Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I just came across some headders, just wondering if anyone has changed/ swapped their stock for an aftermarket, is it a simple task to do? Is it simply bolting off / bolting on? Or more complicated. Trying to completely cut out the mechanic- wanted to charge me 250 to change oil & spark plugs, he can't be serious! I bought my own hardware & done it myself.. So, if anyone can give me a run down on the in's & outs of swapping my stock headder for an aftermarket would be much appreciated, thanks in advance...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's fairly simple. You have to remove your lower plastics, and unbolt the radiatior to get a little room, but after that it's only a few bolts to get the old headers off and the new ones on. There should be 2 for each cylinder, and one under the bike for the factory header that didn't get replaced on mine.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
It wasn't too hard on my 02, it was a few years ago so lets see what I remember:

-Remove both side fairings
-put something under the exhaust to support it, I put it near where the headers joined together to the midpipie.
-loosen radiator, or remove it totally if you really want easy access (I just removed the bolts so I could move it around freely, but left the hoses on)
-loosen bolts on headers 1 at a time, just loosening a bit, then move to the opposite site, like criss crossing, to prevent any warping. Once they are all loose, you can remove them
-loosen bolts holding exhaust can to the mid-pipe, and remove exhaust pipe from subframe.
-It should now just be held by the bolt under the engine, remove this and you can then pull out the headers/midpipe

-To install new headers, they should have come with some metal gaskets, if not, get some.
-put new headers in place on the engine and just put the nuts on enough to keep it hanging there, loosely.
-support the headers under the bike again
-attach midpipe and new can, use provided springs or bolts, or whatever it came with to hold this together.
-Now you can tighten down the headers, agian, do criss cross pattern to prevent any warping.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Just to add to what greeny says after you have installed the header dont put the fairings back on. Start the bike warm it up for 5 minutes then shut it down, when it cools re-tighten the nuts and then your good to put the fairings back on (heating it up will bed the gaskets in and also any shrinkage of the headers after cooldown).

Then ya good to go

Russ

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
unfortunately the header nuts dont have a torque setting which is why i stated the above as its a tried and tested way of getting them bed in nicely without stripping the threads.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.