04 motor, they are basicly the same from what i have found on the net.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been thinking about pulling my head this winter and taking a peek to see what i can do. I'll keep you guys updated on it...probably take some pics too

I wouldnt recommend just anyone getting out the dremel and grinding away. Unless you have ALOT of experience with cylinder heads you will probably make it worse. Most motorcycle heads are very good from the factory and improving them isnt usually easy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i think i'm gonna go with the 05-06 cam idea and polish the ports. If i were to go with a thinner head gasket would i have to retard the ignition? Also what would a 5 degree valve grind do?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use the thinner head gasket and it works fine. I always use 93 octane and some maxima hi-test octane booter. Check out kwsmotorsports.com for the head work.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
do you really need to run octane booster with 93 octane??? the 03-04 only needs 90. what does the 05-06 need???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by hiyaboa
I wouldnt recommend just anyone getting out the dremel and grinding away. Unless you have ALOT of experience with cylinder heads you will probably make it worse. Most motorcycle heads are very good from the factory and improving them isnt usually easy.
[:+1] Not to be an ass in any way, but if you are asking about what effect any sort of engine work would have on your bike (short of straight part swaps) I'd say find out if you have any good shops in your area and have them do it for you. Increasing air flow isn't just a matter of opening a port up...and without a flowbench you really would have no idea if you were helping or hindering that flow. You could port match if there is any need for that, although I'd doubt that the machining on modern super sports is sloppy enough to really require that... *shrug* If you open it up and it does have room for improvement be sure to let us know tho. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
i work for a very reputable cylinder head shop(import and some pro stock bikes) and i see the "home ported" shit all the time and it almost always is worse than stock...so ill warn anyone i think is getting ready to make that mistake..it takes years to learn what works and how to properly do it(although many online how-to articles will tell you it doesnt)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by hiyaboa
i work for a very reputable cylinder head shop(import and some pro stock bikes) and i see the "home ported" shit all the time and it almost always is worse than stock...so ill warn anyone i think is getting ready to make that mistake..it takes years to learn what works and how to properly do it(although many online how-to articles will tell you it doesnt)
yep.

just removing material isnt the way to do a good port and polish job. understanding the flow design and all of the head and how and where to remove material from is the key. theres more to it than that but thats the basics

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i really didn't plan on porting the intakes, just polishing them up. (getting rid of the burs)
that shouldn't cause to many problems should it?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
good thing i have have done over a dozen heads in my lifetime on cars And 4 motorcycles
Had some coaching from a very reutable shop that was building 9 second street bikes back in 91..

But yeah there is an art and science to it...from my initial finding on the head, there is nothing really more then some flash to clean up and smooth down the area around the valve stem.
Maybe worth 1-3 rwhp but hey with that, a thinner headgasketa nd degreeing the cams, should be good enough for little boost for sure, and being i can do all my work, EXCEPT the valve job, i am totally up for the task at hand.

And for the fuel thihg, the new zx6RR is running 13.9-1 compressiona nd NO KNOCK SENSOR! so bumping to 13.2-13.4 should not be an issue i will be sure to have it dynoed before and after on the same dyno when i do this.also will be on pump gas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.